Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:51:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1388 1389 [1390] 1391 1392 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2326865 times)
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27780 on: March 07, 2020, 07:17:08 AM »

So what I thought when the coronavirus came to US seemingly intentionally was that someone was going to research a vaccine and save China. I did not expect I had to say anything.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27781 on: March 08, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »

imo most people here probably look like that guy from "jack-arse". Ban Magenta or something??
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27782 on: March 08, 2020, 12:42:33 PM »

https://twitter.com/KenzoShibata/status/1235647649325301760

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27783 on: April 05, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »

I'm sorry if I posted or did anything unusual recently. Medicine had unforeseen consequences. Even really simple sounding stuff. Luckily some professionals were able to identify there was any problem at all and I was sent to a better facility that acknowledged I needed something edible.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #27784 on: April 06, 2020, 04:11:53 AM »

It's ok, we're just glad to know you're doing well! Coffee

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27785 on: November 25, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »

https://www.twitch.tv/goodmorsel

I've been streaming on twitch this week to stave off social isolation madness
moonmoonmark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27786 on: December 09, 2020, 04:09:36 AM »

I've been watching a lot of videos of ThatGuyGreg on Youtube, who kind of shows the backstory of some indie games, how they game into existence, how they grew, where they are now etc.

I really like this one about Among Us:

Very inspirational, motivational, and interesting for aspiring gamedevs!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27787 on: December 22, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »

ok who the FUCK put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27788 on: July 26, 2021, 11:56:26 AM »

I think I'm ready to start talking about games again. Or in this case just the game development.

I saw the humanitarian message of Death Stranding's development.  So, at any rate, you have to work with the life experience you're given.

The ludens symbol that showed up is probably more evocative. Well, the idea of someone doing stuff just for fun might be what's awesome, and inevitably they get really good at it.

I also did some experimental behavior writing.

During my down time I ended up programming an auto-clicker type of script, for World of Talesworth. Eventually it could play raids better than humanly possible, and finish the game.  It lost the functionality to play the early part of the game before I was done though.

I got a ton of insight into how to program something that'd result in more realistic ai expectations, there's a lot of timing involved, sometimes I had it watch for an expected feedback, sometimes it just had to keep moving and hope it worked.

I forgot I wrote that auto-clicker, almost completely. I'll have to remember it again later when I do the ai properly.
FreezyDude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27789 on: August 03, 2021, 12:16:00 PM »

Is it possible to edit a topic's name?
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27790 on: August 03, 2021, 02:14:09 PM »

Is it possible to edit a topic's name?

I seem to remember that it might not be as a regular user (I don't have a non-moderator account handy to test), but moderators certainly can. If editing the first post in the thread doesn't do it, feel free to send me a PM with the thread you'd like to change and I can do it.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #27791 on: August 16, 2021, 09:58:58 AM »

Metal Gear Solid was a heavy influence on some of the things I thought about as a teenager. I mean, the whole joke about genetics, fatalism.  I was already determining environment factors, and there's no way we understood the genome yet, so the game's predictions were a joke. Genes make some people taller, they would be better soldiers in medieval warfare, I know that now jk jk. I thought about the nonsense a lot of people said during high school, mostly the actual people around me, sometimes the books I read, sometimes the video games, they were all pretty skewed to an ideal I didn't need to understand, it was simply too flawed. I know the term dangerous nonsense, and what it means too well, it came from every direction. Games can't be blamed for doing the same thing everyone else did.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27792 on: August 20, 2021, 02:32:25 AM »

I was hearing a guy in a video talk about how you go to school. And some people have to use faith to assert what they're learning will be useful. I know for a fact even short animations validating information greatly enhance people's memory. The few people who don't believe anything they learn in school is useful, because it's all so abstract, need to see someone apply it on a regular basis.

Case and point: The teachers proved they could read during elementary school. The teachers had to read everything out of a book to avoid saying the wrong thing. Most kids learned to read, even if they don't use it.

Although kids like me would be less prone to pick up a skill just because they saw someone else using it. And for a long time I thought it was funny they had to refer to books for even the smallest detail.

Enter games. Even inaccurate depictions of physics and real world events add interest. Inevitably, what matters right now is how well an individual can detect dissembling, coercion, fiction, or lies, by the time they're an adult. That is a set of skills you practice, sometimes by getting disappointed repeatedly. Then once a flimsy bit of information enters your scope, something you can understand but don't believe, the next step is discovering the truth, which is another set of skills.

Faith based learning doesn't practice these skills, but observation based learning does. On the other hand if you convince yourself everything you hear will be useful later, regardless of how abstract it currently is, it's easier to be creative. So, I deliberately thought, even if stuff sounds useless, it was useful, it's important I hear about more things, rather than crystallize the knowledge right away, so I actually can't really understand things for a couple of weeks when I first learn about them. They are quite possibly invalid data.

On an individual level, putting more effort into improving your grade is a subjective sense of improvement. So, if a kid does minimal effort for 70% of the grade, that is what they will do, because a lot of practice in school is based around challenging your information refractory period, and punishing you for not having a developed brain. It either doesn't matter, and a kid does the minimal effort, or it matters and a kid is internalizing unfairness as a way of life.

Real world example is my elementary school was too easy so I got nearly perfect scores while sleeping through class. I never really was able to remember things quickly on command, certain stimuli like things they wrote on the paper would cause the memory to surface, usually. After that, it felt like I was in a real school starting in 6th grade, and scored about 80% of the grade most classes, sleeping. But the classes got weird, they wanted us to apply everything we learned Monday on Friday, and we got weekend homework. I did my homework in school for a pretty good reason.

Enter games. I don't want to think about school at home. I don't want anyone seeing me doing homework at home. Reminding anyone I was in school seemed like a faux pas for the self-centered nihilism my family adopted at the time. A few times I ended up on the floor doing math because the homework from certain math classes are somehow two hours long just to get a check marked off.

Unironically, playing video games at home for me was practicing how to think under pressure. Quite literally, harder than an exam, learn to keep a cool head under pressure a few seconds away from danger, and you can take an exam without a single hint of anxiety.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 03:12:06 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27793 on: August 21, 2021, 07:33:01 AM »

I wasn't able to acknowledge I was a fan of anything until I was about 27 years old. My opinion of things was simply that things were, and they weren't what they looked like.

Now, objectively, a large portion of time is wasted because the environment of school is inappropriate. The teachers in high school should be bored, but they function out of their enjoyment of near-repetitive doling of useless information. They never stop to conserve their energy and react inappropriately to small pokes at the accuracy of their lesson and if asked a question they say they'll get to it later, and they usually don't.

After watching videos of the games that came after the games I played, I know I'm a fan.

It's like, when everything's too simple you expect a meta, and the only meta is socializing doesn't get taught in school, you have to steal it.

As for my opinion of video games. The things you might be introduced to early on have a stronger impact, whatever your chemical makeup is. In my case it would unlock a great deal of possibilities. The stuff I imagined as a kid really stuck with me. Video games have not lived up to that, but I understand the technical limitations are still in effect.

So, you know someone who just talks about a bunch of things that couldn't possibly happen to relax, that's an approximation. More accurately, I'd talk about the game, like it has no technical limitations, and the possibilities I imagined came to life on the screen. Eventually I'd get back to the game and recognize its simplicity, and I'd be able to easily beat it.

In reality games are almost entirely skill based, so they have a real value of teaching practical and quick thinking, and hand coordination (I'm ambidextrous), without lasting consequences that would discourage continuing. Games aren't really that amazing, they're only the greatest thing to happen to my brain.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:18:26 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27794 on: August 29, 2021, 07:01:55 AM »

This caters to my experiential bias too much. I like the idea that a realm of uncertainty in video games and mythology could grow our creative experience. School was incredibly easy until I somehow made it harder for myself.

A realm of uncertainty in our every day life, like socializing and economics, tends to push people who are obsessed with survival to the solution that comes naturally, earning money now, and trying to stay out of conflicts while remaining under an umbrella of safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR2P5vW-nVc&ab_channel=BigThink?

After I thought about it. It sounds too easy.

How about, creativity causes uncertainty? Because avoiding the uncertainty is to avoid the creativity.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 10:30:28 AM by Pfotegeist » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27795 on: August 29, 2021, 06:17:57 PM »

I'm going to post an unrealistic interpretation of economics so don't get too excited.

First let me introduce my economic experience. I learned about laissez faire capitalism in school, and I understand monopolies, in capitalism, if unchecked they can drive out competitors. A very contradictory foundation to say the least, but necessary because a growing economy is organic.

So basically my older brother learned about money, early, and he was pure evil when he had the slightest hint he understood anything about the world so I ended up being treated completely different and ended up both saving it, and not respecting it in the slightest.

You know RTS games, like Command & Conquer where you gather all all the resources from the map because it makes you feel like you accomplished everything? The mission is done, there's nothing else to do, the world is over. That's what happens to business when the economy can't grow anymore. Inevitably, something needs to take complete control of global resources, but I'm not sure what.

In Sim City pollution kills the flow, and your population. That's easily compared to global warming.

These are old video games, and they were better models at predicting real world circumstances caused by poor planning and an inability to grow beyond the given mission. If there's a system we're expecting to work, make a game out of it. If there's no system we're expecting to work, well that sucks, crowdsource for ideas. Make a game if you think it'll be fun, too.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #27796 on: August 30, 2021, 03:29:17 AM »

Astronomical Physics Emulation

I think this is more the department Rocket science would be concerned about, in the future, but it's worth the effort to think about.

We need to understand how much mass alters space-time or astronomical calculations remain far from accurate. In fact, the difference in time between two planets may be so large. Mars for example, could have a time gap of several minutes, or days in the future, compared to Earth per year.

Some pseudo-science monologue
The rudimentary explanation is, the universe behaves like it's filled with a fluid and currents. In outer space, physics disobeys how we expect a completely empty vacuum to behave, in very strange ways.

These aren't mutually exclusive theories, and seem to work with much about what is already known. So, they can only be disproved later.

Evidence of time dilation
The evidence is, we know that time is slower the higher gravity is. Inanimate objects leaving the solar system appear to accelerate.

Space-time that is outside gravity is relatively 'fast' compared to our time which remains nearly the same, and to our idle observation it looks like a shift in speed and direction.

My Conclusions due to this phenomenon
Time obeys gravity, mass in its natural state is a higher priority of the natural law, preceding time in dimensions.

Theory of individual time
Time obeys mass, not the other way around. Matter equals mass, mass increases gravity, gravity increases time.

Extrapolation

Dark matter, it's determined to exist because of extra mass that doesn't absorb or emit radiation.

The current theory about dark matter
We can't see dark matter, we're not advanced enough to see it.

An old theory I had
This is slightly poetic, it can't be disproven, but there's no real evidence either. I'll float it by anyways.

Dark matter could be mass existing in other dimensions, but gravity only exists in the 3rd dimension, so we don't see 4th dimensional collisions with our 3rd dimension.

New Theories
Disprove the premise and the rest falls apart. The individual theories can be disproven as well some day, if they're worth the effort, and wrong.

Premise
Dark matter is mass-time we can't observe directly at this point and time.

Scientists can easily observe an object's mass, but its mass-time is different, the every point in time mass exists has gravity. The difference in time causes a falloff in gravity so any observable mass has finite gravity.

So if 85% of the mass in the universe is dark matter it is the past and future of individual bodies of mass.

Mass-Time-Bucking Dilemma

When calculating the discrepancy of high speed acceleration upon massive objects, an object that accelerates very quickly will require additional force, its own past drags it backwards. Compared to the total gravity of a planet next to a rocket, it may be easy to ignore. An object with mass can't reach reach light speed without being converted into energy.

I also heard from one sonic episode of Game Theory that your mass would become anti-matter of equal mass if you went back in time so, at some point it's pure energy.

Some pseudo-science, Anti-matter Precognition
You would absolutely end up with brain damage when anti-matter destroys parts of your brain, but a message in a bottle could travel back to cause severe stress, from that perception of danger you'd change the future.

Some pseudo-science, Tachyon Precognition
If you could send tachyons back, it would be very similar to accelerated thought, if you remained still for a long period of time and practice positive thinking, you'd get something like a precognitive mood boost.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #27797 on: August 30, 2021, 12:10:27 PM »

ok who the FUCK put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp

still no fucking answer to this
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27798 on: August 30, 2021, 12:53:05 PM »

ineffable

Pfotegeist
« Reply #27799 on: August 31, 2021, 02:13:08 AM »

This is just where my mind decided to go this morning. It's pretty common I have a strange stream of ideas every morning, but they're not usually so real sounding.

There's a far-flung future problem with deep space.

Traveling near light-speed isn't the only thing messing with our perception of time. From a solar-bound perspective, something like a generational ship that's on a 10,000 year journey enters deep space at a conservative pace and pops out of the other end, nearly instantly because the space-time is so thin their relative time is down to a millionth. This is simply a phenomenon we aren't equipped to observe, bodies that travel through deep space are a closed system of massive gravity and light.

Without the correct variables, deep-space navigation is going to be a series of estimates and corrections. What if we severely undershoot our destination? What if our absolute speed is so far off, a closed system appears to accelerate past us, and continues to do so when we chase after it?
During a deep space journey the rest of the universe would appear to stop moving. This would prompt a space ship to correct its course and point at where it wants to be based on the intuitive model of velocity. When the universe begins moving again, and a small body enters a closed system, they'd begin observing the real speed the closed system is moving at, it would appear to accelerate.
With correct variables and estimates, reaching the right destination at the correct absolute speed is finally possible.

Ok. On the grand scheme of things. We may find a way to live in deep space, separate from matter, so it might not even matter by then.

Those are the obvious problems. Now more about the change in perception based on individual time.

Individual time alters my perception of how The Big Bang would have occurred
It's quite possible the universe was a solid clump of subatomic particles end to end before time existed, because there was no time to prompt movement. The sudden crunch to a point in space would have been instantaneous, the universe was both a solid mass of particles and a single point of mass in the instant it was created.

All the time in the universe is condensed at that moment. There is no point in space-time, or physical form of matter, that will ever have existed longer. The lifetime of the matter in the universe from a multiverse perspective, is dramatically shorter as its gravity spreads thin.

Another way to look at it is, material death is definitely going to restart this chain of events. If particles are the only thing remaining, there will be no time once again. But, rather than a complete reset, there will very likely be subatomic crunching on a smaller scale, black holes may even form from what we perceive as nothing, assuming we're still there to observe it.

Because of mass-time, I think time behaves more like a physical substance
We only have gravity as a detection method. But this is where extra dimensional beings come into play. Time itself could be a valuable resource an extra-dimensional species can harvest. So, most likely the target would be a sup9er-dense object that's not quite a black hole, because black holes have strange properties.

I may start saying time is 'thin' in deep space or it 'increases' when the multiverse lifespan for things near other massive objects is much greater. I don't think it'll be too hard to understand.
Pages: 1 ... 1388 1389 [1390] 1391 1392 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic