Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411479 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58425 Members - Latest Member: solpreston

April 23, 2024, 08:49:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTree Man
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tree Man  (Read 2069 times)
Tenderfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »

Hey guys,

I've started working on a project I'm calling "Tree Man":

The basic idea is an adventure game with real time party combat. During the main game sections you'd just be walking around as tree man; but when combat would come around you'd need to unleash your party members (which all have different combat roles [tank,healer,etc..]).

I'm also thinking of throwing in cinematic story sections that play out in 2D platform style, similar to "pathways" (I'll ask him and give him credit for the idea).

The picture above was a concept done in Flash, using art from opengameart.org, specifically "2D Circle Graphic Archive" art by Daniel Cook (Lostgarden.com).

I already have a small build that shows a small 16x16 map with some trees on it that looks virtually identical to the picture above. The game is in C++ using GLUT (OpenGL Utility Toolkit).

Here's a concept of the main characters in the game:

Keep in mind I'm not an artist, just a programmer. Hence the stick legs. If the project gets far enough along I'll probably go out in search of someone who'd like to pretty it up.

I really want to know what you think. Is it going to be terrible? Does it look fun?
it_is_coming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »

Going just from that screenshot, it looks really bland. Especially the health/energy bar things. I assume that they  aren't final.

The map itself looks poorly laid out and unrealistic but, again, we only have that screenshot to go by. If you'd post more details about gameplay, design, story etc then we could have a more complete impression.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:32:13 AM »

Looks cool, it reminds me of OHRRPGCE games. The graphics are crappy, sure, but they also have a nice charming look to them. And I love the swarm of dinosaurs in your screenshot.

Fuzz
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:43:33 AM »

This game looks amazing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic