Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412053 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 22, 2024, 06:24:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2343003 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21160 on: May 17, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »

You talk as if making a game guarantee you paying bills. You don't just magically make game and rack money in anyway in any format. That works with everything so this statement is useless.

With other venue you face less competitions, have better visibility and can actually make game more tailored to a market by being free from standard.

The main point of why I pursue this venue, is because it's more suitable to my market, I have under served people and I can avoid competition by going full hundred on specific concept without the gate keeper or chasing compatibility with standard. Which is a huge benefit in a crowd market.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21161 on: May 17, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »

You think that software tied to hardware is something unique that gives you advantage. Yet who would buy a console for just one game in times where even VR has problems to sell? What sort of killer app can that be?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21162 on: May 17, 2015, 08:53:01 AM »

You should stop seeing the hardware and software as separated product, also think more along the line of sophisticated toys.

However I didn't say that it is "something unique that gave me advantage", more like it make sense in some situation as the price have fallen enough.

For example where I am I must target locally people who might not be tech savy or have fragmented underpowered hardware, who don't like to install stuff or search things too long. You underestimate the overhead of games today, you have to have a computer or console, dl some patch, install the game, seek for driver, etc ...

Here I'm back to the conveniance of having something, pluging it and playing it right away. If you have it you play it, no hassle, you bought it you play it, no install, no dependence, not looking for it in a crowd app store, impulse buying.

And you design ARE NOT not down by standard of any sort, especially input, you can add (or remove) as many buttons as necessary instead of wishing big guys do it for you, you can even print your Dpad system if you go that far.

Not that the format work for every games as I have mentioned. It's another format choice that fit your need

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21163 on: May 17, 2015, 09:13:43 AM »

Here I'm back to the conveniance of having something, pluging it and playing it right away. If you have it you play it, no hassle, you bought it you play it, no install, no dependence, not looking for it in a crowd app store, impulse buying.
There is dependence on specific hardware for a specific game. I doubt changing and storing regular console games takes more effort than changing and storing your toys. I doubt players are not capable to press the A button to continue. If your audience isn't capable of booting a console game then it might not be interested in games at all, which contradicts your assumption that there is an audience.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21164 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:43 AM »

You make a lot of false assumption and reduction here. I don't see what's the A button have to do with that. I remove the dependence on standard if you don't get it, it's like playing the cartridge directly without the console, there is still hardware but it's cheap enough to be sold and tailored with the game. The reason you had hardware is that it was so expensive to have something good enough you had to separate hardware and software to keep cost low. There is plenty people who like game but don't want to install it, that's why steam and app store is so popular aside from other service they offer. People prefer stuff that just works, here you just plug it on TV.

Consider when buying a game and console how many middlemen there is that takes a cut, where I live a game cost 80€ and you must have already invested on a console. I can sell a decent "hardware-game" at the same price directly with less middlemen taking the cut. If I sell the game digitally, I might expect 20€ max for the production value, the hardware cost 35€ so the whole thing is 55€ overall, I sold it at the same rate of 80€ it remain 35€ on top of the value of the game. It's cheaper than a new dvd 60€ game sold in US with no overheaad at the bare ROI price.

And I had value by having cheap "casing" by branding it as toys (hence useful without the game part).

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21165 on: May 17, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »

When people make weird linguistic claims in places, where are they getting the "info" from?

Saw someone today claiming that Minecraft's "Nether" were a direct translation from the Swedish word for 'hell', and… it's not. The cognate of the English word 'nether' in Swedish is even less specific than in English; it simply means 'down' and can't even be used as a noun. The actual Swedish word for hell is half cognate with the English word and the other part is related to neither of these other words.

I really can't understand where the claim came from.

And even so, isn't 'netherworld' a pretty established thing in English that doesn't need Swedish brought in either way..?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:31:30 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21166 on: May 17, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »

Consider when buying a game and console how many middlemen there is that takes a cut, where I live a game cost 80€ and you must have already invested on a console. I can sell a decent "hardware-game" at the same price directly with less middlemen taking the cut. If I sell the game digitally, I might expect 20€ max for the production value, the hardware cost 35€ so the whole thing is 55€ overall, I sold it at the same rate of 80€ it remain 35€ on top of the value of the game. It's cheaper than a new dvd 60€ game sold in US with no overheaad at the bare ROI price.
If they invest 80E on a game, then it has to be a known established title, certainly not an unknown indie game or do your people don't care what they are buying?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21167 on: May 17, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »

@J-snake
You know all people who play aren't alike? there is parent, gamer (culture), casual, hardcore casual, hardcore gamer, single genre gamer, kids, etc ... product have appeal of there own too. You are thinking too much inside the box, break free from gaming culture, there is a whole 'nother world outside the internet.  Shrug

@princessa
I use that wheneTHer  Durr...?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21168 on: May 17, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »

So do you like Jungle World or Jungle Challenge better? I have to say Jungle Challenge.

They're both good, but I'm still wondering how something sounding exactly like BK is going to fit in with David's music. The feel so different from each other.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21169 on: May 17, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »

@J-snake
You know all people who play aren't alike? there is parent, gamer (culture), casual, hardcore casual, hardcore gamer, single genre gamer, kids, etc ... product have appeal of there own too. You are thinking too much inside the box, break free from gaming culture, there is a whole 'nother world outside the internet.  Shrug
You are hanging out on the internet more than I am. You should visit some more of your neighbors to see what I am talking about.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21170 on: May 17, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »

How would you know? especially with mobile internet? Wink

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21171 on: May 17, 2015, 10:52:49 AM »

Jungle Challenge is definitely the better of the two.

Banjo Kazooie had some good themes (Rusty Bucket Bay and Hailfire Peak were most memorable to me) but Wise's recent work on Tropical Freeze was just a steady stream of high quality work.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21172 on: May 17, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »

If you pick that from my screenshot, it's a special version (here)

And it's fantastic Epileptic

Tis is good too

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21173 on: May 17, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »

Somebody put together the icy and hot themes for Hailfire mountain and they sound great together.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21174 on: May 17, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »

How would you know? especially with mobile internet? Wink
You have answered your own question. Wink

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21175 on: May 17, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »

So you would know I'm actually at my neighbor house and that's because of that I see the premise of what I had proposed (rue des courtilles more precisely, I'm living at La Meynard Durr...? ).

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21176 on: May 17, 2015, 11:13:17 AM »

Anyway, listen to my answer.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21177 on: May 17, 2015, 11:16:29 AM »

listen to my advice too Smiley

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21178 on: May 17, 2015, 11:20:10 AM »

otoh what gimmy is describing is basically the boardgame industry and there have been a few self published kickstarter boardgames that ended up being successful (agents of smersh is one). still just a handful because its risky. kickstarter gams tend to still use publishers.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21179 on: May 17, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »

Jungle Challenge is definitely the better of the two.

Banjo Kazooie had some good themes (Rusty Bucket Bay and Hailfire Peak were most memorable to me) but Wise's recent work on Tropical Freeze was just a steady stream of high quality work.
I'll try to remember to put on TF's soundtrack as work music tomorrow. I've never heard it but I have indeed noticed that everyone is comparing Jungle Challenge to it.

I think pretty much all music in BK is great and I listen to the soundtracks of both N64 games very often in their entirety. It's just that I think Challenge is the better of these particular too. But Grant's tune is great as well. As is the lo-fi version made to sound more like the original N64 music discussed here recently.

Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic