Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:39:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]  (Read 18364 times)
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2016, 09:14:10 AM »

Good luck guys !!!

My last game:

Supporter of
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »

Haven't been able to work for so long but this is what I have so far:

Twitter: @pbergmar
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »

I'm giving up. At my current pace the game wouldn't be remotely finished by the end of the compo, and with my declining motivation the pace is only going to decrease. If through some miracle the game could be finished by the end of the compo, it would still look like complete ass and suffer from massive balancing issues.

My idea was to make a deckbuilding game where the players are ancient civilizations, and cards need to be unlocked on the players' tech trees before they can be bought. Resources to unlock techs and buy cards come from territory cards which players fight over (the cards in deck are mainly military units and special effect cards).

A simple enough concept, but it required significant user interface work (not just in interaction, but more so in presentation). I figured that since Unity already has a lot of the features I need, it would be much quicker to do in Unity. This was easily my biggest mistake this LD, if not my biggest mistake in any LD. I found myself working less with Unity and more against Unity, and after a long struggle I got it to render the cards in hand, the deck and the cards in play...for one player. (Well, technically not even that, because I still haven't got the text to stop clipping through the cards.) Just getting the game to play properly would probably take all of LD, not taking into account content creation, AI, etc.

Overall my motivation seems to be declining over LDs, though. Every time I make the same basic things again I get more demotivated. (This was part of the reason for the switch to Unity, to shake things up a bit.) Maybe I've been making too many games, or maybe my full-time programming job is draining my motivation. This is my second failed LD in a row; I'm not sure if I'll even bother trying next LD.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »

That looks awesome, PetterBergmar! I love the sand raining down off the edges, it is a real nice touch!

Hang in there, VDZ.

Don't make it pretty just make it functional, even if it is just functional on the most basic level (save the bulk of the presentation work for after LD). If Unity is not working for you throw it all together in something you're more comfortable working in.

I already have the demons going in my head "I don't like this! I don't like that! This looks like crap! That's not good enough!" and there is plenty of shit not working the way I want it to (Spine and GM:Studio's conflicts set me back a good few hours as I tried to figure out what the problem was). I've attempted and failed a lot more LDs than two.

I just have to keep reminding myself not to focus on making a finished game (in which I can succeed or fail) but to focus on seeing what I can do in 48 hours (in which success and failure are not really factors). I'm treating it like an endurance test.

Besides, maybe if you don't have something finished for the 48 hour solo compo you might end up with enough finished that you can pull some people in for the 72 group jam and finish it for that.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »

I started late because I was on holiday, but now I have BADLY HAND-DRAWN GRAPHICS and GREEN ALIENS and WORDS IN ALL-CAPS.

I'm using Rpgmaker because it's the only tool I'm able to use, but it's not really suited for game jams << gotta start using Game Maker/Stencyl/SOMETHING sooner or later.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Tselmek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »

It took us a long while to search for a cool idea, in vain. So we went for a good ol' classic platformer for now and we'll see how it goes. Here's our progress so far.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »

Oooh, even more nice games coming along! Gomez

I'm about to give in and go to bed now. Our first day has had work kind of separated so far.

Morten has been programming without any graphical assets:

I've been working on those assets by animating a character without any character designs, just animating the rig and club:

Marte has been trooping along despite feeling ill, designing some of these characters, explaining why my animations look a bit weird (getting up really fast after falling; floaty feet): they've got hover boots!

The idea is to make them very JRPG because our deal is to try and mix JRPG stereotypes with sport game stereotypes in a wonky way... Tongue

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »

My game's been coming along pretty well.  I'm using my code-base, so this has been something of a test of how quickly I can rapid-prototype something using it. 

The basic premise is that you're exploring an ancient facility on an alien world, and in order to progress, you have to power up parts of the facility, which both lets you open the doors but also activates the security systems.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2016, 05:26:34 PM »

I made a thing that I hope looks okay.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »

Progress report for "Touch the Monolith".
When I started I had no idea where it was going but it became.. something. It's kinda like WarioWare but without the pressure. I think I'm done for the most part. I usually like to spend the last day just polishing. Music is left too. Ok, time for bed. Night everybody and good luck!

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 01:13:07 AM »

I'm probably out this round. Although seeing all the cool stuff posted in this thread makes me think maybe I should still go at it.

Overall my motivation seems to be declining over LDs, though. Every time I make the same basic things again I get more demotivated. (This was part of the reason for the switch to Unity, to shake things up a bit.) Maybe I've been making too many games, or maybe my full-time programming job is draining my motivation. This is my second failed LD in a row; I'm not sure if I'll even bother trying next LD.

Tool switching is a double edged sword. What you gain in potential productivity, you lose in accumulated experience. Perhaps Unity is the wrong tool for you, perhaps you just need more experience with it.

Anyway. I can really identify with the whole daytime-programmer vs. sparetime-programmer problem. Maybe build a physic card game next time? Your game concept sure sounded cool.

LD should be done for amusement. If you're not enjoining it, then stop and figure out why you're not having fun. Hope to see you in the next one.

(edit: proper grammar, just a little bit)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:06:04 AM by Jordgubben » Logged

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »

Submitted! Try it here:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=47199

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:01:05 PM by Silkworm_sweatshop » Logged

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »

Played and rated it, really good!
My only (really minor) gripe was the dark turn it took during the last rooms - it makes sense from a narrative standpoint, but I felt the serious themes clashed a bit with the overall silly gameplay.
I'd love to see the concept expanded.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:16:42 PM by Bricabrac » Logged

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »

Progress report for "Touch the Monolith".
When I started I had no idea where it was going but it became.. something. It's kinda like WarioWare but without the pressure. I think I'm done for the most part. I usually like to spend the last day just polishing. Music is left too. Ok, time for bed. Night everybody and good luck!

Man that is the best one so far!!

Twitter: @pbergmar
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2016, 01:22:17 PM »

Jam goes on and we're at a bit of a boring midpoint where a lot of stuff is about to happen but an update right now wouldn't be very interesting to look at. We've got more than 24 hours left and we're intent on using those to the fullest, so I'll be back later. c:

Nice to see all these submissions cropping up so far! Looking forward to having a proper peek when I'm not rushing to finish my own. Coffee Coffee Coffee

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »

My only (really minor) gripe was the dark turn it took during the last rooms - it makes by a narrative standpoint, but I felt the serious themes clashed a bit with the overall silly gameplay. I'd love to see the concept expanded.

I hear you. I wasn't really sure how to best end it. My original idea was to go much further in time but I decided to just narrow it down to the Dawn of man in fitting with the theme but also because it would have been too much work to get it properly paced. I do think a dark turn could be pretty powerful but I think it might require some more pacing as well. I see how it can feel a bit tacked on right now.

Man that is the best one so far!!

Not for long, I'm sure Cheesy (but thank you!).   

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »

I did a thing

I didn't finish it though

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2016, 04:15:33 PM »

I didn't finish it though
You've still got another full day if you make it a jam entry instead.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »

I unfortunately work tomorrow, so I can't. And believe me, I considered it!

Edit: I'll def keep working on it though, the idea I had for it is cool and I want to see it happen.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2016, 04:17:15 PM »

Aww. I actually have a day job this time, but I took the day off. Gomez

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic