Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:58:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you like watching people program on stream?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Do you like watching people program on stream?  (Read 1806 times)
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2016, 12:26:42 AM »

There seem to be quite a few people doing gamedev on twitch, but most of it them seem to be more about the art and updates and stuff. I'm asking cause I think I'm gonna start streaming sometimes, but I don't know if people like watching code. Anyone have experience with this.

eh
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 03:57:08 AM »

i've never done that but i can't imagine how you could possibly make it entertaining unless it's heavily explained for the uninitiated
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:30:14 AM »

i've never done that but i can't imagine how you could possibly make it entertaining unless it's heavily explained for the uninitiated

I've learned a few tricks by asking streamers how they do some stuff, so it can be useful.
Other people are interested in following the progress of a game, or like the personality of the streamer. I do it myself and have a few regulars that are interested in the project and my approach, even though I'm not an expert.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 06:58:42 AM »

Handmade Hero does it and it works.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 07:00:06 AM »

I would lose interest very quickly
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »

Maybe it would work better as a series on Youtube or something? What's certain is that you need an enormous font and a proficiency in explaining things to other people for it to work.

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:30 AM »

Yeah I was thinking maybe do it on youtube instead, or maybe stream it then upload to youtube. And yeah font, the worst part is I'm on Australian internet so I can't stream at high fidelity, and I don't wanna end up with a huge internet bill.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:59:22 PM by Oats » Logged

eh
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 06:24:31 PM »

I do it a little bit, but it's less for the public and more for my irl friends to keep up with what I'm doing.

Haven't ever watched it myself, but considering Vlambeer streamed their entire development process of Nuclear Throne there is a market for it.

Maybe if they do that again, I'd pop in to see what its about.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 11:49:07 PM »

I would either have no viewership, or get quickly distracted by my viewership and make no progress.

I doubt I would watch a programming stream unless it was something very novel and entertaining being worked on, and even then probably just for a few minutes.
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 08:04:23 PM »

No, I don't like watching people do anything on stream.

I definitely wouldn't stream my own coding. I mean, just seems like a complication, and more of a reason to show off than to actually write code for applicable purpose. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's what one want's to do, it just sounds more of a hindrance on productivity than anything.
JohnsyJohnsy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 11:06:48 AM »

I quite enjoy it, I look at Handmade Hero and nothings/STB, it feels like watching at very smart colleagues doing their thing.
Since I work remotely from home I miss that nowadays and this fills that niche.

I don't care much about actual content, just the getting algorithms to work and debugging sessions please me.
Maybe I should get out more.
AaronTooNerdy
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »

I do like watching people program and develop on stream, as it generally motivates me to also work on my things, and not procrastinate.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »

The only time that I like watching people program is when they're teaching me something. Just watching someone code is really difficult (especially when you have to lower the quality settings) and a lot of programmers are just plain boring when they work (myself included).
ProjectX593
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »

I don't really like watching people work, but I find that streaming my own work keeps me MUCH more focused on what I'm doing than if I'm just working normally. I don't really have much of a following at all, but even the fact that people might pop in at any time keeps me from spacing out or checking facebook!
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »

There seem to be quite a few people doing gamedev on twitch, but most of it them seem to be more about the art and updates and stuff. I'm asking cause I think I'm gonna start streaming sometimes, but I don't know if people like watching code. Anyone have experience with this.

No, programming on my own is more interesting. And if I watch a gamedev code their game.. it might spoil the game.

Alectora
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 09:22:51 PM »

If it's a live tutorial or a quick game jam session, I'd possibly watch it.
high-priest.clppr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »

I don't see it being worth your time unless it was a tutorial series where your game was the example tbrr
thundercroak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »

I think that video format is not so good for programming. It's much more easier to read article, than watch a video.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »

Searchable, too, which is amazingly valuable.
FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »

Just do it and find out if it's worthwhile or not. Some people might be interested who knowws??
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic