Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:07:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2324973 times)
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27480 on: March 22, 2018, 03:55:43 AM »

typing this at 1 fps at the moment on chrome

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27481 on: March 22, 2018, 04:18:57 AM »

Updating chrome fixed my issue

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27482 on: April 12, 2018, 04:08:19 AM »

Hi
Outside Kickstarter and all , do you know videogame funds in NYork or usa to apply to ? (we might extend to canada )
example :
https://gamecenter.nyu.edu/about/incubator/
Basically incubator investors help projects get going through their first steps
We will use kickstarter , indiegogo in the last chance i think

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27483 on: April 12, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »

I did the art vs. artist thing.  Gomez  Cave Story https://twitter.com/Doomlaser/status/984416164251095040

@doomlaser, mark johns
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27484 on: April 17, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »

SO this is the state of sonic fan works, HOLY SHIT
https://twitter.com/TheBlueBlurYT/status/986335026257244160/video/1
https://twitter.com/_DaiJon_/status/975552651734736896
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:03:39 PM by gimymblert » Logged

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27485 on: April 17, 2018, 01:39:32 PM »

wanted to post something snarky about wasted creative talent but then I remembered TV commercials

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27486 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »

Or is it a safe way to learn and hone craft for actually creative jobs? asking for a sonic shitty friend

CodeLobe
Level 0

Decide to Act Sensibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27487 on: April 17, 2018, 02:52:30 PM »

Meh, creating anything is better than nothing.
Coming up with a universe / characters oneself can be learned later.

Mimesis (mimicking to learn) is the foundation of higher order knowledge which even infants do naturally: The self creation of a pattern based on at least one experience which contains useful elements one seeks to reinforce internally.

In the recent past A.I. made a great leap after applying the principal.  If mimicry works for dumb machines and babies, it's OK for potential gamedevs too I guess.  Trick is to actually let them know they can do more than just mimic.

Some youngsters are actually unaware of HOW to create something new or that such is even possible.  Imagine a kid seeing a Disney show, learning it's a reboot of another older show, which is a rehash of Mother Goose which is a rehash of The Brother's Grim tales, which is a collection of older folk tales, which are rehashes of each other... they may assume everything is just remake of something else.  I met one six year old who did not realize the potential for new creations even existed.  In pre-school and 1st grade every time the teachers invoked "imagination" it was about some crap they had already seen in the past.  Not something new.  If I didn't know better I'd say this was by design.

What a strange realm this is becoming.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27488 on: April 18, 2018, 12:58:23 AM »

People now learn where to find information rather than strictly learning the information itself. I memorise every URL I use and have never liked or subscribed to anything because I am insane.
CodeLobe
Level 0

Decide to Act Sensibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27489 on: April 18, 2018, 05:43:52 AM »

People now learn where to find information rather than strictly learning the information itself.

Strange but true.  I've met few programmers who could actually make a program without looking up the language docs to find out what functions to call.  We teach people that a potential exists and to realize it they must consult a greater source of knowledge.  Rarely is that source within.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27490 on: April 30, 2018, 06:23:16 AM »

I've met few programmers who could actually make a program without looking up the language docs to find out what functions to call.
this sounds like a very useless skill

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27491 on: April 30, 2018, 07:05:31 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always made a distinction between knowing and understanding. I aim for the latter as most as possible but it did backfire on several occasions. So many exams in college required knowing. Then again, looking back on what my usual answers were "so you got this object that behaves like this and then it allows that other thingy to exchange energy with the first whatchacallit..." and I think maybe a bit of 'knowing' is important!

Not at all related: anyone heard of the uzebox? I am absolutely obsessed with this thing ever since I heard it existed. The dumbest way to describe it (but possibly efficient) is as a fantasy console without the fantasy part. It uses a cheap 8 bit microcontroller and it's open hardware, open software. It has emulator so you can play the games in your browser or you can build the thing and play it on your tv. I already ordered all the parts to put mine together. The only problem is that it seems to only attract engineers with a passing interest in videogames, so the library is almost entirely of demos and clones. It would be great if these communities would mix a little more.

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27492 on: May 01, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »

Aaaand my obsession with the uzebox faded. Actually I'm a bit disenchanted with it; it's way too limiting in the graphics sector. But now I have this itch for a simple cheap microcontroller videogame that isn't so restrictive. Anyone know of any other? Something closer to the 16 bit era maybe. I wish Pico-8 had hardware.. it wouldn't be a fantasy console anymore though Tongue

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27493 on: May 02, 2018, 12:34:04 AM »

it's way too limiting in the graphics sector.
xpend, xplain, xplicit, xpress!

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27494 on: May 02, 2018, 07:40:46 AM »

Keeping in mind this is the subjective opinion of an ignorant. I don't know exactly how it works under the hood, but graphics is handled somewhat indirectly by a layer called 'video mode' which, as the name implies, you can choose from a number of video modes. You can also make your own, of course, this is open source. And there is a big variety of video modes to choose from; some are high resolution, some have more colors, some have map N tiles and M sprites capabilities etc, some don't use sprites etc. I'm still going through all the options but they all have the same ram limitations. So even the lowest resolution and lowest number of colors you're still stuck with a single background layer with sprites over it and maybe with the possibility of scrolling the tile layer.

In my (ignorant and subjectiveTM) opinion it would be artistically more interesting to have less pixels on screen and less colors but more freedom of how to use it. I actually mentioned this there and my impression is that they are aware of it and the low RAM bottlenecks what can be done. Even with a super low resolution in black and white it would be hard to have a buffer system where you can draw at will and then display the result. The outcome is a lot of puzzle single screen games and some very simple looking scrolling games. Which is a shame because the processing power of this thing is actually better than 8 bit consoles.

Development is constant though, and there are active video modes still being developed and enough ready to use to fit almost every need.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27495 on: May 02, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »

So even the lowest resolution and lowest number of colors you're still stuck with a single background layer with sprites over it and maybe with the possibility of scrolling the tile layer.

SO like the gameboy or the nes?

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27496 on: May 02, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »

I... think so! but with a bit more processing power (although I suspect that is being used to simplify game development, it is C and not asm after all).

I hope I didn't sound too judgmental in my previous posts. My previous obsession with it is totally valid, this little system is quite an amazing project. I still want more ram though  Cheesy

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27497 on: May 02, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »

No worry, I'm intereting to see what's on, I don' care about teh judging, I didn't knew about it, I'm interested in trying old hardware the way they were, I'm currently doing old 3d rendering like wolfenstein or doom, though not at a low level yet, I hope to implement raster function for software 3d too.

It's just that doing pcg there is a lot to look back at this, so I'm training by redoing old stuff, I have start documenting myself on how people dealt with gb, snes, mega drive (genesis) and nes at hardware level. SO if I can have an actual cheap hardware to try, why not?

diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27498 on: May 02, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "the way they were". Maybe give uzebox a try to see if it's what you're looking for. I always wanted to make games for mega drive and those consoles from that era but the technical challenges are too much for me and that's why I find uzebox so appealing. And I consider a bonus that it doesn't use parts that are out of production, making it an actual modern system that you can buy new (or buy parts).

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27499 on: May 02, 2018, 03:52:57 PM »

I mean with the limitation of ye old day, like not having double buffering, only addition no mul or division, etc etc ... There is a lot of overlap with optimizing pcg stuff.

But there is more and more accessible tutorial and explanation how to do it anyway, as the information trickles down, especially on youtube, some people have a knack to turn hard concept into simple images.

some stuff I currently follow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SBEAZIfDAg? snes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzD8pNlpwI? game boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdjVfl_YWd8? mega drive

Pages: 1 ... 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic