Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411899 Posts in 69427 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 08, 2024, 04:26:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2338934 times)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9640 on: January 19, 2012, 03:00:11 PM »

I thought wikipedia was off limits as a resource for school reports on account of the whole lack of credibility thing.

When I was in college it was, at least.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9641 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »

Anonymous attacked a couple of .gov sites.http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-universal-sopa-235/
Time to show the American government that they should fear the population, not the opposite.   Cool

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9642 on: January 19, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »

the problem is that these anon attacks are probably going to result in even more restrictive measures by the american gov.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #9643 on: January 19, 2012, 03:55:38 PM »

I thought wikipedia was off limits as a resource for school reports on account of the whole lack of credibility thing.

When I was in college it was, at least.

Yeah, but what people do is use Wikipedia as a source and just jack the references and sources Wikipedia uses.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #9644 on: January 19, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »

god dammit, now we have another thing to worry about.

Facepalm
Ashkin
« Reply #9645 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »

Facepalm
So are they just changing a few things in SOPA and giving it a new name now? WHEN WILL IT END. WHAT MUST WE DO.
Kramlack
« Reply #9646 on: January 19, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »

Facepalm
So are they just changing a few things in SOPA and giving it a new name now? WHEN WILL IT END. WHAT MUST WE DO.

From the looks of it, ACTA is the Euro version of SOPA, soooooo...
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: January 19, 2012, 10:00:10 PM »

ACTA, I think, is what we were dealing with around the turn of the century.
leonelc29
« Reply #9648 on: January 20, 2012, 01:46:02 AM »

what do we do now!? we're going to need more armies and start an attack! THIS IS INTERNEVOLUTION!   Hand Fork Left Mock Anger Hand Knife Right
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: January 20, 2012, 04:05:53 AM »

At what point do you folks think that a webhost should be made criminally responsible for piracy on their website?

Do we at least agree that sits like the pirate bay have already crossed that line, and really should be punished for openly engaging in IP theft?

The SOPA / PIPA / ACTA thing won't go away because even after the demonstrations and blackouts IP theft will continue. It's a legitimate concern that a new movie or game will come out, and many websites will then immediately offer free copies of it, often profiting from the exchange.

Some public support for anti-piracy in other means (such as major sites offering some concessions to help stop piracy, such as fast-track forms to report stolen IP or statements denouncing piracy to at least set the tone for their content) would dull the edge of the media push for this legislation because it presents an alternative, even if it might be a weak one.

Simply hammering the legislation as "bad" without offering any alternatives fuels the media's argument that the lion's share of the opposition just wants to keep the avenues for piracy open.

SOPA's bad, but it seems like the discussion ends there. How do you, or can you curb piracy?
Nix
« Reply #9650 on: January 20, 2012, 07:18:37 AM »

At what point do you folks think that a webhost should be made criminally responsible for piracy on their website?

Do we at least agree that sits like the pirate bay have already crossed that line, and really should be punished for openly engaging in IP theft?

How do you, or can you curb piracy?

1) I don't necessarily agree that The Pirate Bay should be punished, but that's ideological. I do agree that The Pirate Bay engages in something that, if you want to punish pirates, deserves punishment. The biggest issue here is that currently if a copyright holder contacts a website such as YouTube, YouTube is legally obligated to take down the infringing material. YouTube already does this under DMCA (ThePirateBay doesn't). What SOPA does (or did, they may have fixed it given everything that's happening) is give copyright holders the right to have all of YouTube shut down until further investigation. That's why everyone is freaking out. You might say "No judge in his right mind would shut down YouTube because of that!" Judges are old and often don't understand these things. A convincing argument from Viacom's lawyer could wreak havoc on the internet.

2) You can't.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9651 on: January 20, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »

Idag är min födelsedag Gomez

(?)

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9652 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

Congrats! Grin

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Theophilus
« Reply #9653 on: January 20, 2012, 10:10:23 AM »

Is it too pretentious to call my rapid development quick games as opuses?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9654 on: January 20, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »

I thought 'opus' meant a complete composition

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Theophilus
« Reply #9655 on: January 20, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »

I thought 'opus' meant a complete composition

that's exactly why it would be pretentious
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9656 on: January 20, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »

So... apparently SOPA and PIPA got dropped?
Ashkin
« Reply #9657 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:53 PM »

Didn't they get put on 'indefinite hold' because of 'recent events'?

Hm, I wonder why...
We made a difference, folks.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9658 on: January 20, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »

CELEBRATORY BROFIST AROUND THE WORLD

Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley Bro Fist RightBro Fist Left Smiley
Bandages
« Reply #9659 on: January 20, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »

Lips Sealed
 Hand Shake Right

SOPA SOPA SOPA
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic