Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:16:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1374 1375 [1376] 1377 1378 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2325536 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27500 on: May 03, 2018, 02:22:28 AM »

10 year's later, OUYA continues to dominate the video game's market without compe tition.....
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27501 on: May 03, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »

whatst the cheapest and easiest way to get the play station 3 kind of computer these days
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27502 on: May 03, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »

buying it
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27503 on: May 03, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »

Apparently you can emulate the ps3 now. Don't know how well that works though. You might have to rip the firmware off an actual ps3 still, so it's probably not an option as a proper replacement.

CodeLobe
Level 0

Decide to Act Sensibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27504 on: May 03, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

I'm interested in trying old hardware the way they were, I'm currently doing old 3d rendering like wolfenstein or doom, though not at a low level yet

Sweet.  I used to maintain a Doom/Doom2/Heretic/Hexxen "sourceport" (fork) until our small mod part of the modding community went to hell. Not one for politics and internal bickering, I dissolved into the larger doom mod community which is still thriving today. 

Let me know if you want to know optimization tricks or esoterics of 2.5D software rasterizers.  Duke3D's Build engine was far superior technology...  But I have a softspot for Doom.  I figured out how to emulate many of the idTech1 software rasterizer "glitches" in hardware acceleration because so many .WADs utilize odd rendering artifacts of the software engine to create actual features in the maps.

For example: Invisible Floors.  An area within a room can have an invisible floor that is higher than the visible floor; Useful to make invisible stairs, a "Leap of Faith" false cliff, or a "wavy" anti-grav room, etc.  To do this you manually change the "outside" of a linedef to a sector number having the same height as the floating floor. E.g., a room with a floor at 0 you place a sector (area) and give it a floor of 64 (~approx 1 doomguy height).  Then create another sector in a typically unreachable area of the map with floor of height 64, and change the "outsides" of the walls which would normally point to the sector/room with floor height 0 to point to point at the other sector with the same 64 floor height.  Doom's renderer will detect the difference of the "outside" as zero and not render the "step" faces nor floor texture of that area, thus creating an invisible structure not anticipated (or used) by the original idSoftware maps.

This is easy to emulate in any D3D or OGL etc. hardware texture and lighting pipelines, but what's difficult is the "visplane bleeding" effect used in conjunction with this effect to create "deep water" in many user created Doom maps (no official maps).  A bug in the renderer is exploited to get the engine to render the floor (or ceiling) texture in a straight vertical line above or below one or more horizontal lines.  Since the actual floor can be lower than this, it can seem like the player is standing in "deep water", not just on a floor with a water texture.   Emulating that is incredibly difficult as the engine code has to know about the bugs and detect the map maker's intent to recreate their effects since the 3D accelerated code does not work very much at all like the pixel column based software rasterizer.  It would be easier today with shaders, but at the time pixel shaders were not commonly supported yet (my code was fixed function pipeline only), i.e., spaghetti code everywhere, but it magically worked.

The glitches have been so embraced by mappers that you MUST support them or few modders / players will use your idTech1 (Doom/Doom2/Heretic/Hexen/Strife/ChexQuest/etc) compatible rendering engine. E.g., 2017 Cacowards 1st place winner created a map set with gameplay made out of engine glitches.  It's a strange thing, to attempt to recreate glitch-complete hardware accelerated engine for a game that runs fine in software.  Initial reason being to add things like scripting support to Doom, and then the modders get excited and request all these old glitches & bugs as "engine features".  It's fun though, akin to the joy one gets from creating amazing things in limited mediums; Echoes of demoscene vibes.

On the topic of old hardware: While cleaning up some more old hardware we're finally getting rid of at the office I found a machine running a not too ancient Debian + XFCE.  I came back from lunch and to my surprise the machine looked like some kind Atari computer/console running an attract-mode.  It was XScreenSaver's m6502:

(source repo)
The screensaver doesn't just (kind of) emulate an old video mode, it contains a 6502 virtual machine and can load custom programs from assembly files. Javascript version of the 6520 emulator (not emulating an actual console though).

I've also got a few old projects on the backburner such as updating old software rasterized games like "Terminal Velocity" (which had a hybrid voxel-data->polygon & sprite engine, and supported up to 8 player vs /w voice messages, impressive for 1995).  Kind of interested in making some PC Engine / Turbografx 16 homebrew.  So many projects, so little time (or so I once assumed).

TL;DR: Sounds like you're capable, but hit me up if you need any pointers about low level guts of old rendering engines not just idSoftware's.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:24:40 PM by CodeLobe » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27505 on: May 04, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »

I'm noty going THAT far yet, just getting the basics first (of rendering), like baby's version of the engine, but since you seems like the hardcore ASM type of programmer, I have a very good challenge for you: Ken Silvermann's voxlap, if you can transcribe the techniques in plain english so I can Make the baby's version of that! Tongue By the game you made the build engine (aka the superior version of the doom engine). http://advsys.net/ken/voxlap.htm
I understand the part where he raster voxel using boundaries like wolf, that he use rle encoded voxel vertically, use a version of wave surfing and that's almost it... I don't know how he get "room over room windows" with voxels Sad

If I can understand that I'll dive into optimization too

For doom I'm taking a lot of inspiration from the beginning of that video, but I'm not there yet, I implemented the comanche voxels (4DOF wave surfing landscape) on blitzbasic that's it, the wolfeinstein is still pending (has some glitch, no input yet, no texture and no variable wall trick)

In the optimization learning, I want to know how the f!!! they did 3d on bbc in elite, doesn't have nay mul at all!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:35:28 PM by gimymblert » Logged

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27506 on: May 28, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »

If I want to post about a game I made for a game jam where would I do that? Its not really a devlog or something I wan't to playtest and keep working on. I just wanna show people  Shrug

Edit: Townhall I guess?
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=64953.0
Play my game TRUMPYJUMP! An arcade game where you're donald trump knocking people off a wall!
Playable in browser or downloadable .exe!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:47:22 AM by Chris MacAdam » Logged

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27507 on: June 02, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »

Another thing now is I am having trouble uploading a new avatar.. My old one seems to have disapeared, and whenever I try to link to it in my profile, after I save changes my avatar is gone and I have a default 'upload pic' there.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I tried an image size of 100x100 and then 95x95 and uploaded to imgBB.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27508 on: June 13, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »

It has to be a direct image link and you can't use https.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27509 on: June 23, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »

ONLY cool non euclidean kids will understand

Pfotegeist
« Reply #27510 on: July 15, 2018, 05:18:39 AM »

Pfotegeist
« Reply #27511 on: July 16, 2018, 07:27:47 AM »

I think social media looks like a game. A lot can be said about how individuals will respond to talking to anonymous people. Mass social media is definitely treated like a game, where losers are self-identified, and targeted by trends.  It's a really stupid game that needs to have its rules examined.

Reality has a restrictive rule system. All actions are possible, but some actions are labeled as incorrect.  This is close to what social media uses. Here's the thing, people will inherently believe there's some explicit rules to challenge poor decisions they'll make.  It's a really stupid game.  A type of wisdom is supposed to build up just from experiencing reality, and with that, morality and rationalization over what rules are counter intuitive.

Abstract games use an explicit rule system. All possible actions are allowed, some have penalties.  As a way of thinking, it is dangerous because it removes any need to acknowledge avant-garde, discipline, morality.

Now, there's one more important distinction among games. When you involve someone else in actions there's inherently a moral consequence.  To acknowledge this means to greatly restrict actions, because moral consequences lead to stress.

edit:
I guess I want to know if this is worth a discussion. Like, I've pretty much decided I don't want a game that'll cause stress, greatly limiting it to single player. 
I need some way to prevent people from taking any idea and turning it into a bomb. I think. Otherwise I'm restricted to even less ambitious goals that lack culture impact.
Ultimately a rationalization to annoy people is necessary. Like, hey, I'm a bunny.

Recognizing a root problem is key to survival.  Like the corruption of mass social media and the steady rise of stress in anyone viewing it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:55:07 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27512 on: July 17, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »

Abstract games are more common than we think.  A type of abstract reality game is known as ritual. People use actions to acknowledge they're playing, entering the game. Exit actions aren't always available. Something with an entry and no exit is terrible game design.

My friend, player A has a problem. He's entered a reality game with player B.

So I read or see a video about actions by player A, player A is famous in a way... "Being player A" is practically a ritual. Every moral action player A takes is penalized, and an action taken by player B isn't.  So the question becomes how does player A end the game? Of course, taking zero actions is always an option.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27513 on: July 18, 2018, 12:07:07 AM »

are you ok?
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27514 on: July 18, 2018, 04:48:09 AM »

I lack any real motive other than to display how annoyed I am.  I prefer to use my personal bun dev parlance rather than use the internet commoner's hyperbolic numbers of arbitrary quotients and other social trickery.  Really the fewer people acknowledge this comment after reading it the better.

Later I reread some shit posts I make, also like a bunny.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27515 on: July 18, 2018, 05:42:41 AM »

Alright then, but are you ok?
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27516 on: July 18, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »

I believe I'm in good health.  I can be even better though, with time.
Really the baseline of ok is pretty low.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27517 on: July 18, 2018, 07:43:21 AM »

i never know what the fuck this guy is talking about except that he's a bunny

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27518 on: July 18, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »

He is lying he is a hare