Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:29:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creativeno highscore in shmups
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: no highscore in shmups  (Read 1327 times)
Stahlkaiser
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2016, 02:48:24 AM »

Do you think a shmup always needs a scoring system?
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:51:05 AM »

It is a very interesting and motivating feature for high-level play. But it really depends on the sort of game you're making. Any more details^?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »

Again it's one of those things that depends on the player. If your challenge is just to make it to the end then you probably don't care about the score at all. (I suppose what mindset you push the player to have also matters here)
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »

Again it's one of those things that depends on the player. If your challenge is just to make it to the end then you probably don't care about the score at all. (I suppose what mindset you push the player to have also matters here)

I agree.  For a lot of players, a scoring system is what motivates them.  I think now that the glory days of arcades are gone, that a shoot 'em up could be successful without any scoring, but it would need something else to motivate replaying the game - ie. unlockables, branching paths, secrets, etc.

Zencha
Level 0

I make noise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 07:15:45 PM »

Does Starfox 64 have a "score" system? I forget, but if it did it's forgettable. I used to replay that games specifically to get the branching paths and because the gameplay was inherently fun. The fly-through-arches secret in the first level was so cool to me when I was younger.

So, yea, I agree with the people above.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic