Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:52:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDo you often buy games that you don't complete? Or don't even play once?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Do you often buy games that you don't complete? Or don't even play once?  (Read 2858 times)
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »

I've recently noticed that I have shit ton of games that I haven't beat. Moreover, I even have some games that I even haven't played once.

6 games on DS/3DS
7 PSP games
3 PS Vita Games
4 Wii Games
About 5 PS3 games
2 PS4 games

I kinda feel bad about it. Mostly it's the situation when I see game that is dirt-cheap and I just want to add something to my collection. But still I think that there's something wrong with that. What about you?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

*opens steam, looks at library*

uhhh... uh... of course not!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »

the entire games industry basically relies on people suppressing the realization that as an adult with stuff to do there just isn't time to play as many games as before and that escapism just gets less compelling with age

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »

i don't actually play videogames to escape anymore. i have advanced to higher forms of escapism (shitposting on tig).
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »

no
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 12:27:40 PM »

i don't actually play videogames to escape anymore. i have advanced to higher forms of escapism (shitposting on tig).

ur just corroborating my point

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 12:36:51 PM »

wasn't meant as a counter to your point.

it's really true tho, im in a personal family situation atm where i sometimes need an "escape" and videogames are terrible for that. when im already feeling shitty or depressed, the last thing i want to do to get a breather is something that requires active engagement.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:42:44 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »

it's really true tho, im in a personal family situation atm where i sometimes need an "escape" and videogames are terrible for that. when im already feeling shitty or depressed, the last thing i want to do to get a breather is something that requires active engagement.
computer games have become less about entertainment and more about the construction of complex obfuscated rules determining interactions which are ultimately designed to fill lots of time, but are not moment-to-moment classically "fun".
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 01:43:52 PM »

for example, transformers: devastation contains a wildly complicated and opaque number of character stats, weapon crafting, loot, etc. all of which can be comfortably ignored to have fun.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »

computer games have become less about entertainment and more about the construction of complex obfuscated rules determining interactions which are ultimately designed to fill lots of time, but are not moment-to-moment classically "fun".

that's not a problem, the problem is having to learn and master those rules. wouldn't be different if the games were "classically fun" whatever that means.

either way, shitposting on tig is far superior because i can just post whatever and air my frustrations in a very oblique passive aggressive way. so it has an additional therpeutic effect which games don't. how are you today
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »

let's look at some popular games from the last few years:

metal gear solid v - sometimes, on occassion most rare, it's metal gear solid. but quite frequently it's all of the worst parts of theme park, or shenmue. contract negotiations, aimless walking, staring at a watch from 1984.

grand theft auto 4 - the first next gen installment in the popular sand box game was one part video game one part loveless gay marriage simulator, in which you were frequently harangued into doing boring meaningless shit completely devoid of objective.

it is against this backdrop that  when a game such as doom, or transofmrers: devastation releases, a significant proportion of computer game players go Uh wow holy shit, playing this game is a throwback to playing games
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:57:11 PM »

that's not a problem, the problem is having to learn and master those rules. wouldn't be different if the games were "classically fun" whatever that means.

either way, shitposting on tig is far superior because i can just post whatever and air my frustrations in a very oblique passive aggressive way. so it has an additional therpeutic effect which games don't. how are you today
you have been roped into a system where you are expected to toil, for fun. trolling on line though, that is to cast aside the laws of lesser men.
Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 02:01:37 PM »

I've only ever finished a handful of games. If it's longer than ten hours, I haven't finished it (except for The Last of Us).

This makes me feel alienated from the gamer culture of declaring a game is worthwhile because it contains one million hours of gameplay. "True human experience," says the gamer, "Putting one million hours into something makes me feel deeply. I now feel connected to the planet, and to spiritual planes."
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 02:05:06 PM »

to silbereisen i say: you can do it. i nearly died in september of last year but i still trolled 3 or 4 web sites for the duration of this tough period. believe in yourself.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 02:10:22 PM »

you have been roped into a system where you are expected to toil, for fun.

trainspotters degradation asks you to learn systems and repeat challenges until you overcome them. that doesn't really seem like a qualitative difference to me, you just think it's more "fun" because those mechanics are more to your taste. to be frank, games like that feel more like "work" to me than the games you listed above because i actually have to invest effort into learning how to play them "correctly." whereas a in a game like GTA you don't have to actually understand shit beyond which button does what to be entertained. i don't actually like GTA im just saying.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »

to silbereisen i say: you can do it. i nearly died in september of last year but i still trolled 3 or 4 web sites for the duration of this tough period. believe in yourself.

thank you for your words of encouragement, they mean a lot to me.  Smiley
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 02:15:35 PM »

you have been roped into a system where you are expected to toil, for fun.

trainspotters degradation asks you to learn systems and repeat challenges until you overcome them. that doesn't really seem like a qualitative difference to me, you just think it's more "fun" because those mechanics are more to your taste. to be frank, games like that feel more like "work" to me than the games you listed above because i actually have to invest effort into learning how to play them "correctly." whereas a in a game like GTA you don't have to actually understand shit beyond which button does what to be entertained. i don't actually like GTA im just saying.
i googled transpotters degradation because it sounded like some kind of actual and real obliquely named video game phenomenon before i got it
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »

basically my issue re: games and escapism is this: either they're so high engagement that they piss me off even more, or they're so low engagement that my mind circles back on the thoughts i was trying to escape from in the first place.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »

basically my issue re: games and escapism is this: either they're so high engagement that they piss me off even more, or they're so low engagement that my mind circles back on the thoughts i was trying to escape from in the first place.
have you tried running
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »

yes. running, hiking or just taking walks works much better.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic