Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:27:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSilent But Deadly - Top-down stealth/shooter
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Silent But Deadly - Top-down stealth/shooter  (Read 18350 times)
Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »

Claymores have been added. They're another explosive item, but rather than throwing them, they are placed in front of the user. Once placed, they will explode if motion is detected within their blast zone, which includes the player, even if they had placed it. They will also explode if a body is thrown into their way, as well.

While holding a claymore, you will see a transparent indicator in front of the player, showing exactly where it will be placed, and whether not it can actually be placed there.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »

Uh, claymores? The only claymores I know of are 15th/16th century two-handed swords!
Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2017, 02:07:18 AM »

Uh, claymores? The only claymores I know of are 15th/16th century two-handed swords!

Good point. Claymore mines, then.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »

Remote mines have been added. Like the claymore mines, these are placed in front of the user, with an indicator showing where it will be placed. The special thing about these, though, is that they will explode on command, making all active mines detonate with just the (double) press of a button.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2017, 10:21:25 AM »

I've made some small tweaks to the explosive items.

First, mines can now be reclaimed after having been placed. Before now, once the mines were placed, there was no moving them, but now, if the mine was yours, then you can pick it back up and reposition it. The claymores will still explode on you if you trigger their motion sensor, though, so you will want to do it from behind, with those.

Finally, grenades will now bounce off of people, but will only retain a small amount of velocity, so that they stay within that area, regardless of how far it was initially thrown. This is, I believe, an overall improvement, but is primarily done for controller support, due to how the game's aiming works with them. Since the cursor is always a set distance away from the player, with the right stick simply controlling the player's direction, players are unable to move the cursor into precise positions, in order to control where the grenades will land. With this change, though, when you throw a grenade while using a controller, it will always travel to the end of the screen, in whichever direction you're throwing it, but will now stop if you throw it directly to an enemy, which allows you to target them, despite not actually being able to directly control the grenade's velocity.

Note: The demonstration was done with mouse and keyboard, but the concept is the same for controllers, in that the grenades would have been traveling to the edges of the screen, had they not been blocked by the enemies.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2017, 11:02:08 AM »

With this change, though, when you throw a grenade while using a controller, it will always travel to the end of the screen, in whichever direction you're throwing it, but will now stop if you throw it directly to an enemy, which allows you to target them, despite not actually being able to directly control the grenade's velocity.

That's a really neat solution, props for figuring this all out! Judging by the gif it really works Smiley
Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

With this change, though, when you throw a grenade while using a controller, it will always travel to the end of the screen, in whichever direction you're throwing it, but will now stop if you throw it directly to an enemy, which allows you to target them, despite not actually being able to directly control the grenade's velocity.

That's a really neat solution, props for figuring this all out! Judging by the gif it really works Smiley

Thanks, I feel like it would be better to somehow allow actual cursor movement with them, but it just doesn't feel right with controllers. This seems like the best compromise, short of a complete reworking of the controls.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »

I've made some improvements to the depth system. Before now, items would appear above downed bodies, even if the body should have been on top. Originally, that was in order to allow players to always know where items are, even if they're covered up, but in practice, it just looked strange. Instead, I've opted for a more realistic approach, where nothing holds priority over other things, so that everything stacks in the order that they were placed.

Essentially, if you throw a body on top of an item, the item will now be covered, but if you place an item on top of a body, the item will be visible, as you would expect.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »

This is just a small addition to the security console menu, where it now shows which cards you have, and which are missing. The card icons appear in the upper-right of the menu, and will appear slightly transparent if missing,, but opaque once obtained.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »

I've added dialog boxes. By default, the text will gradually fill in, but it can be skipped with the press of a button. It adapts to the user's resolution, so that line breaks are done automatically, rather than manually defined at specific points, and the box's height will adjust to however large it needs to be, in order to fit the message.

The text speed can be adjusted to instant, fast, medium, or slow within the display settings, with the default being set to medium, and as the text fills in, a sound is made for each character, which can be adjusted in the audio settings.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »

I've been experimenting on some visual changes, trying to see what levels would look like if I were to move away from the strict, flat type of top-down perspective, over to something that could offer more depth to rooms. This revolved around how the walls and doors looked, but although I do feel that it was an overall improvement, I found that I didn't actually like the changes, at least in how I had done them, so I've rolled back most things. In this case, I think simplicity is better, but I may have just gotten too used to the game's current look.

Remaining changes:
Windows now have borders, like most other things, which will adapt to any shattered areas.
Windows no longer break clean off; neighboring windows will be jagged towards the broken side.
Light switches and security consoles have been moved onto the walls, and changed just a bit.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2017, 09:43:05 PM »

The game now has the potential to be localized for different languages. Currently, this is only meant to introduce the basic functionality, since the game itself isn't ready to settle on any specific wording, but the important thing is that the ability is there for when the time comes.

Languages can be selected in the display settings, and upon selecting one, menus and dialog adjust accordingly. If a translation exceeds the size of a menu, then it is scaled down to fit within it.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2017, 11:56:57 AM »

As straight-forward as this example appears, there's actually some major gameplay changes going on.

The thing that stands out the most is the fact that you can now see how much damage is being inflicted with each hit. Yellow indicates a normal hit, while red indicates a headshot, which deals double damage. The aim of this is to help give a better idea of how much power each gun packs, while also making it much easier to tell when a shot actually lands. It can be toggled off and on within the display menu.

Next, if you're familiar with the game's mechanics, then you might have noticed that there was no zoom-out while aiming at the last enemy. This has been a long time coming, but more and more, it appears to be for the best that the zoom-out be removed. A barely addressed, yet very important aspect of the game is in how both players and the AI view the levels, with AI vision being very comparable to the player's view, in that rather than having a set visual radius, or anything like that, which may present unfair situations where they can see/shoot you before you are even aware of them, they instead view their surroundings within the same rectangular limits as a player looking at their monitor, with themselves in the center. With only the additional limitation of not being able to see past walls, this essentially makes players and the AI relatively evenly matched in that sense, where the AI will never unfairly spot you. If they see you, then you can also see them.

Up until now, that has always typically been the case, except when it came to aiming. Even with the AI, aiming would improve their view, but it really varied by gun, giving whoever had the better gun a big advantage, and potentially breaking that "fairness" rule. In order to simplify this issue, as well as others, I think completely removing the zoom-out is the best way to go. The sniper rifle will need to be adjusted, but otherwise, it is for the best.

Finally, in order to balance out the hit that aiming takes with this change, I've made it to where headshots can only be achieved if the player was aiming when the shot was fired, meaning that even though aiming no longer improves your view, it is now the only way to earn potential double damage from a shot. This wasn't done just to force a purpose for aiming, though, but to actually balance headshots in general, because they were far too easy to land, even while dual-wielding. Now, you can choose between a damage boost from headshots, or raw damage from twice the fire-power, but not both... that's just too much.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »

Certain items will now display some information when the player is focusing on them. Guns show their current and maximum bullet count, whereas riot shields and bullet-proof vests show their durability.

This is meant to make it easier to know what exactly you're getting into when you're picking an item up, so that you no longer pick up a gun only to find that it has no bullets, or that your new riot shield is only one hit away from breaking.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2017, 04:44:46 AM »

In order to provide more information to players, I've replaced the old bullet-time meter. The replacement can now show additional things, like health, bullet-proof vest durability, riot shield durability, and grenade fuses.

I've also expanded damage indicators to work with breakable things like sentry guns, security cameras, and light switches, so that it is easier to know when hits are landed onto them, as well. However, these indicators are light-blue rather than the normal yellow.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2017, 05:24:29 AM »

This gets better and better!
Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »

This gets better and better!

Thanks, it's definitely a big improvement to the huge bullet-time meter. It looks out of place with the ammo and inventory displays, but I'll be changing those next, as well. In the end, they should all be pretty consistent to each other.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2017, 09:26:54 AM »

Ammo is now displayed in the upper-right corner of the screen, finally providing a way to always know how much ammo you have for all guns. An icon will turn yellow if you're holding a gun of that type, in order to indicate that it is in use.

Hollow-Headed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »

The bullet count display has been updated with a more consistent style to the rest of the HUD, and a dual-wielding icon will now appear at the bottom-center of the screen while in dual-wielding mode, in order to provide a simple way to determine which mode you're in.

While holding any guns, you will see their bullet count and bullet capacity, as well as their reloading progress, which has been moved down there, now popping up in a set location, rather than following the cursor around.

Jin Zakk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2017, 05:00:29 AM »

Here's something I've been curious about, as you've said before the inspiration for Silent But Deadly was Hotline Miami. However when I look at this game it seems to pace itself slower than Hotline Miami, What do you think that pace change offers you in terms of game development and in game play?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic