Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:49:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceDweller [Turn Based Tactical Sci-Fi Game]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: SpaceDweller [Turn Based Tactical Sci-Fi Game]  (Read 10241 times)
EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 02:57:18 AM »

I finished working on a new type of enemy called "Hunter". Sprite and animation is ready, code implementations completed. But still need to add a new combat module. Every enemy flagship in game have a random set of modules. But hunter will have only offense modules. Next week i will add a combat module that can deal huge damage to an enemy flagship (cant hit satellites though). And then i will add it to a hunter module stack.
Why did i add hunters in game? What are their purpose in meaning of gameplay? - When you find an unidentified signal you have two options: either engage it blindly, or scan it first (costs credits). In a first case you just playing a russian roulette - you can engage repair station, or you can find a tough enemy that will kick your ass. Hunter is that enemy. Hunter is the reason why you need to be carefull while dealing with unknown signals.

About the trailer. I dropped Sony Vegas and started to make the trailer for SpaceDweller in programm called Davinchi Resolve. So far i like it. At least i had zero crasher for 2 or 3 hours of work. Smiley

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 05:19:41 AM »

SpaceDweller is now LIVE on Steam Greenlight!!!
Gomez Gomez Gomez

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:24:57 AM by EvansBlack » Logged

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2017, 05:55:54 AM »

Upvoted!  Hand Any Key

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2017, 06:03:37 AM »

Upvoted!  Hand Any Key
Thaaanks))

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 06:21:16 AM »

Hey Evans,

how comes it's on greenlight but it's at 40%? Are you putting it up for early access, or you didn't update the progress? Smiley

I'm quite interested how it works, i'd like to start selling the game with endless mode complete to get some funds back before i put it out of early access with story mode.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 06:46:24 AM »

Hey Evans,

how comes it's on greenlight but it's at 40%? Are you putting it up for early access, or you didn't update the progress? Smiley

I'm quite interested how it works, i'd like to start selling the game with endless mode complete to get some funds back before i put it out of early access with story mode.
No im not putting my game on early access. I have an alpha build with no sound effects, and lot of stuff i need to do. Thats why im keeping it 40%. I dont really know what feedback i will get from testers. Maybe i will remake the whole game)) I started greenlight just to gain access to steamworks to start alpha-testing.

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »

Is there a way for people to play the game via steam before it is on early access or actually released or do you plan to make a demo available via website or something? Steam's faq's are quite poor on those matters.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »

Is there a way for people to play the game via steam before it is on early access or actually released or do you plan to make a demo available via website or something? Steam's faq's are quite poor on those matters.
When your game passes greenlight you gain access to steam api. From that point you can generate license keys, as much as you want. You give these keys to people you want (for example testers) and they can play it even the game has not been released (no matter early access or full release). That's what im trying to do, because it is much easier way to distribute your game to your testers (at least i think so...). No zip files in skype))) You just upload new build and people are testing it.

And for the record...If someday you will need testers for your game - you can count on me))

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »

Of course!  Hand Joystick

Thanks for the answers, they truly mean a lot to me Smiley

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 03:45:22 AM »

Today i made the save/load system. It was HELL!!! Guys, if you are using GameMaker and you have some data in your game (like inventory) and you want to save/load this data - NEVER USE ARRAYS for storing this kind of data. Use grids, lists or any other data structure. It is because in GameMaker you can easily export/import your whole data structure (grid for ex.) with ONE SINGLE COMMAND ds_grid_write. This will convert all your data to some kind of sequence of chars and numbers that can be imported with ds_grid_read command. You can't do this with arrays. I mean if you have small array it's okay to store it in your savefile "as-is" but im talking about massive data.

So i had these two "HUGH MUNGUS" arrays that i had to save in ini file. And i did this: with for-loop im converting my arrays into grids, then converting these grids into strings and write them down into ini file. Then when i want to load game - importing decoded string from the ini file to grid then transfering all things from grid to array. This is not programming. This is shit. Do not repeat my mistakes!

P.s. Seems like im stuck in "Greenlight limbo" with 200~ yes votes... Undecided

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2017, 11:49:12 PM »

This week i have been adding some sound effects and preparing my game for alpha testing. And now 0.45 build is ready!
I created another topic in playtesting section here where you can download it. I need your feedback guys!

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 12:52:05 AM »

I'll be trying it out at work tomorrow Smiley

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »

You're gonna need the tutorial on this one. First of all, i don't even know how to start the game. I figured out how to use the terminal, and from it go to inventory and travel, but that's it.

Five minutes later: ah, i figured out that you move by using WASD key. You really need a tutorial on that one.

Maximize armor command doesn't work. Spots where you warp your ships in should be bigger and have larger radius detection, i just wanna throw 'em in, not search for the exact spot.

Like in Amaranthine, explosions don't really fit in the whole pixel art concept.

I lost my first battle (hunter) and the game crashed.

############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
at time step50
of time line tl_razer:

Unable to find any instance for object index '1' name 'obj_playerFlagShip'
at Timeline_tl_razer_1
############################################################################################

I think i need a better indication if ship already attacked or not.

I scanned the enemy flagship, but i got nothing except its level and DIVISION. I didn't know what was it until it used it in combat, then i figured it's the module Smiley

The victory crate takes too long to open, you don't get one per day so it needs to build up on anticipation, it gets really boring to wait after you open a few.

Enemy satellites only disappear when i destroy the flagship, no explosion.

Upgrading is not clear enough (only red outline and the absence of number of credits needed for the upgrade). I'd really like to see something like MAX LEVEL.

In the inventory menu, the toolips of the items that are on the bottom go offscreen and are unreadable.

I've got Lark level 2 in my inventory. I also have Lark Level 1, but i can't upgrade it.

Overall, it's too easy (except the first time i played). Since i always play first, i just pop enemy satellites with Spikes and Razers, summon Malta first since it has most HP and keep control until i destroy the flagship.

All the satellite characteristics from mod power to critical resist (except base damage and armor).

I don't know what mod power is.

I didn't really need to sell anything since i have too many credits.

The commands and terminal boxes are repositiong a bit whenever i click any of the WASD key (when i start moving).

When i go in the negative X position, stars no longer appear. Same goes for Y under 1500 (btw, shouldn't Y go in the negative value when i go down?)

I wanted to visit another system, but i couldn't find fuel for a long time. Then i met hunter again, since i couldn't upgrade my armor, he destroyed me pretty fast. Game crashed again.

Shooting needs a bit more oomph, also, i want to be able to give out commands while the current action is executing, i don't really need to wait for the ship to shoot and hit before i give out the command for the next one to fire.

I don't know, maybe a tiled map with populated events would feel better than wandering around using WASD keys.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:30:18 AM by Fat Pug Studio » Logged

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »

WOW! That's what i called feedback! Thank you so much for this! This is very helpfull!  Beer!

You're gonna need the tutorial on this one. First of all, i don't even know how to start the game. I figured out how to use the terminal, and from it go to inventory and travel, but that's it.
My bad. Intended to do that but somehow forgot about it((
Spots where you warp your ships in should be bigger and have larger radius detection, i just wanna throw 'em in, not search for the exact spot.
Agree.
I think i need a better indication if ship already attacked or not.
Someone already told me this. I didnt pay attention. Well. Now i will.
The victory crate takes too long to open
Will fix this.
I've got Lark level 2 in my inventory. I also have Lark Level 1, but i can't upgrade it.
Well, the thing is you can not upgrade satellite's level. Only It's modifier (from normal to advance version)
The commands and terminal boxes are repositiong a bit whenever i click any of the WASD key (when i start moving).
This strange bug keeps haunting me since the start of development))
Shooting needs a bit more oomph
What?  Concerned
I don't know, maybe a tiled map with populated events would feel better than wandering around using WASD keys.
Will think about it.

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 04:16:58 AM »

Shooting needs a bit more oomph
What?  Concerned

I don't feel that i'm fighting with huge spaceships, maybe add some bold laser charging effects and bigger explosions on hit, screen shake effect when flagship is hit, chunks flying off etc.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2017, 02:38:59 AM »

After a long period of silence i'm back with some news. After feedback from testers i decided to make big changes in SpaceDweller. Firstly i changed the battle system. Now all satellites and modules have additional stat - speed. The order that the units will make their actions will be determined by this this stat +- random number. That was a big step from Hearthstone-like battle to Darkest Dungeon-like battle. Secondly i removed radar. Now you dont need move around star systems and search for signals. New system is more similiar to Faster Than Light. Each level represents a 10x10 grid filled with FTL beacons. When you travel from one beacon to another you can find an enemy or repair station or something else. Each travel require fuel. Overall i think these changes will make my game more balanced and intersting. I spent a lot of time working on this, but now i'am finally started to moving forward.

Here is a picture of a repair station where you can repair and upgrade your flagship:

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2017, 03:40:04 AM »

Posting some progress:

- 2 new enemy flagships "FOTON" and "AMPER":

- Added catalyst. With this item player can upgrade satellite/module level
- Added 2nd level and transition scene between them:

- Added new mechanic called "Stealth". When you move from one beacon to another you are raising your visibility to enemy Hunters. If your stealth level will reach zero you won't be able to contact with repair/fuel stations and transport relay (exit to another level) will be surrounded by Hunters.
That will force player to choose between exploring the level and triggering the alarm in system.
- Satellite animation speed increased

Fat Pug Studio
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2017, 04:49:18 AM »

Wow that's great! That radar stuff was really boring, FTL system is a lot better. New ships look dope too.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »

The game has been updated ot 0.5.1 version! There a lot of changes been made. The biggest and the most important one is about combat system. Now each enemy flagship have it's own prebuilt special module that will force you to adjust your tactic against him accordingly. For example the FOTON flagship have module called "Blind Spot". At the start of each round he will debuff your two random satellites. The debuffed satellites will have -60% accuracy when attacking the flagship. So this will force the player to use his "blinded" satellites to fight an enemy satellites not the flagship.

EvansBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2017, 01:40:02 AM »

SpaceDweller 0.6 update!

- New enemy flagship "LYNCH":

- Now when you will ran out of fuel you will be able to call for help (but it will reduce your stealth level). Captain Leslie is a part of your team. She will arrive and refuel your ship:

- Now you can unlock new module slots, refill your energy and maximize it capacity at the service station:

- New module "Alleviate" will heal your satellites:

- Also new sound effects, new music track and a lot of fixes and small improvements.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic