Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:14:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1380 1381 [1382] 1383 1384 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327244 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27620 on: January 02, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »

Expo hall C, booth 17!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27621 on: January 08, 2019, 01:38:35 AM »

I'm not sure cobralad is actually aware of the christmas santa rip off of metal gear

Pfotegeist
« Reply #27622 on: January 23, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »

I've been avoiding gluten for a few years now and I think my internal organs have healed. Sensation has returned to my extremities, I can control muscle, and my nervous system is beginning to heal so I can remember, and although my muscle memory died off years ago I think it's building up again.

There's this trick where you stand in a door jam and push out with your shoulders. If you walk away your arms feel like they float up. Mine don't do that, I also lifted weights with zero payoff for a long time too which could be related.
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27623 on: January 24, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »

I've been avoiding gluten for a few years now and I think my internal organs have healed. Sensation has returned to my extremities, I can control muscle, and my nervous system is beginning to heal so I can remember, and although my muscle memory died off years ago I think it's building up again.

There's this trick where you stand in a door jam and push out with your shoulders. If you walk away your arms feel like they float up. Mine don't do that, I also lifted weights with zero payoff for a long time too which could be related.

I strongly recommend that you see a doctor for whatever this is if you haven't done so already.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #27624 on: January 24, 2019, 08:59:20 PM »

The human body is a mystery that a futuristic society will understand. I'd like a doctor from there.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27625 on: January 27, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »

Found this today via facebook group !

The creation is reallysimplified and could be useful for those who are not heavy on coding
Of course you wont make crazy complex games but thats a good start i think

Pfotegeist
« Reply #27626 on: January 31, 2019, 06:43:29 AM »

We're all aliens now. How do we prove and preserve the existence of humanity? Just an opinion, any solution involving jettisoning gold into space is equally effective as dropping said proof into a volcano.

Except

I'm still a bunny and will try to disprove you

edit: ok we don't have to play this, it's probably a game for kids anyway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:54:17 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27627 on: January 31, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »

Best thing in gaming; well done MS, well done!

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27628 on: February 04, 2019, 09:03:16 AM »

should i watch castlevania season 2?
First one had it lows but was pretty much pilot movie.
I watched first s2 episode and it was garbage and there is like 20 ahead. Am i getting old? Is it writen by someone who doesnt give a shit but has writer creds?(yes) Will it ever get entertaining?
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27629 on: February 05, 2019, 01:25:52 PM »

Castlevania animated season 2 became a sociopolitical critique. So if you think you'd like to hear something along those lines it's good.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27630 on: February 05, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »

dont know what to think about it.
season 1 introduced modern english catholic priests into 14th century wallachia and religion vs science aesop into series where crucifix works as WMD. No mention of ottomans as usual.

upd: one game character got a race lift and now i read he is former slave who is into masochism. WTF.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27631 on: February 12, 2019, 06:01:18 AM »

Doesn't look at Google One drive for a year.
Google: This is suspended, and will be deleted if it's not opened for another month.
Me: WTF I look at the email a couple times per month, I have to specifically access all the things?

Opens an old email meant for a recovery for Facebook. Suspended indefinitely... that's weird. Microsoft Outlook basically.

I open a new email with the same name, replace the recovery email on facebook. A month later, new email is suspended indefinitely.

I see what's going on. These auto detection algorithms are fucking stupid.

So basically: No email = spam. Too much email = spam.
Carefully stored, not used for a year = volatile data storage. Shitpost = archivable goldmine.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:01:23 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27632 on: February 16, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »

I played some online games that my old PC still has access to. February ended certain access for me.

First the games weren't balanced. When you go from single to multiplayer games there's a natural shift to stereotypes, much more blatantly than simply understanding a game. What was I saying? Games reflect the prisoner's dilemma because teams of metagamers can reformat the communities in a month or two. Well now. I guess multiplayer games are pretty fun for people who play in large groups.

Games are intended to be a medium ripe for exploitation.

Play single player campaigns if you want a more traditional video game, ok this isn't quite right.

Ok next point of view. Some people play with their friends, not the online multiplayer experience that game companies are pushing.

(Is it reasonably circular?)

I can offer a level headed suggestion. Simply recognize that the online games are bad, people will think there are bots and hackers even if there aren't, so there must be some reassurance. Random teams aren't valid, and may actually indebt validation. Cooperative games have only succeeded (to be entertaining) when a method of victory existed for a single expert player to carry a whole group of afk players.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:34:05 PM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27633 on: February 20, 2019, 08:56:59 AM »

The merit of most big company IP regressed. I went and looked at various games or opinions thereof for more insight in the matter.

I believe there's no one true explanation. Although the current state of microtransactions exploding in various non-f2p founded communities has pissed off quite a hefty consumer base -and this ecological chlorination offense could be a mother of it all.  After all, microtransactions were the staple of dirt quality mobile games that felt so bad (for art, for games) in the first place, with such crummy merits as classical conditioning, only power hungry dogs would be led astray, and dog-like customers would keep paying in. Customers would punish bad press. Now companies are trying to punish customers, pretty sad.

At least there's a developer who did the right thing (not me). What I found was, well, a game that promoted some symbolism and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Ludens was hanging out there. On the page I found this passage informative.

Huizinga identifies 5 characteristics that play must have:[7]

Play is free, is in fact freedom.
    Play is not "ordinary" or "real" life.
    Play is distinct from "ordinary" life both as to locality and duration.
    Play creates order, is order. Play demands order absolute and supreme.
    Play is connected with no material interest, and no profit can be gained from it.

This last part about material interest could just be a stereotype... but it could also be a state of mind.  There is plenty about psychology that isn't answered.  The point here is if your goal is earning money then there's no point in playing, there's no point in following the order or differentiating play from an attempt to win and dominate your opponent, and when you finally reach the top there's nothing left to do. (in theory)
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27634 on: February 21, 2019, 08:26:43 AM »

I liked talking about this so much I thought I'd go re-digest a bit.

"When you go from single to multiplayer games there's a natural shift to stereotypes, much more blatantly than simply understanding a game."

Early in my internet exploration years I thought maybe this was intentional.  The best logical explanation I've heard can actually be summed up in a video someone made recently*. And there's also the means of large groups of people conspiring to bully new players, just turn them into stereotypes and reward any who successfully do stupid shit (real world problems).

[pretty much describes stereotypes, and players not helping the team because behavior is stereotypical and lacks a real group benefit]

"... recognize that the online games are bad..."

They're not confined well enough. If the next person can confuse a poorly displayed game with reality it's a shock piece, like you'd expect from edgy poet societies, or zero context criminals.

"I believe there's no one true explanation."

Summarized: Mobile games are games, but the numerical profit sucked the life out of the industry.

"Huizinga"
He's some sort of psychologist I think. I never heard of this person before yesterday. I'm pretty sure his definition of play is dated not taking VR and new tech into account.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27635 on: April 14, 2019, 10:58:31 AM »

You know what would be really cool? A full game making environment, not just an engine. You open it, make your art in it, code your stuff. All in a single neat package.

Pico-8 does it but it comes with its (sometimes fun) limitations too. Sometimes I don't want to challenge myself with limitations; In fact, sometimes I want the opposite! sometimes I feel so lazy I just want a ready to work environment where I can dump my ideas as fast as possible.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #27636 on: April 15, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »

it's call game maker and unity

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27637 on: April 15, 2019, 11:53:05 AM »

You can’t compose music in gm, and you often need external tools for a miriad things in both cases.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27638 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54:53 AM »

Unity is my engine of choice and it has none of those luxuries I'm talking about. I need more luxuries! MOAR.

Game Maker does have a tiny pixel art editor. So that's on the right path! I'm highly considering buying it. But...
You can’t compose music in gm, and you often need external tools for a miriad things in both cases.
Not quite there yet apparently. But still appealing.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27639 on: April 16, 2019, 07:06:54 AM »

seems a bit much to essentially ask a single program to be better than every specialized creative tool in existence at what they do

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 1380 1381 [1382] 1383 1384 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic