Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:39:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Novice wants to program game in Python, where do I start first?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Novice wants to program game in Python, where do I start first?  (Read 554 times)
Vitta
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »

Currently, I am learning a Python language - and at the same time, I am interested in game development. And I thought it would be a great idea to unite these two learning paths into one. Yes, I know, Python is not the greatest, but I just want to build pretty basic game that I designed to see if this thing is for me - programming and game development.

It is quick paced shooting platformer for two players with one single arena as a battleground where two players have to collect points and block the opponent from doing so. I would love to do it in 3D but I dont know if is possible for me (as a beginner) and especially if its possible for Python - would like to know your opinion....

I was looking for a while on the internet for the resources and methods how to build a game and I have found myself little confused with all the engines, frameworks, modules.

People mostly talk about:

PyCharm (as an IDE)

Pygame (as an module)

Panda 3D (as a game engine)

Blender (as a game engine)

CoCos2D (as a framework)

VPython (as a module)

PyOpenGL (as an OpenGL)

PyOgre (as an libary)

My question is: Could you please briefly tell me whats the difference between all of these items and how they are interconnected?

What do I need first? Second? For what use is that and that? What I dont neceserally need?

Or better, you dont have to tell me, just give me some comprehensome documentation where all of this is explained and I am good...

Also I should note that I havent yet finished my basic programming lessons in Python so I am not that skilled in it yet... Should I first finish learning general programming and than jump in to that game as my first bigger project? Because I see that I need to have strongly grasped basics to move to this fancy stuff...

Thank you for all of your responses good folks of the internet, I value every single opinion and an advice.
eka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:38:13 AM »

Well that's too much to cover.

But you could start reading a book about it... there are some on the topic, maybe this one will help you:

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Games-Python-Pygame-Sweigart/dp/1469901730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472143011&sr=8-1&keywords=games+in+python
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic