Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:47:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)[Pixel Art] Graduating from MS Paint
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Pixel Art] Graduating from MS Paint  (Read 1264 times)
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »

Hi guys, I'm a programmer, be gentle!

Long time user of MS Paint, it ain't fancy but it gets the job done. Sure is easy to twiddle pixels. Unfortunately the modern versions of it seem to be moving away from treating the pixel as a first class citizen, in that it's more onerous to draw lines and such. In any case, something with a tiny bit more power behind it wouldn't go wrong. I'm comfortable with GIMP for "softer" artwork but it doesn't address that need to address each pixel with loving care..

I have no clue what other options are out there. What are y'all using for your labor-intensive pixel work?

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »

I've been enjoying PyxelEdit a great deal! I haven't used any of the animation features, but for tilesets, it's been great. Especially being able to mockup a fake "level", draw on it, and seeing how tile changes affect everything.

Magurp244
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:09:29 PM »

Aye, the select tool in the new MSPaint is also a pain not to mention all the AA. Still prefer the WinXP version, though I really don't understand what MS was thinking.  Anyway, there are a few options floating around, Graphics Gale, aseprite, Paint.Net, mtPaint, or even something like Hexels 2. There's a list of tools over here.
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:49:49 AM »

Wow, aseprite looks pretty dope! I'll have to give PyxelEdit a shot too. For nine bucks, I mean there's cheezburgers that cost more'n that.

Thanks guys!

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:13:26 AM »

I've only tested aseprite and photoshop for pixel art and aseprite does the job quite well, specially how it handles animation. Exporting from it to spritesheets is pretty neat as well.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic