Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411483 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:32:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCute Turn Based Strategy Prototype. Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cute Turn Based Strategy Prototype. Feedback  (Read 1194 times)
koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »

Hey everyone,  Who, Me?

I have been spending my evenings lately on a little turn based game prototype. It is inspired a lot by Advance Wars and some old DOS strategies.

I would be happy to know if it sparks a bit of interest and get any kind of feedback from fellow game enthuasiasts.

In particular I would like to know your opinion on:
  • Do you feel like no-back-strike when attacking an enemy units is fun choice?
  • Do you miss typical for this genre fullscreen fight cutscenes?
I am also running out of chocolate, so I need a new energy source...  Coffee

You can find an HTML5/WebGL build here: http://mandarincake.com/tbs

Requirements: tested in Chrome 49.0.2623.87 and Firefox 48.0, but may as well work in other browsers.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:37:07 PM by koalefant » Logged

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
BorealGames
Level 0

Bradley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 09:04:09 AM »

I really like the similarities to Advance Wars--I am a big fan of Fire Emblem and other older turn-based strategies.

Here are my thoughts:
  • I was a bit confused as to why I couldn't just "end turn" or move and then attack without it disabling my unit. 
  • I had to actually "move" into my opponent to attack it.  I couldn't move and then attack or attack and then move.
  • I also didn't really understand why the ranged guy had circles on his range. 
  • Also, could I move through some units but not others?
  • The levels were also not labeled so I didn't really know what was going on there.

The biggest thing I think you should focus on is not constraining yourself to the exact game structure/rules of Advance War. Be different!

To answer your questions,  I think the strike back is really a balance decision.  Fire Emblem strikes back and other games do as well.  I personally think it adds more depth to strategy if you do include striking back, especially with units of different ranges.

I don't necessarily miss the cut-scenes, though I think that many people really enjoyed the Fire Emblem cut scenes because they added action to a game that without it was more like chess.  I suggest you work more on the fundamentals of the game, make sure it's fun by itself, and then add in extras.

Overall I didn't have much trouble starting the game or playing without errors, so I applaud you on that Hand Clap Good work!

Bradley

Working on an immersive card game in 3D.
Crystal Companies
koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »

Thank you for an elaborate response. I could not wished more. Hand Metal LeftGrin

Some answers and opinions below.

• I was a bit confused as to why I couldn't just "end turn" or move and then attack without it disabling my unit.
I was replaying AW recently and I felt that UI is a bit clunky. I thought that input could be more streamlined and number of button presses reduced.

Here is how I attempted to address it:
1. Reset move points as soon as unit is moved.
2. End turn as soon as there is no units with move points.

This allowed for unit selection and turn ending to happen automatically most of the time. I realize that this breaks conventional control scheme and some of the moves like swapping units, but it allows turn to be made in just couple of clicks. I have to keep an eye on this now, not to annoy experienced players. Blink Getting end-turn button back should be easy though.

• I had to actually "move" into my opponent to attack it. I couldn't move and then attack or attack and then move.
That is partially due to previous point. One can still move next to the enemy and then attack, unless it is an artillery. So attack points are separate from move points atm. and don't get reset with move.

As for attack finishing the turn - there is a number of games that do this (e.g. AW, Battle for Wesnoth), so I started there and have not explored other possibilities yet.

• I also didn't really understand why the ranged guy had circles on his range.
This is made to communicate the fire range to the player. Most of the people who tried it could not figure out why artillery doesn't attack units directly next to it. Perhaps this could be done in a more subtle way...

• Also, could I move through some units but not others?
One can move past own units, but get blocked by the enemy units.

• The levels were also not labeled so I didn't really know what was going on there.
I am not working on the campaign yet - still experimenting with the mechanics.

I think the strike back is really a balance decision.  Fire Emblem strikes back and other games do as well.  I personally think it adds more depth to strategy if you do include striking back, especially with units of different ranges.
I personally thought that not having strike back actually increases range of outcomes and gives more impact to your actions. Surprisingly, most of the people I asked prefer to have it. I also got some feedback from players unfamiliar with the genre who suggests that fighting back is more natural and expected. It is certainly something to try out for me now.

Again, thank you for your valuable suggestions. Smiley

RedHickory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 07:45:06 AM »

I like the style here and the game itself is a fun start.  The biggest frustration I had was that no matter how far you move a unit, it uses his whole turn.  That just really limits your strategy.  I don't know if this was a feature of Advance Wars or not, but for playability's sake, I would change that.  Also, some information about how terrains affect battle outcomes would also be helpful.  I put together that standing on a mountain meant better defense, but knowing how much better defense would be useful.  Overall I really like it.  It loaded fast and played very smoothly.  Good luck with it.

My browser-based RPG (WIP) - Chronicles of Tright.
koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:51:13 AM »

@RedHickory: thank you, terrain information and keeping move points after the first turn is on my short-term list now. As soon as I am done with multiplayer...  Evil

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 11:32:36 AM »

Good work. It would be nice to have an indicator as to when your opponents can retaliate to your location next turn. Just some kind of warning that you are in the range of unit X. Art style is very nice.

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:43:01 AM »

@msilver: Thanks a lot. That is a good idea, I will add some highlighting for this.

Meanwhile I stepped away from the multiplayer for a moment and made a small update: terrain effects are now shown when moving unit and during the battle:

I wonder if it is clear what happening with these icons.

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 03:21:45 PM »

I made an update that implements some of the suggestions above:
  • Units fight back now! Yay, the game ends much quicker now, I think I will have to rebalance damage and HP points.
  • Move points are not reset after first movement of the unit
  • End turn button is back.

I thank everyone for their feedback! Beer!

Just started the DevLog: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57592.0

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic