Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:09:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceDweller [Turn Based Tactical Sci-Fi Game]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: SpaceDweller [Turn Based Tactical Sci-Fi Game]  (Read 10240 times)
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 03:39:21 AM »

New enemy flagship

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 03:04:16 AM »

Currently im working on mission system. This is the first version of signal scanner. When you arrive in the new system there will be several undefined signals with coordinates. You can travel between them and discover what they are. The signal can be an enemy, repair bay, fuel station or anything else. Also there will be hunters. Hunter is a very deadly enemy, you will want to avoid him. But if you encounter him you will be greatly rewarded (i will even make achievement for that). For every usual enemy killed in system new hunters will arrive. So you can not farm one system for too long. Your goal is to find an enemy with intel and destroy him. After that the travel beacon will appear in system.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 03:34:22 AM »

There was an idea that came to my mind a few days ago. I thought that it will be interesting to implement some "indirect" interaction with signals that you will find among the stars. So i have made this prototype. On the right you have terminal where you can type certain commands. Firstly you must identify signal. Then depending on what kind of signal is that another list of available commands will appear on the left side. This mechanic was borrowed from a game called "Duskers". Its a great game i am highly recommend it to everyone who likes games with ineresting mechanics.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 03:30:15 AM »

Updated radar screen with new interface elements.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 02:58:08 AM »

Inventory screen is almost ready!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:10:14 AM by EvansBlack » Logged

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 12:17:43 AM »

Last week i was working on procedural level generation. Its almost ready but i cannot test it yet. The last thing that i need to complete before i can test the main "gameplay loop" is the reward screen after battle. Thats what im working on right now. And i have made some changes to the interface (new font for example). This is how battle screen is looks now:

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »

Hey, the game looks pretty cool! Will you be needing any music for it? If so, you can check out my portfolio here: www.sbeastmusic.com/portfolio

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 08:28:07 AM »

Hey, the game looks pretty cool! Will you be needing any music for it? If so, you can check out my portfolio here: www.sbeastmusic.com/portfolio
No, thanks im making music by myself.
P.s. https://soundcloud.com/sbeast/transmission - its amazing! Some time ago i played Lambda Wars and i remember this track)) Anyway good luck with your composer career!

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 03:19:06 AM »

I have made the reward screen that appears when you defeat your enemy. As you can see on the gif you get 1 module 1 satellite and some credits from loot crate. The interesting thing is that loot generates from the enemy inventory. So if during the battle you saw a strong enemy satellite you can expect that it will be in your loot crate.

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »

...its amazing! Some time ago i played Lambda Wars and i remember this track)) Anyway good luck with your composer career!

Hah no way, it's a small world lol. And thanks, good luck with the game!

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 02:40:15 AM »

Sector map generation and travelling between systems are now online! At first i was thinking that if you need to travel to another system you need to find some kind of transport relay and then type some commands. But i thought that it will be pretty annoying to player. Now all you need to do is type "SECTOR MAP" on your terminal and the map will appear.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 02:31:48 AM »

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 06:44:05 AM »

Surprised this isn't getting more attention.  The idea of FTL + Hearthstone is very intriguing to me since i love both those games.  Very much looking forward to this.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2016, 09:21:30 PM »

Surprised this isn't getting more attention.  The idea of FTL + Hearthstone is very intriguing to me since i love both those games.  Very much looking forward to this.

Thanks. I think my game getting low attention because i am not advertising it properly. The only place that im sharing info of my game is this forum. But soon i will launch website, twitter, indieDB page and then greenlight campaign. Maybe this will help Undecided

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 12:17:07 AM »

Hi Evans, i followed your Amaranthine devlog, and i'm quite happy to see that you're making a new game! What amazes me is how quickly you make everything. However, i think you can make much better results in terms of reach and sales by taking your time to tease the audience a bit via social networks and websites, making some texts with explanations about how things in the game work and similar, you know, get people involved in a way. Gamasutra has some nice articles on those. All that marketing stuff can sometimes horrible to manage, but hey, it's the business part of developing games, so it should be treated like that, professionally.

I have to be honest and i hope you'll appreciate that, i'm not one of those WOW ALL'S GREAT guys. One thing i don't like is that you miss that final touch of polish to make it truly outstanding. The thing that stinged my eyes in both Amaranthine and here is the mixture of pixel art, full color gradients and default looking particles, i really think it would look two times better if all was done in full pixel art, using custom pixel art for particles and posterising the gradients to meld better with the rest of the art. I see you're pretty good at it, so why not give it a shot?

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 01:21:27 AM »

What amazes me is how quickly you make everything.
Power of Gamemaker Studio))

making some texts with explanations about how things in the game work and similar, you know, get people involved in a way.
Im trying to keep my posts as short as possible because English is not my native language. Im scared of making grammar and syntax mistakes. People will think that i am either stupid or ignorant or something worse. That may damage my game's reputation. Maybe not. Maybe its all in my head)). "explanations about how things in the game work" - what do you mean by this? You mean i must write about technical stuff (like for this feauture i used 2d array blablabla) or what?

i really think it would look two times better if all was done in full pixel art, using custom pixel art for particles and posterising the gradients to meld better with the rest of the art. I see you're pretty good at it, so why not give it a shot?
Ughhh... I tried. I tried to do this in Amaranthine - didnt work out. Same shit with SpaceDweller. For some reason i just can not make good looking pixel explosions. It looks much better with Gamemaker particles.

And thank you for your reply! I like to read constructive criticism.

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 01:57:58 AM »

Hey Evans,

thanks for taking the criticism the right way, just tapping on the back takes you nowhere.

Hate to say it, but spare some money and pay a pixel artist, you can get them anywhere for 25-50 bucks an hour, but they can do wonders for your game and you can learn a lot and eventually replicate the things they've done.

Don't worry about your language, i think everyone will respect you regarding your game is good, they may even find it cute!

As for explanations, i though explaining how the game works, like in your first post, but you put it on a website with pictures and videos to make it more clear. Technical stuff is also cool, you would be surprised how many people like to read about it, and everyone likes free things and tutorials.

Cheers!

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 11:37:59 PM »

Technical stuff this time.

Last couple of days i have been busy with procedural generation problems. First of all let explain how is my procedural generation works. First step is sector map generation. In my game i have 16 systems with different names and threat levels (difficulties). So i created 2 lists (data structure in GameMaker) to store these names and levels. Then with a "for" loop i created an array that randomly takes values from these lists until the lists are empty. Also within each iteration i added positions that defines types and quantity of signals in particular system:

The second step is to generate signals. General signal info like their type and coordinate is stored in array called "signals":

Now comes the main problem. Where and how to store additional info of a particular signal in a particular system. Some of these signals have a LOT of information to store. For example enemy flagships contains info about modules and satellites that they have in their arsenal. It is pretty massive data. Of course i can just create a HUGE array and store everything in it. But it will be very painful to retrieve information from there. So i solved this problem (at least i think i did) with a random_set_seed and random_get_seed functions. Before the new signal is generated, the seed is randomized and then stored in "signals" array. And when you entering already visited system, signals will be recreated with the same algorythm and seed as before, so their "random" generation will be the same.

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 01:01:35 AM »

That's quite a neat way to do it. Also enables the players to play the exact same game when they want it. For example, they find it challenging, failed, and want to try it again. Been trying to wrap my head around it in Unity for my game, but ended up with arrays after all, i hope it's not going to impact performance a lot  Lips Sealed

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 02:55:26 AM »

This week i have been playing my game and catching/fixing bugs and correcting balance. Currently i am working on two things: sprite for a new enemy flagship (picrelated) and a trailer. I've almost forgot how i hate Sony Vegas. 2 crashes in 30 minutes god dammit. I think i need to search some alternatives. I heard Lightworks is good and also free. When the trailer will be finished im planning to launch greenlight campaign.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic