Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:51:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327596 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20340 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:47 AM »

ya gorgin on fresh muscles and intestines is a lot more appealing
Do our teeth and those of our ancestors look like they are adapted to hunt and rip flesh apart? That's one of indications for where we came from. (I know you were sarcastic btw)

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20341 on: March 30, 2015, 03:15:20 AM »

opportunist omnivores like us just eat what they find and can digest but obv we'll go for higher quality food (proteins and compact calories) when available.
Compact calories is not high quality food. It's heavy imbalance or toxic.
You are confusing the benefits of "natural selection" with "cultural regression". The latter is what happens and it is not how you evolve for the better.

I am aware that something shaped by natural conditions (evolution) is not necessarily perfect or optimal. Something can also survive with flaws. But consider how much time evolution takes, how many iterations it took until a working trend has been found. And now compare it to cultural trends. How likely is it that a cultural trend, that opposes the natural trend, is for the better?  That isn't to say there isn't room for optimization for our food plan. But a radical change like proposing to consume a lot of meat and milk is unlikely for the better. You should almost certainly not deviate from your nature too much. That's why eating a lot of fruits and vegetables is good. On top of that you can try to optimize your food plan with meat, milk, eggs, or what ever you see fit, if you really want to.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20342 on: March 30, 2015, 05:37:55 AM »

this is what i was talking about btw http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20343 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:44 AM »

Note that the best therapy is not to get sick in the first place.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20344 on: March 30, 2015, 10:53:07 AM »

So I was reading an article on design complexity and it made think about the NX console speculation I did ... and I had an eureka moment!

What of the stupid things with the gamepad is how flow breaking it is to lift your hand to access the touch screen. Then I remind the image of screen in the nintendo partnership with a screen vendor that allow hole into screen,I had speculated it would allow better integration with pad and touch, but now it kind of really clicked! I mean no need to lift you had to select inventory if it's only a ring around the pad! the flow remain and the bandwidth of input increase! It make so much sense! After all the screen shown as a demonstration of the partnership was a donut shape screen! That alo solve how to integrate touch pad into a wiimote nunchuk set up! Something I had struggled with! DO IT NINTY

If big N don't do it, it open new interfaces option for my games! I have start thinking about making custom hardware as the maker movement make it easy now to do it!

I continue to believe the steampad would've be better if their touchpad thingy where screens (even cheap BW) ... we need a feedback of affordances

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20345 on: March 30, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »

Initially valve had 4 shoulder buttons you could press simultaneously while your thumbs keep resting on simulated thumbsticks.
Now they streamlined it into a xbox360 controller. As much as I want more sophisticated input devices for the couch, it is more realistic to design a game around the accustomed standard input. So the challenge remains to create a better game, not a better controller. I would also be very skeptical about Nintendo, their current mind set at least has been all about simplified or intuitive input. Metroid Other M etc. says it all. Their snes controller still remains the most sophisticated input potential in relation to build complexity. After that they went downhill with accumulated gimmick potential and inefficient designs.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20346 on: March 30, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »

Well the flip of the snes is still about simplicity of access, the analog is actually more complex but also more intuitive + the rumble pack add additional feedback, the game cube tried to have hierarchy of buttons it has no gimmick, The wiimote is not gimmicky at all and actually increase complexity but the dev where overwheilm by it and pointing is a step up from analog as a selection input + if you played the wii fit unlockable mini games their works on balance control was downright genius! But balance is even more complex as you need to be aware of your entire body!

I'm less impressed by their record on touch screen though, however this is the new standard.

What they failed to do was not to capitalize on teh added complexity, it was to capitalized on them on their core franchise and having no relevant core franchise based on these controls.

Metroid other M is an outlier when you have metroid trilogy.

You are wrong on their account Tongue

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20347 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:01 AM »

the analog is actually more complex but also more intuitive
That may be true, but their controller design, also the one of the game cube, is inefficient. Note how Metroid Prime is played like a point and click adventure. They totally designed the game around the controllers comfort zone.
Now note how a regular xbox360 shooter allows you significantly more control at the same time, only by designing it around the comfort zone of the xbox360 controller.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20348 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:37 AM »

if metroid prime didn't use the first person perspective no one would call it a shooter, because it's really not. it's a metroidvania (duh!) in 3d. the lock on and etc exists to take the focus away from the twitchy shooting part of the game.

the n64 controller gets a free pass because it's one of the first analog controllers designed specifically for 3d games (that isn't a flight sim joystick) and they were still figuring things out. it's maybe "inefficient" but its also still very usable and works much better for most n64 games than a playstation/xbox type controller on an emulator.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20349 on: March 31, 2015, 03:04:40 AM »

if metroid prime didn't use the first person perspective no one would call it a shooter, because it's really not.
Doesn't really matter what you would call it. What matters is the amount of control you have at the same time when you design it around its comfort zone.

the n64 controller gets a free pass because it's one of the first analog controllers designed specifically for 3d games (that isn't a flight sim joystick) and they were still figuring things out. it's maybe "inefficient" but its also still very usable and works much better for most n64 games than a playstation/xbox type controller on an emulator.
How is that possible, assuming you have a decent emulator?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20350 on: March 31, 2015, 03:41:19 AM »

i think there are usb converters for it, but ive never tried it. i play n64 games on my old n64.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20351 on: March 31, 2015, 03:50:55 AM »

I've decided I eat too much food in general, all my exercise only just keeps up with intake and doesn't reduce any existing bodyfat. So I've tried to change my diet to my regular lunch but breakfast and dinner replaced with a handful of almonds or rice crackers or whatever.

So far it's making me feel really tired all the time, am I dying google?

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20352 on: March 31, 2015, 03:57:37 AM »

Don't reduce the number of meals but instead reduce the amount of food you eat, try to not eat until you're full but stop when you are no longer hungry. 5-6 small meals a day seem to be perfect for me.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20353 on: March 31, 2015, 04:19:00 AM »

I've decided I eat too much food in general
I doubt that. You don't eat too much food, you eat too much of unbalanced food. Reducing the amount of food or being exposed to hunger is the wrong way to go. Your body weakens because of imbalance it has to endure. Make for example a rich fruit salad (doesn't have to contain more than 3 different fruits, keep it simple) and put some oat on top of it. Also have you tried vegan salads with kidney beans? Find ways to eat more rich fruits and vegetables with mixed in starches, it's not so hard. You will drop excess weight rapidly that way without feeling hungry, but instead balanced all the time.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20354 on: March 31, 2015, 04:47:12 AM »

i think there are usb converters for it, but ive never tried it. i play n64 games on my old n64.
Seems we are not on the same line again. That wasn't my question; How is the n64 controller better for any game than a ps3 controller, for example?

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20355 on: March 31, 2015, 04:49:38 AM »

the six face buttons are used in plenty of games. mischief makers is a good example

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20356 on: March 31, 2015, 04:56:19 AM »

If it's just about the amount of different buttons you can press consecutively, ps3 controller has even more buttons in total.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20357 on: March 31, 2015, 04:59:03 AM »

yeah but its goddamn unco¡mfortable given the way it plays, since you need to remap a lot to make it work. play mischief makers

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20358 on: March 31, 2015, 07:00:06 AM »

The z button of n64 is damn comfy and make more sense that those goddam trigger flip from the competition, it also have nice octagonal bump to help you feel the straight line unlike the horrible floaty psx controller.

Your argument on metroid prime is stupid, all game design their control around comfort, + the game was design on gamecube and wasn't comfy until the damn good wii version. BUT BTW it's an adventure game not a shooter, they called FPA it was never about shooting at any rate, shooting is just an interaction like any other, that's why you shoot doors to open them in all versions, it's literally a point and click disguise as shooter.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20359 on: March 31, 2015, 07:13:45 AM »

The game cube controller serves more as a container of buttons than a sophisticated input device. The developers of Metroid Prime understood that pretty well and utilized it as such as much as possible. That's why the right analog stick is used like 4 traditional buttons to switch visor mods, and not for aiming.

Pages: 1 ... 1016 1017 [1018] 1019 1020 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic