Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:21:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWASD + Mouse Run&Gun platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WASD + Mouse Run&Gun platformer  (Read 1488 times)
dao cowboy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »

I came up with this idea awhile ago, and I'm unlikely to pursue it, so I thought I'd release it into the wild in case anyone thought it wasn't bad.

Basically, think Contra or Metal Slug.  WASD controls running left/right, jumping, and ducking (or going prone).  The mouse controls a targeting cursor.  Mouseclicks fire the gun.  A ray drawn from the player character to the current position of the cursor determines what angle the gun fires at.  Facing is determined by whether the player is running towards or away from the cursor.  Positioning the targeting cursor close to the player character and clicking throws a grenade.

I have books for sale on Amazon.  Search for "Peter van de Welde."
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »

I've played dozens of games like this.. this isn't a novel control scheme. The WASD+Mouse platformer isn't anything new.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »

a bit late, they did that in 1995.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:25:13 PM »

anyone remember soldat? that game was fun as fuck.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 05:51:11 AM »

anyone remember soldat? that game was fun as fuck.

Yes!

Bauxite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 05:32:37 AM »

Word of warning here, if you want the game to support gamepads as well, you'll have two control schemes where one of them is vastly more accurate than the other (mouse versus analog stick). As many people expect games to have gamepad support, this might be a difficult design problem in your levels. I'd say it's one of the main disadvantages of the control scheme, and it might be a better idea to just have WASD for walking and arrow keys for aiming, like in some old school platformers.

▶  Current project: The Zipper (Devblog)  ◀
Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »

I think DeadBolt made a really good use of that scheme:

Also Soldat still exists, but the player base is a bit too small and everyone is just so good at it already its hard for newcomers to get into it.

Im currently developing a game with a similar scheme and while mouse aim is quite easy to implement I must say smoothing the analog input from a controller is a pain in the butt... But still the difference between both schemes is quite contrasting, WASD is not better than analog movement but that hardly matters when the mouse is SOO PRECISE, you really need to choose only one input if youre going for PvP, otherwise aiming help is enough for both inputs to coexists (For example Enter The Gungeon) and depending on your game using a controller could actually be the best choice (see Hyper Light Drifter, which uses the same principle even tough the perspective is different).
dao cowboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:13:29 AM »

I guess I don't play enough games.  All of my ideas have already been done. Cheesy

I have books for sale on Amazon.  Search for "Peter van de Welde."
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »

I guess I don't play enough games.  All of my ideas have already been done. Cheesy

I really thought this was a troll account when you posted this thread. Maybe check the Player section for some games to try.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 07:04:03 AM »

there is no new idea unless go talk with GOD about some

CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 06:19:03 AM »

All the ideas have already been done, man. Everything is a remix of a remix of a remix.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »

Just because an idea has already been done doesn't mean you can't do it better or do it in a way that makes it feel fresh and new again.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic