Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:30:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327179 times)
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #27000 on: May 28, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »

By the way, if anyone didn't know the first episode (out of 5) of Life is Strange is free on steam. It is a fucking awesome series, well worth playing.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27001 on: May 28, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »

But yeah I'm not sure how begging for reciprocal shitty stereotypes is progress but whatever man.
let's make the only time militant religious fanaticism was treated with nuance in a game be when it was about american white christians that's very cool and unproblematic

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27002 on: May 28, 2017, 12:30:58 PM »

so now its a non-christian cult that has no racial discrimination it seems?

Did you watch the trailer? It is very much a christian cult - we see forced baptisms, cult leader sermons, cross symbolism, literal bible waving by crazy people with christian words carved into their flesh, and more. And since one of the protags is a black pastor, I'm sure we'll see them be racist asswipes too.

The key here is that Ubisoft Montreal is taking care not to paint this as the norm of rural Middle America. They're not watering anything down and certainly not taking it safe.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27003 on: May 28, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »

looking forward to other shitty violent groups being portrayed with cultural sensitivity in future video games. how about infiltrating boko haram and finding out they're actually soft and complex human beings with their own internal demons after all just a bit misguided ya know

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27004 on: May 28, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

That (yet another bulky) black pastor has a gun though, because black (white guy has a plane, white woman as explosive) and black woman are absolute taboo to represent, only black men exist.

Well, hello there!

I don't think ubi soft is able of nuance, not that they try, asscreed 3, liberation and freedom try really hard and they tried with watch dog 2 too, but they have a superficial intellectual understanding of the problem, they can only paint broad stroke that looks like a low rez first contact of those issue. Even Mafia 3 which is better is able to go at the core of teh problem and end up sermoning the black guy with a black pastor and have cartoon KKK you don't actually see do bad stuff.

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #27005 on: May 28, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »

It's Farcry. I'll buy it, probably enjoy it, but in no way internalize it. FPS are glorified skeet shooters (thank you for ruining that phrase, Lil' John), cultural insensitivity pretty much is a given at this point so I am not expecting any less or more here. I play FPS for the mechanical structure, the setting is just flavor and decor. I don't think there is a point where FPS can ever sanely rationalize mass murder, let alone make it okay in any cultural context, except maybe in games like DOOM where you are fighting literal manifestations of evil, and even that is a long stretch.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27006 on: May 28, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »

Did you watch the trailer? It is very much a christian cult - we see forced baptisms, cult leader sermons, cross symbolism, literal bible waving by crazy people with christian words carved into their flesh, and more. And since one of the protags is a black pastor, I'm sure we'll see them be racist asswipes too.
It to be seen if they explicitly refer to it as christianity sect.
Theres gonna be Pearl Book and non-specific Water Initiation with vague star shaped insignia.
Is black pastor a protestant, catholic priest o is he just like, "theres good guys among that "christian" group"?
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27007 on: May 28, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »

finding out they're actually soft and complex human beings with their own internal demons after all just a bit misguided ya know

Dude, watch the trailer. In no way will this game try to paint the cult in a sympathetic light. They're shitheel violent (most likely) racist fanatics and they're going to die horrible and deserved deaths. The leader will die too, choking on his twisted theology as the protag kills him in a cutscene via a dramatic and ironic method - betting on some twisted crucifixion-esque tableau.

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27008 on: May 28, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

It to be seen if they explicitly refer to it as christianity sect.
Theres gonna be Pearl Book and non-specific Water Initiation with vague star shaped insignia.
Is black pastor a protestant, catholic priest o is he just like, "theres good guys among that "christian" group"?

It's rural America, so protestant Christianity is pretty much the only game in town as far as religion is concerned. The black pastor is wearing a clerical collar so he could be Methodist, Presbyterian or Lutheran. I'm really not sure what more they could do to show that it is a Christian cult besides literally saying it outright. Everything they've shown has dripped Christian themes and symbols in a major way. I don't see how anyone could confuse it for something else honestly.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27009 on: May 28, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »

I don't really get if Schoq's saying that giving an excuse for mass murdering people isn't okay but then also saying that being sympathetic to fanatics is okay, or something else.

JWK5 already said this but the issue with FPS games in general is that it's not really possible to have a humanizing story when you're mechanically shooting down a massive amount of entities. It's why most of those games end up as war games.

As for Far Cry 5, from my previous experience with Far Cry trailers or Ubisoft in general it's not very wise to judge the game based on trailers because it will probably end up being quite a lot different.

NomaGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27010 on: May 29, 2017, 05:56:07 AM »

Hi i didnt find how to post a video here, do i need to use some special code? Thanks
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27011 on: May 29, 2017, 07:50:19 AM »

things I temp. misunderstood while watching "What's With Wheat?"

Wheat and milk produce morphine which is very interesting because that means high quantities would act as pain killers. Although it wasn't specified.

Various products are cross contaminated with wheat, not just made from wheat. So the warning that wheat products are manufactured is a guarantee there is wheat in a non-wheat product.

Disadvantages
Dairy is easier to avoid than wheat. It's also in a lot of sweets. So you'll be cutting back on junk. Yogurt may become your greatest enemy one day because it is high in protein and considered very healthy (but maybe not for you).

Wheat is in a lot of snacks and health foods. It's also in food it didn't need to be in.

Gluten. You need to make 100% your own food and find trusted sources to avoid gluten. If you managed to gain a sensitivity then it'd best to avoid it completely.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27012 on: May 29, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »

People with imagined gluten sensitivity are creating unnecessary market inefficiencies and making normal food more expensive for everyone with their extra dumb brains and probably also believe in ghosts, astrology and have an unpleasant natural odour
also 90% likely to own a book about "quantum leaping" or similar

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27013 on: May 29, 2017, 08:29:21 AM »

But they also cause more palatable food to become available for the people who have legitimate gluten sensitivity.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27014 on: May 29, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »

If they call it sensitivity it's not legitimate

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27015 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »

Right, I meant to say intolerance.

In any case, my point is that the quality of life of some people is improved by this whole thing, so I'm cool with the gluten fad either way.

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #27016 on: May 29, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »

Right, I meant to say intolerance.

In any case, my point is that the quality of life of some people is improved by this whole thing, so I'm cool with the gluten fad either way.
Before the fad hit my wife, who is celiac, had pretty much absolute shit for cheap options here, anything gluten free was specialty and you had to drive out in the middle of nowhere to specialty stores to buy it for highway robbery prices (also, upon going to those stores it turns out there are a lot more celiacs in Pierce County than I ever would have thought). Since the fad hit you can get gluten free stuff just about anywhere and a lot of common goods brands carry gluten free versions of their product for cheap. My wife always says to people "I am so glad gullible people are out there making this a fad, I wouldn't be able to buy this stuff if they hadn't."

I am not sure for anywhere else, but it is not the presence of gluten free products driving up the food prices here (at least not significant enough to notice). It is transportation costs (i.e. food costs rise with gas costs), bullshit "cost of living" increases, etc. (i.e. all the fun ways our system loves to suffocate the poor with to see how many it can get to die off).

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27017 on: May 29, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »

I've literally never met a person who was into the entire gluten fad.

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #27018 on: May 29, 2017, 11:22:06 AM »

I've literally never met a person who was into the entire gluten fad.
I've met a few but a lack of gluten wasn't the forefront of their diet it was just another thing they were cutting back on or removing from their diet. I've not actually met anyone who is the stereotypical anti-gluten fanatic except online, where people will argue anything to the death.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27019 on: May 29, 2017, 01:51:14 PM »

paleo diet was the best food fad, because as we all know, people in the stone age lived long and healthy lives.
Pages: 1 ... 1349 1350 [1351] 1352 1353 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic