Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:01:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1369 1370 [1371] 1372 1373 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327414 times)
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #27400 on: October 10, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »

Is she a priest or a politician?
neither but check this out

That is fucking awesome! Shocked

I need something like that in my life
gotta say, i heartily recommend having a wife

I meant the other weird creature
I wouldn't mind having one of those too. Has she ever thought about making them and putting them up for sale? It may not be a desired career option but it could be extra money on the side and a way for her art to make others happy. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:08:35 AM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27401 on: October 10, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

Just in case people didn't get it, Harold Halibut is a real time video game running on unity, not a stop motion animation, it's using photogrammetry from puppet and hand made prop.

I have been fooled too

Also on the other sale, "ParaNorman" and "Kubo and the two string" are stop motion, modeled in 3d soft and 3d printed, I have been fooled to think it was cg.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27402 on: October 10, 2017, 11:17:51 PM »

The Harold thing looked good to me until it started moving and then it lost all semblance of stop motion and looked very gamey. But maybe I spend too much time around stop motion
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27403 on: October 11, 2017, 03:33:43 AM »

Paranorman is a god tier movie.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27404 on: October 11, 2017, 04:30:42 AM »

Paranorman is a god tier movie.
i went to a pre release screening of that with the directors and talked with them for a bit about the recording sessions and they showed off one of the norman puppets
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27405 on: October 11, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »

I agree about the mouvement, they benefit too much from the clean cg interpolation and there is not the mouvement noise of constant manipulation, but that's still quite good, and I think those "flaws" can be erase with further artistic decision like limiting the framerate and having moving "dirt".

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27406 on: October 11, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »

I agree about the mouvement, they benefit too much from the clean cg interpolation and there is not the mouvement noise of constant manipulation, but that's still quite good, and I think those "flaws" can be erase with further artistic decision like limiting the framerate and having moving "dirt".
i think faking the stop frame effect like they did in the lego movie or something would do a bit to help but it has a bit of an uncanny valley thing going on with, of all things, cloth movement. fabric just has a particular rigidity and way of moving in miniatures and when theres none of that deformation at all it looks weird.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27407 on: October 11, 2017, 12:32:20 PM »

Yeah that's what I was saying about mouvement noise, although this might not be the best way to describe it. When I first saw it, I was taken aback because something was off but it was also convincing, it's only later I learned it was made in unity everything fall into place. Just the incredible movement smoothness is jarring lol, it's like 48fps cinema again (also why "souris city" ("flushed away" in US) from the creator of Wallace and Groomit looks hella weird, it import the aesthetics of stop motion inside cg movie).

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27408 on: October 11, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »

i mean a lot of the principles of traditional animation (frame doubling etc) are kind of anathema to weird nerds these days so i can get why they wouldnt do it
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27409 on: October 11, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »

those lego movies do the thing where they make the character animation choppy and like 5 fps to mimic stopmotion and those seem like they did fairly well

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27410 on: October 11, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »

Frame doubling (animating on two aka 12fsps instead of 24fps) were always frown upon historically by the pioneer animator as an unnecessary cost saving evil, until a new generation born with anime and UPA style american animation start to fetishize it as a legit aesthetics (I'm such a hipster by the way).

Doubling on that is that so call fluid interpolated CG animation are actually having less expressive in between, which give a less interesting colder animation, which paradoxically is just a new way to save money by doing only key frame and loosely adjusting curve, making animating on two the more expensive craft again lol. Ultimately the number of frame doesn't matter as much as the final aesthetics.

IMHO it's possible it's an afterthought of not thinking through the animation process by using a tools that automate thing and just accept it. Guilty gear Xrd do the whole limited animation despite going 3d, which meant going against interpolated curves, which almost all fancy cel shading do not even consider and have weird swimming features all other the place. Being conscious of the process seems to be key instead of just accepting what the tools give you verbatim. Pixar does look good, but they spend 6month on a single shoot anyway, which is overkill for most.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27411 on: October 11, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »

those lego movies do the thing where they make the character animation choppy and like 5 fps to mimic stopmotion and those seem like they did fairly well
yeah but like put out a game that animates at 12 fps or whatever and see how that goes
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27412 on: October 11, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »

yeah but like put out a game that animates at 12 fps or whatever and see how that goes
I hzve some news for you

Why does Dragon Ball Fighter Z look so much like the anime? Animation breakdown

for other interested in animation and in between

The Pain of Animation: Tips Tricks and Techniques - Hjalti Hjalmarsson

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27413 on: October 11, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »

lots of games have character animation at 12 or much lower fps though, it's just choppy (or blurry) scrolling you can't do in games

budget animation does the same thing where the animation layer might be slow but panning at 24 fps doesn't cost anything so it's always smoother

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27414 on: October 11, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »

What most people fail to understand is that the frames per second of a game is completely irrelevant to smoothness of movement. It's actually for responsiveness that it's important. It doesn't matter if you character's animation only has like 4 frames (which NES games almost always had) as long as you can change direction or start shooting within a 60th of a second by pressing a button.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27415 on: October 11, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »

they all scroll at 60 and the position of sprites is updated 60 times a second is the point

Pfotegeist
« Reply #27416 on: October 13, 2017, 05:08:45 AM »

10 fps recording of a 30 fps screen animation. Nose, eyes, and ears are acting independently. You can see the smooth animation, eye; Continuous quick animation, nose, also moves face fur; Quick anticipatory animation, ears.

If you look carefully you might see the blink lose frames, this is a very slow blink. 

There are times in recordings of the old video games that a flashing animation makes the character turn invisible, so I guess you could say there's a distinct problem if the players aren't end-users.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27417 on: October 13, 2017, 06:14:12 AM »

back when youtube had a 30 fps restriction it always annoyed me how people who upload video game footage are almost all either too dumb or too lazy to blend the frames

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27418 on: October 13, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27419 on: October 13, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »

https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/918977692422123520