Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:59:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPlatformania, an online sidescroller game with build-in level editor
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platformania, an online sidescroller game with build-in level editor  (Read 812 times)
Platformania
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:24:56 AM »

Platformania
Platformania is a free online platform where you can make your own sidescroller levels and share them with your friends! I made it because I love Mario Maker, I love classic platformers like Super Mario Bros and Commander Keen, and I had a lot of spare time!

Website | Screenshot 1: having fun desiging parallax backgrounds | Screenshot 2: new tiles

I would love to hear your feedback, both on the game itself, but even more on the level editor. It is super hard to get something so complex as a level editor, and make it simple enough for everyone to understand. I can't wait to hear what you guys think!

Play Platformania right in your browser!
We Are Bots
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:23:45 AM »

Hello !

I do not usually play platforms games. So I am a real beginner. Initially i had to struggle with controls to understand the CTRL key is connected to the command "Fire". I didnt had the time to read the hint at the beginning of the level 1.

Once I understood that, i found group of turtles almost impossible to pass without luck. I was lucky but it's a little bit frustrating.
I had a little trouble to properly control the jumps of the character. It is not for nothing that developers have worked hundreds of hours to develop the jumping of Mario.

About the graphic part I find it visually attractive and consistent with nice sprites animations and a beautiful parallax background.

Everything works fine (except few collision issue with some platforms)* and I really like the artistic direction. The sound effects are good even if the volume is too high. A little background music to integrate in the future?

Best regards.

(sorry for my english, i'm not fluent at all)

Platformania
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 06:44:19 AM »

Hi! Thanks for trying it out! First of all I'd like to say that there is no 'level 1', there is no real order in which to play the levels. They are simply sorted on the frontpage based on popularity.

Some players like to CTRL = FIRE control scheme, and others like SPACE = FIRE, but you can switch that in the control bar when you hover the game with your mouse.

The goal is not to emulate the physics and jumps of Mario, but I can understand that it is a bit frustrating to get used to. I agree that having great controls is paramount for a platforming game, and it is actually one of the things that took me the most time to tweak it just right.

Thanks for the other feedback, I am glad that you like the graphics, and sounds!

Hello !

I do not usually play platforms games. So I am a real beginner. Initially i had to struggle with controls to understand the CTRL key is connected to the command "Fire". I didnt had the time to read the hint at the beginning of the level 1.

Once I understood that, i found group of turtles almost impossible to pass without luck. I was lucky but it's a little bit frustrating.
I had a little trouble to properly control the jumps of the character. It is not for nothing that developers have worked hundreds of hours to develop the jumping of Mario.

About the graphic part I find it visually attractive and consistent with nice sprites animations and a beautiful parallax background.

Everything works fine (except few collision issue with some platforms)* and I really like the artistic direction. The sound effects are good even if the volume is too high. A little background music to integrate in the future?

Best regards.

(sorry for my english, i'm not fluent at all)

ditgames
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:23:24 PM »

Honestly, i love it! How long did it take to make it?
Platformania
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:22:24 AM »

Honestly, i love it! How long did it take to make it?

Thanks, I'm glad you love it! It took me about a year to make, and I'm still working on it daily. You can follow what's happening at the Platformania blog!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic