Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 04:45:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347] 1348 1349 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327481 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #26920 on: May 05, 2017, 04:09:54 PM »

How dare you! zeldo is a master piece
/joke

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26921 on: May 06, 2017, 01:30:33 PM »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307690

sleeping dogs is on sale

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26922 on: May 07, 2017, 03:10:07 AM »

Dogs are on sale all the time
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #26923 on: May 07, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »

I am not normally into "binaural beats" and all that because I never really got much effect out of them. However, for whatever reason this one really fucks with my head in weird ways I can't really explain well and after I turn it off I can still hear it, or some weird aural aftereffect of it. Also, after a minute or two I see clearer for some reason, like my eyes are wide open and hyper-focused. I go to draw and the lines look like they are vibrating and the colors looked like they are stacked like layered sheets rather than blended no matter how I try to smooth them out. It's fucking weird. I tried other "beats" of various wavelengths and got nothing, but for whatever reason this one hits me like a brick.

Anyways, maybe some of you will get some weirdness out of it too. Who, Me?

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26924 on: May 07, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »

it just gives me a headache

this might just be an extreme example of that philosophy that music is at its core just an oddity of the human hearing where we get excited by things that make us uncomfortable. I don't remember who had this theory, but it might explain why some people kill their time listening to two sine waves at slightly different frequencies with some volume modulation.

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26925 on: May 08, 2017, 12:49:59 AM »

Since the effect was tripping me out I did an experiment of sorts, I played a few different video games (Battlefield 1, Street Fighter 5, etc.) while wearing the headphones and listening to the binaural beat above and I found that as I played I seemed to be hyper focused and not playing the way I normally do.

In Battlefield 1, for example, I normally play a pretty cautious game and work my way area to area. This time around I just went assault class and ran nonstop shotgunning any enemy that popped up on my screen. Not only that, I was doing trick throws with grenades and getting really insane kills with them. It didn't feel like I was playing, I didn't even really notice my hands or body or anything around me I was just in this crazy go mode and racking up some of my best games yet.

After all that and a little introspection, I think what is happening is the beats are putting me in "flow". I believe this because one key element of it all that I noticed was that my inner monologue and the whole inner mental circus that comes with Bipolar/ADHD was dead silent. Apparently the beats kind of scramble my inner monologue and it is actually difficult to willfully trigger my inner monologue while the beats are going.

So I was playing in a sort of weird meditative/trance/hyper-focused state. After a couple of an hour or two of the games I took the headphones off and for a good 5 minutes I could still hear the beats sort of, but it sounded more like some kind of weird feedback squealing, like a microphone getting too close to a speaker. Other than that, I feel real calm and relaxed and there's a weird sort of detached feeling. It's some crazy shit.

I think I will incorporate this into my daily routine. I normally start the day with a cup of coffee and some game that will jump start my brain (usually Overwatch). I think I will do my morning gaming with the beats and see how that might effect me over the course of a week.

I am really curious with this now, I don't generally buy into this shit but like I said it hit me like a brick. So now I need to play with it, see how I can use it and what else I can do with it.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26926 on: May 08, 2017, 04:41:19 AM »

This is like that thing where very autistic people will start screaming when they get too much stimuli so that they drown everything out, except it's voluntary with a cult-like psychobabble attached.

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26927 on: May 08, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »

On that note, when I hear more than one person is talking I get a headache. If two people are talking, and there is one on one each side of me (I am in the middle) I immediately get a migraine, feel nauseous, and often have to leave the area and the migraine persists for a good hour or more thereafter. If there are a lot of noises from different sources I start to feel real dizzy and detached. When I was a kid the stress of talking/sounds would drive me crazy, I'd get hyper and agitated and is probably a major contributor to why I couldn't handle school. When I was younger a doctor was looking into it but then I just kind of stopped going to doctors until I was in my later adult years so nothing ever really came of it. It's just one of those weird circumstances I just deal with and go about my day.

I'm not sure where the "cult-like psychobabble" comes into play, but if you mean the theory of "flow" it really just boils down to being hyper-focused, which is pretty well documented (and pretty internally observable to almost anyone who has become really absorbed with something they were doing).

If you mean the beats themselves, I am still pretty skeptical myself. I don't mean to imply "Binaural beats work!", all I am saying is that for whatever reason this particular one does some weird shit to me specifically. I don't know if maybe the droning noise is just right as to make it hard to "hear" or process my inner monologue and visual/aural thoughts or what. 

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26928 on: May 08, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »

Maybe each people have its own tune in set up to find, it's own resonance.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26929 on: May 08, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »

If you mean the beats themselves, I am still pretty skeptical myself. I don't mean to imply "Binaural beats work!", all I am saying is that for whatever reason this particular one does some weird shit to me specifically. I don't know if maybe the droning noise is just right as to make it hard to "hear" or process my inner monologue and visual/aural thoughts or what. 
I meant binaural beats themselves. This notion that there's emotions attached to certain binaural frequencies sounds like psuedoscience to me. Binaurality is inherent to daily life and happens a lot in acoustic music.

I'm not trying to downplay your experiences, it could very well be causing it, but it might not have much to do with the binaural nature and more that you're just listening to a high volume modulation for a very long time which does weird stuff to your brain. I notice that ringing feedback happens to me a lot when I'm trying to make synths or I'm trying to loop a short sample and I need to listen to the same tone for a long time.

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26930 on: May 08, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »

I meant binaural beats themselves. This notion that there's emotions attached to certain binaural frequencies sounds like psuedoscience to me.
Binaurality is inherent to daily life and happens a lot in acoustic music.
Music alters emotions, triggers memories, draws your attention, etc. so why wouldn't binaural frequencies not be able to do the same? All the binaural frequencies are is just a different kind of music, a different kind of sound. I don't think that they do everything claimed (at least I've not experienced it anyways), but I do think (especially after this recent experience) they have a different kind of potential. There are a lot of songs I listen to where I just lose myself and drift into the song, my mind goes quiet and the song absorbs most of my attention.

This isn't a whole lot different, it is just that whatever the sound is in this particular beat makes it very difficult to think and because of that I experience a weird sort of "mindfulness". It's nothing mystical or hokey, and I don't think it is my brain syncing to some frequency or whatever, I think it is just the right kind of noise that manages to make it hard to think without making it hard to act. I've hit some kind of weird sweet spot with it, and that is what interests me. I want to understand it and figure out how and why it is happening.

Maybe each people have its own tune in set up to find, it's own resonance.
I am starting to think that might be the case.

If anyone wants to join me in this endeavor I highly recommend listening to different beats with headphones while you play some engaging action-oriented game (Dark Souls, Call of Duty, Street Fighter, etc.). Maybe switch beats (which you can find easy on YouTube) between rounds/games. I am guessing if it works for you, you'll know you found the right beat because (at least from my experience) you kind of hyper-focus and you still play the game effectively despite having your inner monologue and wandering thoughts silenced/scrambled/interrupted (or whatever the hell it is doing). It'd be interesting to see if anyone else can hit that sweet spot and have a similar experience.

EDIT: Somewhat along the lines of discussion, but this is interesting:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:01:04 AM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26931 on: May 08, 2017, 04:23:40 PM »

Or just play ghost in the shell psx

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26932 on: May 08, 2017, 05:03:57 PM »

Only if it comes with complementary glow sticks and a stash of ecstasy pills.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26933 on: May 08, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »

also a maze and four ghost

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26934 on: May 08, 2017, 11:15:53 PM »

My mind is doing the late night wander...

...into the depths of caffeine-fueled madness.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:53:27 AM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26935 on: May 09, 2017, 09:17:50 AM »

start writing books little by little, once yo reach 200 page after soem years, push sells

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26936 on: May 09, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »

Neural network power

Teens vs. FaceApp (React)

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26937 on: May 09, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »

any updates on how I can adblock reaction videos? Server side destruction would of course be preferable but I feel like this is not as realistic.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pfotegeist
« Reply #26938 on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:18 PM »

The real definition of insanity is never giving up, that's me.

Einstein was only half right and everyone kept repeating him, so I thought I'd set the record straight.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26939 on: May 11, 2017, 05:34:41 AM »

i enjoyed the faceapp thing, didnt realize it was a neural network thingy

Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347] 1348 1349 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic