Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:42:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]  (Read 18279 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »

The themes suuuuuuuuuck

edit: Oh wow I paged the thread now everyone gets to see this, great.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 09:10:56 PM »

Some of them can only kind of work out for me is because I've found decent ways to work them into ideas I had for other themes so that I might get to do one of those games anyway—but that's a bad way of thinking, because one should be voting in terms of one would like to play and not what one would like to make, and I'm not as excited about how varied the results would be in general with some of these themes...

But there are always gems, so I'll trust people to be creative no matter the theme!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:16:46 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 09:29:14 AM »

I guess more administration is the only solution, really.

That's one way of doing it. But part of the fun in the voting is that the result is only effected by the participants direct input. Like a mathematical function  that takes a tremendously large input and returns a single string (the final theme).

One idea I've been toying with for a few days is to replace the theme slaughter with a theme sorter. Suggested themes would be sorted in to categories by the community. The community would then vote on the category. The theme would finally be selected by taking the theme that was most often sorted into the most popular category, or something like that.

This way we would get the theme that the community actually wants, even though it may not know that it wants it.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »

I like that idea!

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »

The voting has always been been a bit negative, just human nature, i geuss. A different system for voting would be quite interesting.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 04:06:19 PM »

I thought the themes are pretty good myself. I mean if you only go with the most literal meaning they are pretty underwhelming but bent and twisted a bit and most of them are fertile grounds for some interesting ideas.

"Hunted", "Beyond the Wall", "Isolation", "Keep it Alive", and "One Room" are probably my favorites (I almost wish all of those had to be used to make a game as I already can imagine one using them).

I have a basic RPG/dungeon crawler game framework I've been working on design-wise already that I plan on bending and twisting and molding into whatever topic is thrown out there (I will start from scratch as soon as it is go time, but I mean I have a general plan in mind). I figure this LD will be useful for killing two birds with one stone (creating an LD submission but alsoo actually building a starting prototype for my project and seeing what cool direction LD drives me to take it).

I've yet to make it through an LD, I have some kind of calamity-inflicting curse that seems to strike when I attempt LD. At the extremes one year my neck broke and another I overdosed on a muscle relaxer that was causing periodic bouts of amnesia and almost killed me. I had expected this year a bus would fly out of the sky and land on me but instead I just have an upper jaw abscess that spread infection into my lower jaw, ear, sinus, eye socket, etc. and makes me feel like at all times I am being stabbed in the face all over with a red hot fire poker. I went to the ER and the doctor lanced it and put me on heavy-duty antibiotics so hopefully it will clear up a bit in the next day or two.

In any case, calamity or not, I'm in this year and hope to make magic happen. My wife and kids are on board and rooting for me so that's always a good morale booster.

I got this shit!! CoffeeToast Right

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »

That's absolutely horrible. I seem to recall you deal with a lot of physical problems regularly anyway? You're admirable for continually seeming to march on so carelessly. It's good to hear you've got the support from home.

Won't allow another bizarre LD accident—here's to you getting through this one without anything of the sort! And best of luck with your entry!

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 12:13:05 AM »

I thought the themes are pretty good myself. I mean if you only go with the most literal meaning they are pretty underwhelming but bent and twisted a bit and most of them are fertile grounds for some interesting ideas.

Yeah, I know hating the themes is kinda a thing but for me it's all part of the challenge to make the theme work for you. I usually never pay much attention to the theme voting because I like the surprise. Anyway, I'm IN! 

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 07:10:19 AM »

That's absolutely horrible. I seem to recall you deal with a lot of physical problems regularly anyway? You're admirable for continually seeming to march on so carelessly.
Once the disk in my neck ruptured years back it pretty much started a massive snowball effect health-wise and my immune system went out the window. All I can really do is shrug and move on because wallowing in misery and self-pity gets pretty boring after a while. Art, video games, and other hobbies make it easier to keep my mind off of the worst of it, so for the most part it is more amusing (after the fact) than a tragedy that I keep bouncing through so many crazy situations.

It's good to hear you've got the support from home.

Won't allow another bizarre LD accident—here's to you getting through this one without anything of the sort! And best of luck with your entry!
Thanks! Smiley

So far so good! CoffeeToast Right

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 08:37:19 AM »

"Hunted", "Beyond the Wall", "Isolation", "Keep it Alive", and "One Room" are probably my favorites (I almost wish all of those had to be used to make a game as I already can imagine one using them).

You know what? "Isolation - Hunted beyond the wall" sounds awesome. Perhaps it's as simple as always mashing the top 3 themes together.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »

You know what? "Isolation - Hunted beyond the wall" sounds awesome. Perhaps it's as simple as always mashing the top 3 themes together.

Also add "John Snow - in - Isolation, Hunted Beyond the Wall". Great theme! Or... er...

I'm so pumped about LD now.. Decided to ditch C4D that I'm extremely comfortable with and instead use Blender that I've almost never used for this jam.. Bound for disaster but hey, might be some fun disaster. And free! Back to learning Blender..

Twitter: @pbergmar
HDSanctum
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 01:50:52 PM »

The themes for this Ludum Dare are uncharacteristically good Shocked
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »

CoffeeToast Right It's go time!!!

Toast Left Grin Toast Right WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Toast Left Evil Toast Right

THEME: Ancient Technology

Good luck everybody!! Smiley

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »

I'm in!  Doing Ludum Dare for the second time (last time was back in 2012).

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »

I have now discovered that GameMaker is somehow no longer installed on my computer.

wat.

wy.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 10:41:02 PM »

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 01:10:46 AM »

Got up some 3-4 hours ago (it starts in the middle of the night here, so we prefer just getting up early a few hours later instead to keep a reasonable sleeping schedule going). We had an idea that we spitballed back and forth with certain disagreements until eventually we sort of dropped it, but developed a new idea based on the old one, so it's still in the same sort of spirit. We're just about to start programming a bit, so will be back with something later hopefully. c:

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 01:11:13 AM »

That looks awesome, Alec. I love your 3D stuff, it tows the line between retro and modern nicely.

Kick some ass and take some names, Prinsessa!!  CoffeeToast Right

I too have progress... Hasty progress, but progress none the less.
For whatever reason Spine exports the GIFs in slow motion apparently.
Anyways:

Walking...

Running...

Found something (pretend she's rummaging through some containers)...

Got hit...

Whooping some ass...

The dirt trails when running, glinting aura when finding something, all the particles and whatnot when unleashing some magical fury, etc. are all going to be added in GM:S.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2016, 05:57:35 AM »

Really digging the coluor scheme on that character.  Well, hello there!

So far >50% of my time has been spent with various tooling issues. Just discovered mostly the fact that ractive.set() modifies state in places it shouldn't (the reason for why it's doing it is still unclear to me). This is unfortunate since I'm trying out a more functional/immutable style of coding than I usual.

Anyways, I have uploaded a first "something". Does not really do much of interest yet, but it's arguably interactive.
http://www.superattack.se/games/ld-36/latest/

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »

Looking good, everyone. C:

We haven't got gameplay to show yet (I'm focusing on modelling today while Morten is doing most of the programming for now, so we'll see when he's/we've got something playable).

Wrote a little traditional blog post saying we're in at least (which I prefer waiting with until after starting):
http://ludumdare.com/compo/2016/08/27/the-trio-is-back-with-sportsing/

Here's the cocky base model of a sportsing sports person at least:

We're planning eight characters in total, so there's no slacking off for me! Over and out. c:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic