Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:53:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignevolutionary determination of xp rewards
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: evolutionary determination of xp rewards  (Read 661 times)
dao cowboy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »

Here's an idea I was playing with this week.  It would work the best if there were many players connected to some central program.  Since this would require some kind of MMO or, at the least, a successful phone game, I'm not going to be working with it anytime soon.

I was thinking about how difficult it is for designers to determine appropriate rewards in games.  I'm going to talk here about the experience point concept, but it could be applied to any reward.  I thought, what if the designer didn't decree what the rewards are?  Is there some way procgen could be applied to maintain a balanced game?

The idea I came up with was as follows:  Suppose you have an RPG.  There is health in this game, and some method of healing.  You could randomize xp rewards (within a certain threshold) and track the results by determining amount of health lost in combat.  Any encounter where over 150% of health loss would increment the "too hard" counter, indicating the xp reward was too low.  Any encounter where less than 25% of health lost would increment the "too easy" counter.  Eventually you might be able to evolve xp gain that's appropriate to future challenges.

Of course, this would vary by player skill, but I think we could assume a normal distribution of skill.  The real problem would be dealing with grinders, but perhaps there could be a preset or evolving "appropriate combat challenge" window in which this scoring method is applied.

I have books for sale on Amazon.  Search for "Peter van de Welde."
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:56 PM »

"The real problem would be dealing with grinders".. huh?

I think the phrase you're looking for is Dynamic Difficulty

CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »

Yeah, I think a variant of Dynamic Difficulty would work well, maybe not with the difficulty but with the xp given by a certain action.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic