Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:03:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327922 times)
jiitype
« Reply #20840 on: May 03, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »

One day I might leave TIGForums.

But will TIGForums leave me? Noir
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20841 on: May 03, 2015, 11:11:02 AM »

This rhetorics is too easy to land when over genre strive with imply people wanting more of teh same.

uhhh... could you rephrase that

Ouch ... this make sense, when I wrote it Huh?
but with should be which

Basically just because a genre died, and there is people longing for him, doesn't imply nostalgia, it imply the offer died, offer that still exist for other genre.

My speculation is that genre dies when they hit driven market move to another hit driven genre, genre become hit driven with the presence of "king" game that sustain the impression of demand. If there is enough "king" fighting over the market this effect perpetuate. But if the king dries the market around him the genre become associated to the king and the market collapse (see nintendo games). Or else the market fragment too much to sustain and lead to a arm race that eventually kill the ROI (farmville like). Or the market degenerate without king establishing themselves and a lack of innovation (adventure games until recently, which broke off into many more optimize subgenre).

Talking about nostalgia about a genre is for me nonsense, nostalgia applies to title, a genre may fail to evolve or not, attempt at reviving a genre won't work without going back to the core appeal (which mean the ability to do the right diagnostic) or modernizing the core by successfully addressing the failing or shaking the format.

2d platformer still exist and are popular for a reason, they just don't pull amazing number because they are too varied (fragmentation) and easy to produce, there is also teh presence of a "drying king" by nintendo title who pull amazing number across many series and cover a huge spectrum already.

3D platformer died because kings rapidly got to peak quality (still unmatch to this days) and the high (technical) cost associated with getting it right (camera and control), high level of skill required to pull it off (level design), and a lack of perspective (theming and character appeal had flat lined) which limit ROI.

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #20842 on: May 03, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »

look at what you've done, grimdark sepia tone shooters.
Give it 20 years and grimdark sepia tone shooters will be the holy grail of nostalgia.

Epileptic

I only hope what they get replaced by in the meantime isn't somehow worse.

They've already been replaced IMO, I haven't bought a call of duty game in like 6 years, I don't know anyone who's still into them

has a single kind of game really taken hold though? i feel like it is just a bunch of smaller, more interesting things taking its place.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20843 on: May 03, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »

i backed the yooka-laylee kickstarter so i can get the alpha and endlessly complain how it just DOESN'T HAVE THE CHARM
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20844 on: May 03, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »

what
                  a
                  dick

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20845 on: May 03, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »

spite funding is the best Cool

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20846 on: May 03, 2015, 11:53:39 AM »

what
                  a
                  dick

Good that's how "sports" appear to me except I don't make an ass about it  Giggle

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20847 on: May 03, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »

Both e-sports and regular sports are profiting on human hatred.
Their business it to build conflict among people who dont know each other and then fuel it.
Not to mention how excessive it looks with all the world problems. Just look at all the recent Fifa hosters, in Ukraine we had everything practically crumbling while multibilion stadiums were built. E-sport is also one of those first-world excesses that brought no good but keeps taking away peoples time. Wait until  it gets real like soccer and young talents get hooked on dope and thrown away when they became 10 year old.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20848 on: May 03, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »

god can everyone stop calling computer games sports, you sound like assholes

there's nothing remotely athletic about clicking a keyboard

what's worse is it's only used when someone's making money off of playing, i.e. pro gaming, which is already a word

Both e-sports and regular sports are profiting on human hatred.
Their business it to build conflict among people who dont know each other and then fuel it.
Not to mention how excessive it looks with all the world problems. Just look at all the recent Fifa hosters, in Ukraine we had everything practically crumbling while multibilion stadiums were built. E-sport is also one of those first-world excesses that brought no good but keeps taking away peoples time. Wait until  it gets real like soccer and young talents get hooked on dope and thrown away when they became 10 year old.
Actually both are sublimated tribal warfare. It's kind of necessary that there's a (mostly) harmless outlet for that shit in this day and age so be grateful

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20849 on: May 03, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »

athletics isn't necessarily part of the modern definition

it's more like "competitive play" and includes stuff beyond both football and video games, such as chess

nonetheless I think multimillion dollar LoL championships being held with loads of price money going to individuals instead of being used to make the world a better place is a hugely depressing thing

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20850 on: May 03, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »

chess is literally only ever called a sport for tax purposes

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20851 on: May 03, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »

sport
[spawrt, spohrt]
noun
[...]
5. mockery; ridicule; derision:
They made sport of him.

6. an object of derision; laughingstock.

e-sports

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20852 on: May 03, 2015, 12:51:16 PM »

that non-IPA makes me cry

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20853 on: May 03, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »

I also don't see the appeal of having a lifestyle where you play a computer game ad infinitum to gain skill against other players, even if monetary prizes are envolved, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

I do find the spending on tournaments way over the top, though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:05:41 PM by Manuel Magalhães » Logged

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20854 on: May 03, 2015, 01:01:17 PM »

cyber athletes

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20855 on: May 03, 2015, 01:05:54 PM »

They would probably have been obese anyway.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20856 on: May 03, 2015, 01:09:14 PM »

One could argue that those tournaments were funded by players and some greedy products who wont spend money on anything good anyway, but its still gives the image of games being hedonistic and wasteful. Which they are.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20857 on: May 03, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »

the guy is actually working, not playing, paying tax makes you obese Wizard
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:17:57 PM by Gimym JIMBERT » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20858 on: May 03, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »

Apparently there is a war about the playtonic game to convince grant Kirkhope to go orchestral, it's reaching some level of fan entitlement stupidity and t...

Hand Shake Left

Hand Shake Right Hand Point Left  Hand Point Left  Well, hello there! Hand Metal Right  Hand Metal Right

... wait ... Huh?

OKAY Can't say i'm against ... Who, Me?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20859 on: May 03, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »

orchestral music for these games is wack imo. there are soooo many games with boring orchestral soundtracks and so few with music that sounds band-like. :/

this game is gonna have dynamic music tho right? i mean you could theoretically do what the old games did with midi with live recordings (tho its obv more expensive). just have the musicians record multiple arrangements of the same tune and crossfade between them as needed.

edit: oops kirkhope confirmed this on his twitter. he seems like a cool person btw.
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic