Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:06:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2325602 times)
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #13380 on: December 01, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »

here come the Pompi's "I think that's their thought" moment.

With an App store you can gain hundreds of thousands of fans over night.
That is almost impossible without an App store unless you get help from some "taste makers".
How? You know people can pump up endless clone in the apps store and completely cover up your game in the new release column? Your game will be buried under those clone over night if you're not careful, or doesn't get into the usual featured section on launch. Press is one of the powerful way to get exposure. God bless your game if you think you could just put your game into the apps store and see if it sales.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13381 on: December 01, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »

Press is mostly useless.
The app stores have a built in mechanism to make new apps appear higher.
"Taste makers" are just another kind of gate keepers. I prefer to rely on the algorithm of an App store than on a few people that overwatch the indie scene.

Also, the things you mentioned are more true to Google Play, which is more messy. It's not true to the Apple store or Amazon store.

Master of all trades.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13382 on: December 02, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »

Press helps. I think every big game is a mix of a lot of factors, and that includes press.

App store doesn't hurt indies at all. You should be building for the niches that you want to play. Trying to beat the big boys will fail.

Even if you are making something mainstream.. say, an Angry Birds clone... the app store ensures that putting "angry birds style game" in your keywords will get you a trickle from the people who are hardcore Angry Bird-like players. Bottom feeding, but it works far better than selling something over the internet. You'd be lucky to be placed on the first 5 pages of google in many cases, but app stores let you put at least on the first 100 with a half decent game.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13383 on: December 02, 2012, 11:18:26 PM »

Is it just me or did they do something weird with the ambient occlusion in Far Cry 3, everything looks like it has this weird black glow around it when you are kind of near stuff and it drives me crazy.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13384 on: December 03, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »

Just wondering: How hard is it to port a java game from pc to android? I heard android apps ran on java of some sort...

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13385 on: December 03, 2012, 07:52:24 AM »

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1575892/porting-java-apps-to-android-platform

They're actually very different in usage. I'm not even sure how you'd try to port one. You've got different hardware, different methods of using it.

PC doesn't really have cycles. Android has plenty of different cycles, like creating an app, starting it, restarting it, exiting, reentering. Their approach to memory management is different to a computer. And there are things like multiple entry points - you don't start a game from right in the middle, but with Android, you're regularly deleting things from memory and reopening it. The threading system is a little different; block/slow the UI and the thing crashes, so multithreading is practically a requirement. And then there's PC and smartphone using very different inputs.

The language used is Java, but it's not even really the same thing.

You can probably still copy large chunks of code. Almost everything on the back end should be fine.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #13386 on: December 03, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »

There is an android version of slick, but nothing too advanced so far (I just saw it on the slick forums somewhere, it might be worth looking into).

I'm sorry, I would try to find a link for you, but I have an insane amount of homework to do, I shouldn't even be on this forum right now Sad

Think happy thoughts.
nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13387 on: December 03, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »

I've bought an old, used PSP today.

I have replaced the analog stick AND didn't break the psp.

Great success.

pata pata pata pon.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13388 on: December 03, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »

Can't seem to find that CAPTCHA thing where it used games instead of text.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #13389 on: December 03, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »

Pac man say hi in space
http://referentiel.nouvelobs.com/file/4824747.jpg

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13390 on: December 03, 2012, 07:15:07 PM »

So turns out coffee is not good for keeping you awake, but does a good job of waking you up. I.e. it's bad for late night (or late mornings?) when you're trying not to sleep but your body is screaming for rest. The two conflict and bad things happen.

It's good for when you and your body are trying to get up, after a bad night's rest. You have stuff that induces sleep in your body early morning, and caffeine represses it.

Citation:
http://blogs.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/2009/02/good-news-for-coffee-drinkers.html
http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/caffeine-and-sleep
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #13391 on: December 03, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »

Is it just me or did they do something weird with the ambient occlusion in Far Cry 3, everything looks like it has this weird black glow around it when you are kind of near stuff and it drives me crazy.
Not just you... it looks seriously awful

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13392 on: December 03, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »

holy shit guys, it's radnom

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13393 on: December 03, 2012, 10:35:06 PM »

radnom and tanner oh god

Ashkin
« Reply #13394 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:20 PM »

Part-ay.
ClayB
« Reply #13395 on: December 03, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »

Can I get a screen that illustrates this? is like the deus ex glowy outline of stuff?
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13396 on: December 04, 2012, 02:32:37 PM »

I wonder if Miyamoto plays videogames.

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13397 on: December 04, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »

Can I get a screen that illustrates this? is like the deus ex glowy outline of stuff?
Start watching at about 10:30:

Aaron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13398 on: December 04, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »

Start watching at about 10:30:

Weird. Is it just in cutscenes or gameplay too?
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13399 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »

Gameplay too, I don't own the game but I've seen in a couple videos people walking up to boxes and you can see the glow
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic