Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:14:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceDweller [Turn Based Tactical Sci-Fi Game]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: SpaceDweller [Turn Based Tactical Sci-Fi Game]  (Read 10328 times)
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2016, 02:08:47 AM »

Hi, i am developer of Amaranthine and i am excited to present you my new game! SpaceDweller - is a turn based game inspired by "Faster than Light", "Hearthstone" and "Darkest Dungeon". In SpaceDweller you must destroy enemy flagships. You can do this by summoning friendly spaceships (satellites) on the battlefield and by using your flagship combat modules.

Combat System
On the battlefield you have a flagship with combat modules and satellites that protects your ship and do the most damage. Your opponent has the same. Satellites have different stats (HP, SHIELD, CRIT CHANCE, etc.) and different modifiers. Your flagship
have prebuilt special module that can summon additional satellites from warp. Each enemy flagship have their own special modules that will in some way distract the player from him. Each battle will be unique. Every time you enter a battle you will need to adjust your tactic to the enemy set of modules/special modules/satellites/satellites modifiers.

Satellites, Modules and Inventory system
Satellites are like unit cards in Hearthstone. But unlike Hearthstone they are generated randomly.
The formula of satellites generation:
satellite = base stats + modifier.
Base stats: Damage, Armor, Mod Power, Evasion, Accuracy, Crit Chance, Crit Resist, Shield, Speed.

Modules acts like spells in hearthstone, but they dont require mana or energy. Everything is bound to cooldowns.
A few examples of modules:
Dispel - Remove modifier from satellite
Dominion - Take control over an enemy satellite
Hotfix - Restore 4 armor to your flagship

You have inventory with capacity of 50 items (can be changed). You can store your satellites and modules there. To use them in battle you must add them to your current stack (see the image below). Maximum capacity for current stack is 4 modules and 4 satellites.

Upgrade System
At the start of the game you will have a few basic modules and satellites. After defeating an enemy you will recieve a new random satellite, module and some amount of credits. With credits you can maximize your flagship armor/shield. Also you must repair and refuel your ship constantly. Satellites/modules levels can be raised with catalyzers that you can find on the map.

Levels
Each level represents a 15x10 grid filled with FTL beacons. When you travel to the beacon you can encounter various types of signals. It can be enemy, repair station, fuel station, ally ship, etc. Each level is generated randomly. Your goal is to travel from your entry point to transport relay (that will transfer you to the next level). At the end you will need to destroy the final boss.

Storytelling
The story is pretty simple. Your star sector was attacked and captured by enemy (empire). The allied forces (Federation) cannot send their help through warp because empire have some kind of "warp jammer". This device prevents large ships travelling through warp. The FTL technology is still available though (thats how you will travel between systems). Your mission is to find this device and destroy it. There will be opening and ending cutscenes. All other information will be recieved through collectible logs. The game plot will be connected with Amaranthine.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:23:16 PM by EvansBlack » Logged

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:24:32 AM »

Art for the ships is really neat.

cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:43:32 AM »

Thats a cool looking game, it will be interesting to see how well it plays! Smiley

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »

Art for the ships is really neat.
Thats a cool looking game, it will be interesting to see how well it plays! Smiley

Thanks))

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:11:35 AM »

Animation for player flagship.

dorobo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »

cute pixelart

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 06:55:42 AM »

It looks quite promising. Would be happy to see more of it!

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »

Added animation for enemy flagship and satellites.
Added explosion effect and screen shake for satellites.
Added particle effects for modules. Now when you select module you will see highlited ships that can be targeted with it.

I am also thinking about making satellites explode into parts when they are destroyed (like in FTL). Although it will take a lot of time...

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »

New modules:

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:49:42 AM »

That feel when you making game and you think that it kind of original but then this comes out http://store.steampowered.com/app/371200. Now my game looks like a cheap copy of Halcyon 6 Sad. Atleast i think so... And now when the bar has been raised (i mean my imaginary bar) i need to work very very hard to make my game worthy.

Anyway here is my progress. I added 4 new modules and fixed some bugs. Also i added popup numbers for damage and heal.

EyeSeeEm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:49 AM »

That looks really great! I love the graphics style and the clean UI.

3030 DEATHWAR REDUX
The Space Adventure the 80s never made
TigBlog

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »

Looks realy nice!
Reminds me a bit of http://playhalcyon6.com/

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 03:14:50 AM »

New changes in SpaceDweller:

- there is no energy now. You can summon 1 satellite at the turn and use modules when they are charged
- satellites now have much more stats: Damage, Armor, Mod Power, Evasion, Accuracy, Crit Chance, Crit Resist
- each satellite will have unique stat profile
- ui changes
- new modules
- new satellite (picture related)

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 02:31:50 AM »

I dont like to praise myself but...damn this explosion looks good )))

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 07:01:09 AM »

I dont like to praise myself but...damn this explosion looks good )))

Yeah it does! Just keep making your game - it's looking great - and don't worry too much about Halcyon, or other games. If it pushes your game to be better and more polished, then that's great, but don't throw out your design concept over it, that's all I'm saying.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 07:37:22 AM »

First SpaceDweller demo is ready!
You can download it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_206mVfeQ-8TlN3R3JVaVltQlk/view
You can leave your feedback here or send me an email [email protected]

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 11:15:39 PM »

Its fun. I like the tactical approach and especially the feeling that i have a mothership with smaller cannonfodder around.
Some thoughts:
  • It's not clear to me how much actions i have and how much they cost in each turn
  • The cooldown of the actions could also per more clear (i now it shows but when can i use which?

Goiod job so far!

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 03:24:21 AM »

• It's not clear to me how much actions i have and how much they cost in each turn
  • The cooldown of the actions could also per more clear (i now it shows but when can i use which?

Satellites have 1 action per turn so as modules. But modules also have cooldowns. Anyway thanks for feedback! I will definitely do something about that.

badrobit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:34 AM »

Your game looks awesome! Out of curiosity what are you using to make it?
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 08:05:36 PM »

Your game looks awesome! Out of curiosity what are you using to make it?
Thanks! Im using GameMaker Studio.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic