Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412112 Posts in 69453 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdamech

June 28, 2024, 06:14:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThis Old World || Open-World Survival (Looking for Feedback <3)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: This Old World || Open-World Survival (Looking for Feedback <3)  (Read 777 times)
mariboj
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:45:04 PM »

Hey there,

My name's Matt and recently, my friend, Michael, and I (Likha Studios) have been working on This Old World (Working Title) an open-world survival game from scratch in Java. After two weeks, we have the very rudementary level editor, simple physics, object rendering, and basic animations. We'd like to know what you all think  Smiley

About the Game
We plan on making a full open world survival game with some plot elements and win conditions. However, the focus of the gameplay will just be doing whatever you like and exploring the world around you.

Current Features
  • Level Editor - tiles, objects, doors to buildings
  • Inventory - picking up objects and switching weapons
  • Player Physics - needs to be worked on, but a decent start
  • Swimming - the player can go into water and the animation changes
  • Simple Gathering - trees can be chopped down

Things to be Added Soon
  • Combat - different enemies with attack patterns and AI
  • Crafting - a simple crafting system, probably like 7 Days to Die or Starbound
  • More Objects - make the world feel more alive
  • Optimization - we're always working to make the game run smoothly

Feedback?
If you have any feedback, good or bad, leave a comment Smiley Also, follow us on Twitter for more frequent updates!

Thanks for your time,
Matt

Level Editor!!

The animations change depending on the object being held

Swimming!!

Smooth transition when going inside

Mckenon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:48 PM »

That's some serious progress for only two weeks time!

Can't wait to see where this goes, following. Wink
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »

^ Like he said, heck of a start. I like the look/proportions on the character art.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
mariboj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:46:37 AM »

That's some serious progress for only two weeks time!

Can't wait to see where this goes, following. Wink
^ Like he said, heck of a start. I like the look/proportions on the character art.

Thanks guys! Hope you continue to enjoy this little project we're making. We don't know how much progress we can make in the next few months will school and all  Lips Sealed, but we'll be trying our best! Now onto this weeks update.

Hey everyone,

We decided to try to update this devlog every Sunday, if we have some new cool stuff to share. Luckily, this Sunday we do  Smiley

First we added character customization - the colors of the skin, eyes, hair, shirt, pants, and shoes can be changed and selected from a pool of currently about 20 colors, giving thousands of potential combinations. Also with player rendering, we separated the upper-body and lower-body animations so now you can perform actions while moving.

Tons of different color combinations || Action and movement animations can now be played at the same time. 

We also added some basic combat, we just used a cute little ghost with basic AI that is slightly transparent to test out the mechanics. We ran into some trouble figuring out attack ranges, but we figured it out by storing item info in a text file.

For now the combat system is very simple - check the direction of the player, see if any mobs in that direction are within the attack radius, then hit the mob, which knocks them back. When a mob is hit, there is visual feedback (flashes light red and white for a fraction of a second) and a small knock-back effect. There's also a little death animation which is just a fade out and move vertically.

Thanks for your time! And as always, leave any thoughts below!

TheFundamentalDelta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »

I think you ought to redesign your art style. There's no pizazz to yours right now, it seems flat and kind of dull. The animations are pretty bad as well. Right now the only thing I can gleam about the game form a screenshot is that, well it's a game. I can't tell if the world is Tolkien-esque or cartoony. A LOT of inspiration, at least for me comes from creating art, it helps me hone down the feel of the game, so start off with that before the programming stuff.
mariboj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 12:16:43 PM »

I think you ought to redesign your art style. There's no pizazz to yours right now, it seems flat and kind of dull. The animations are pretty bad as well. Right now the only thing I can gleam about the game form a screenshot is that, well it's a game. I can't tell if the world is Tolkien-esque or cartoony. A LOT of inspiration, at least for me comes from creating art, it helps me hone down the feel of the game, so start off with that before the programming stuff.

Yeah, we definitely agree. Most of the art is more placeholder art since we are both students, who just started out making games and wanted to make sure this project was fun to play before we made it look prettier. But thanks for the critique, the art will definitely change as we continue.
fentlewoodlewix
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 01:02:24 PM »

Wow, you've done great for two weeks work.
The editor integrated into the game looks really interesting.

Did you read this article on gamasutra?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132147/the_art_of_braid_creating_a_.php
It shows how braid's graphics evolved over the development of the game.

A naive style can be an asset if its distinctive. Many people are super fond of seiklus by clysm.
http://www.autofish.net/clysm/art/video_games/seiklus/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic