Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:44:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2326882 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #15460 on: May 21, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »

windows 8?
windows phone?
xbox one?
Internet explorer?
silverlight?

what's left?

Ashkin
« Reply #15461 on: May 21, 2013, 09:53:07 PM »

This just in: the Xbox One unites Feminist and MRM gamers in universal hatred of the Xbox One

Psh, Xbox One. 359 degrees short.

Heeyooooooo.

heyyooo?

please?
or... One degree too far?
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15462 on: May 22, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »

Someone should tell Microsoft to switch to radians.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #15463 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »

XBOX 2π

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #15464 on: May 22, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »

xbox 57

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Ashkin
« Reply #15465 on: May 22, 2013, 10:40:57 PM »

XBOX 2π
Xbox τ
Blambo
« Reply #15466 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32:24 AM »

I thought Microsoft was happy rolling in Xbucks.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15467 on: May 23, 2013, 08:09:44 AM »

I guess it's time to get a job.

ClayB
« Reply #15468 on: May 23, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »

a dog and his xbone
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15469 on: May 23, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »

a call of doggy and his xbone
FIXED

Blambo
« Reply #15470 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »

I guess it's time to get a job.

A what?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15471 on: May 23, 2013, 10:59:29 AM »

A jaaaeeeerb

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15472 on: May 24, 2013, 06:44:20 AM »

Is Flash pretty much dead for game-making now? See only a few in Feedback and none anymore in Tutorials or Technical.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15473 on: May 24, 2013, 07:00:26 AM »

flash is good technically, but the fgl bubble sort of busted/is bursting up and it's a lot more interesting to go for mobile than to try to compete in the flash market.
At this point, there is no interest develloping in flash unless you want to make a free web game that is

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15474 on: May 24, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »

flash is good technically, but the fgl bubble sort of busted/is bursting up and it's a lot more interesting to go for mobile than to try to compete in the flash market.
At this point, there is no interest develloping in flash unless you want to make a free web game that is

That and not to mention FlashPunk being dead. And I thought most Flash development was basically for free web games.
barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15475 on: May 24, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »

I do stuff in flash, but I don't know if I'd do anything serious in it since adobe keeps being sort of bleh about supporting it and working on it

flashpunk actually is being revived sort of: http://useflashpunk.net/

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15476 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »

If you're doing free web games, it's fine. For downloadable games, you have to deal with either AIR or custom Flash projectors, both of which have a lot of drawbacks and idiosyncrasies. Adobe has been focusing on getting AIR to mobile platforms lately, but I've found that its performance on mobile kind of stinks. Meanwhile, AIR for PC is missing some important features, or in the case of Linux, has been abandoned entirely. It doesn't surprise me that it's starting to die off.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15477 on: May 24, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »

Freaked me out.

Giantbomb.net

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15478 on: May 24, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »

I'm wasting too much time on internet these day ... a number of news are tickling my trend watching side, we are on the verge of many disrupting element on almost all aspect of society, especially on the field that interest me of game design, directly or indirectly.

On video games I have learn of that on neogaf:

Earlier today I attended a talk by Phil Elliot from Sqaure Enix at the NordicGame Conference. He talked about the Square Enix Collective and the publishing business in general.

The Sqaure Enix Collective isn't really a defined thing at the moment as far as I understood it, but essentially it's about finding new ways of publishing games and giving more options to developers and gamers to see new ideas championed and released.

Phil gave three examples of how this could look. (I'm trying to remember them as best as I could, but it's been a few hours and I didn't get much sleep last night…)

First, similar to Steam Greenlight players could be given the option to indicate whether or not they would buy a game if it were made. Or they could also be allowed to vote on things like price point or choose whether the game should be episodic, free to play, or be traditional full-priced title.

Second, existing IPs could be opened up to independent developers.
That is to say developers could pitch ideas for games set in the world of existing lower profile IPs (e.g. not Final Fantasy) or games that might not necessarily sell that well these days, like Gex or Kane & Lynch.
That way developers could bring back old characters and/or expand upon worlds that a small group of players know and love, but that might not necessarily warrant a triple A treatment. Developers might even be able to take characters from say a traditional first-person shooter and put them in a sidescrolling platformer like, say, Flashback.

Finally, players could invest in games. Much like you can today with Kickstarter there would be different levels. At the base level you would just get the game, but where it deviates from Kickstarter is that instead of giving you the soundtrack, a mug, and a T-Shirt, for investing more money you would essentially get shares. The more you pay upfront, the more shares you get, and the more money you will earn from the shares after the launch of the game. (This would most likely be a legal nightmare as highlighted by Project Cars.)

Anyway, I thought these were some interesting ideas and I was wondering what you guys would think about publishers giving developers more options and allowing players to give feedback on game ideas as well as the games' price and business model.

Would you be willing to invest some of your money, if you knew that you might get back a small share of the profit? Do you think this would make it possible for developers to make more medium-sized titles again? Would developers be able to bring new ideas to the market if there were different publishing deals? If you could make any changes to existing publishing models, what would you change?

I particularly like the second idea of allowing third party developers to take on existing franchises and approaching them in a new way. Of course, for this to work publishers/IP owners must be willing to give developers the freedom to do anything they like with those IPs, but I think we could see some really interesting new games.
Not to mention that new developers and students straight out of university could take an existing IP and modify it. It's often easier to take existing idea and adapt since you start out with a basic skeleton and don't have to start from scratch.

For those who only read the last paragraph: The old publishing business needs to adapt to new circumstances. What would you change? What could make it easier for developers to bring new ideas to the market?

Fan gaming will get a new signification!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:52:33 PM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15479 on: May 24, 2013, 03:00:55 PM »

That's certianly a big change from Square Enix's previous stance on fangames, which is to stomp them into the ground with CnDs.
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic