Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:38:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327372 times)
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25420 on: July 25, 2016, 08:56:55 AM »

I honestly don't understand why people play games

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25421 on: July 25, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »

Sonic Fusion seems decently fluid, but seemingly lacks any momentum based gameplay? Which you've convinced me is what made classic sonic actually great. Maybe it plays better without the unlocked powers, but the video makes it look almost as choppy as Sonic Advance.

Not that I'm invested in sonic the character. Games like Dustforce and Nikujin capture some of the same greatness I found in S2 and S3&K.

But... I'm pretty hyped about more classic sonic! Because dang, I've played through the old games too darn many times.

In reality I pick those two to show fangame that did interesting thing bridging tradition, I mean rather than lavishly copy the classic, which put perspective into the want of "gameplay whining sonic community" lol. Sonic fusion allow to see the contrast with official attempt.

before answering more specifically about momentum: How do you picture momentum gameplay? I'm interested how you understand that, I might learn something Smiley

I honestly don't understand the appeal of Sonic games.
It's not pedestrian Tongue

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #25422 on: July 25, 2016, 04:46:15 PM »

It's not pedestrian Tongue

What?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25423 on: July 25, 2016, 04:50:03 PM »

- platformer, you walk
- sonic, you parkour

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #25424 on: July 25, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »

Fair enough. I actually own Sonic 1 on 3DS btw, so that wasn't a statement in the dark, I've actually tried the game and I didn't really understand why people like it so much. If the appeal is the feeling of fast traversal rather than interesting puzzles or tricky platforming then ok, I didn't judge it on the right merits.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25425 on: July 25, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »

Well there is a great deal of exploration base on that fast travel, though it's more blatant with the latter sonic. Sonic 3 really seal the deal, you should try.

BUT IMHO, it's better experiance on the original console or good emulator. The timing is often fucked up in port, I mean the game is design so that when you run you aren't suppose to hit an enemy or projectile without having time to react, and it's time to have a close call running past them without slowing. In port I bump in all sort of obstacle and trap I never did in the original. Many port are outright fucked up like the GBA port. The gameplay is really a fragile balance, no wonder once the creator left we met with lackluster level. That's why the community is so focus on level design.

Sonic 1 is still trying to find an identity, the first level is indicative of the best to come, but then they still has level like marble zone that play like pedestrian slow platformer of the time (still love the level). Sonic 1 alternate run level with normal level too, I think the thing is that it was new. Sonic 2 is not burden with identity search, sonic 3 (and sonic and knuckles and sonic 3 & k, they are difference) really push the stule to the max.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25426 on: July 25, 2016, 05:22:53 PM »

I mean just look at it and tell me it's a level made only for running, don't forget sonic is actually a game where you constantly switch plane seamlessly (there are two plane, some path are exclusive to a plane, that's why you can do loop de loop, a loop is plane switch). Also some level loop on themselves from top to bottom!

sonic 3

And there is plenty of tricky platforming don't worry, seeing good run like I posted don't show the complexity. And traversal itself is a puzzle. The parkour thing is that to get somewhere you see not on the main path (ie alt path) you have to think ahead because you need to build and maintain momentum.

Now contrast to sonic advance 2 on GBA (the first to start the boost gameplay)

Metropolis in sonic 2 classic (loop on itself, has teleporter)

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #25427 on: July 25, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »

How do you fuck up the timing in a port. Did they add some sort of delay to the controls on the 3DS or something? Or is it the physical buttons that are not adequate?

Edit: now that just looks confusing...

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25428 on: July 25, 2016, 05:30:23 PM »

the 3ds port is screwed up? it's done by M2, literally the best in the business. that's very disappointing, if true

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25429 on: July 25, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »

Well changing the size of the screen mess with the spawn and activation of elements, the clock and precision of variable can mess it too (so now you are on float and you are gaining 33% on the int division that just cut out the decimal for example, made up case base on real life experience). etc ...

That looks clear when playing, the game sure you know you are progressing even though you can't mentally map the level like in mario lol, you navigate to landmark. Not everybody can make level like this at all, it's really sophisticate and you know it when playing bad fan game and level hacks Cool And that's nothing because level gimmick really impact how you traverse space, so even looking at that map is hard to trace the path without playing the game (where it all make sense).

Also level are actually made of big 128*128 (256*256 for sonic1) tiles and you can't even spot repetition, that's crazy insane, most game is doing 8*8 tile system!

It's A+ level design.

Mario level to contrast (8 fortress)

I tried to find a complex one, but they are mostly simple strip. Now think about it, people struggle to reach teh quality of a mario game, and you wonder why sega has trouble following up to the classic?

the 3ds port is screwed up? it's done by M2, literally the best in the business. that's very disappointing, if true

I don't know for this version, I just avoid port of that game in general. Even if you are good, it's easy to mess up nuance you don't understand or don't know about (see the okami port on wii).

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25430 on: July 25, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »

the post count is approaching a Very Specific Big Number

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25431 on: July 25, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »

I've always been interested in Sonic's level design and I should really try to research it more thoroughly when I get the chance. But I've wondered with the whole exploration and momentum to the games, has there ever been a more Metroid cross Sonic type game?

Just on paper alone, it seems like they'd go very well together. You could use the movement and speed to reach new areas to access various utilities/items. And backtracking would be fun as you rush through previous areas now that you have a small grasp of what's there and the possibility of finding something new.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25432 on: July 25, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »

spoilers for ishab: ishab will yes

but other than that i dont know. never really understood why an official sonic hasn't tried that yet

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25433 on: July 25, 2016, 10:11:40 PM »

I've always been interested in Sonic's level design and I should really try to research it more thoroughly when I get the chance. But I've wondered with the whole exploration and momentum to the games, has there ever been a more Metroid cross Sonic type game?

Just on paper alone, it seems like they'd go very well together. You could use the movement and speed to reach new areas to access various utilities/items. And backtracking would be fun as you rush through previous areas now that you have a small grasp of what's there and the possibility of finding something new.

Sonic CD?
lol jk
but yeah this has been a discussion I have never seen put in practice, but I have never look for it in depth.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25434 on: July 25, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25435 on: July 25, 2016, 11:53:11 PM »

Ha ha! It's funny cause they're British and the Megadrive dominated there. On a serious note, I've always wanted to do that with friends.

I did look up any sort of discussions or games that uses Sonic/Metroid combo. Not much but there was a fangame. No idea if it's any good, but I imagine it would be tough to do for SEGA not because it would be hard to make but they've taken the Blue Blur left and right and sideways with different ideas and gimmicks throughout Sonic's 3D life.

Six characters in SA, Dark/Hero story in SA2, squads of three in Heroes, Shadow's progression, 06... beastiality?, Unleash had Werehog, Colors the aliens, Generations Classic/Modern Sonic's, Lost World... run button?, Boom.... had an infinite jumping Knuckles.

People are very tired of the constant changes which is why I'm very happy about the new games coming out. Sounds like Project 2017 will use similar game play to Generations with the addition of nearly 5 years of work by Sonic Team (which they normally only spend a year or two).

But I'm very interested in something like a Sonic-Metroid. Don't think SEGA will be taking that idea anytime soon since I hear Shattered Crystals had some elements of Metroid... but it sucked. Basically what I'm saying is no ones really done a full game like it nor do I foresee anyone currently working on one.

I've actually had ideas for one. But just ideas.

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #25436 on: July 26, 2016, 06:34:47 AM »

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.
A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV. [...]

Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers

More about the inner life of the NX:

Nintendo NX is powered by Nvidia Tegra technology

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25437 on: July 26, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »

i would like the nx to be already showcased just only so i could live without rumours everhwere

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #25438 on: July 26, 2016, 10:27:06 AM »

Rumour:

[...] Finally, we've heard from one source that NX planning has recently moved up a gear within Nintendo ahead of the console's unveiling, which is currently slated for September. [...]

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25439 on: July 26, 2016, 11:10:05 AM »

Huh, that sound like old neogaf speculations

Pages: 1 ... 1270 1271 [1272] 1273 1274 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic