Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:52:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingZiggy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ziggy  (Read 365 times)
wyattwarlock
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »

I made this game for a One Button Jam that ended a few days ago.

Play as Ziggy, an impersonal line who can only move to the right. There are 8 whole stages.

It's very basic, but I had had fun with it while playtesting. Most of the people I showed it to in person seemed to enjoy it but I don't feel like I got any impartial feedback on it (Nobody participating in the Jam ended up commenting on it). So now i'm trying to decide if I should pretty it up, smooth out the difficulty curve and make it a more substantial game, or just call it done.

I'm mainly looking for design feedback, and whether or not you think the core mechanic is fun/substantive enough for a longer game, but if you want to give general feedback as well that'd be great.

Also, please mention if playing gives you eyestrain, and if you're aware of any games that are really similar to this one.

Thanks guys.

Download Here:
https://wyattwarlock.itch.io/ziggy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Screenshots:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:49:12 PM by wyattwarlock » Logged
Fincks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:33:14 PM »

Hi!

I played a bit, until stage 5 or 6 I think, here is my feedback :

Add a pause menu, in a game like this, taking a break really is important, especially when I'm in a bad rythm and end up dead again and again. I would have played longer if the option was available.
The death sound is too agressive, I sometimes died like 10 times in 20sec at the beginning of a level, it quickly becomes annoying.

I didn't have any problem with my eyes.

Letting the music continue even if I'm dead is a really good choice, it keeps me in the game.

The game is fun but the feeling is a bit frustrating. When I press "v", the change of direction seems too sudden. Hmm I don't know, I would say the sensation of the main mechanic doesn't "feel" fun.

I don't have a lot of feedback, I'm not a game designer so I can't help much.
hopeabandoner
Level 0

weeb trash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 05:23:50 PM »

I like the concept, even with it being a one-button game. It reminds me a lot of those games where you are a helicopter trying not to hit the ceiling or floor. The difficulty is often determined by how you time your button presses, which is neat. It's a simple, to-the-point game and I like that.
My only issues are that the death sound, as stated above, is a little too aggressive and a bit on the loud side, and the window doesn't quite fit my screen vertically, but that's not really an issue at all since I can still play the game just fine.

But overall, it's a good time-killer and a bit of a challenge.  Smiley

Edit: I also noticed the colors were a little... I guess "bland" for lack of a better word. The lines don't really pop out as much as they probably should. Maybe make the lines a pixel or two thicker? Or the background a little bit darker? I didn't have any eye-strain but the obstacles were a little hard to notice at times.

Project Interstellar - A spacecraft building game!
wyattwarlock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »

@Fincks I agree about the pause. I was thinking about making the player have to ready to play again after each died, but never got around to it.

@hopeabandoner Were you playing on a laptop? One of the things I noticed when I watched someone play on a laptop was that the game was too tall for the screen and the obstacle lines were disappearing. I'll try to add some screen resolution options and see if that fixes anything.

Also I'll try to tone down the death sound. Didn't realize it was that much.

Thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic