Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:13:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDo you often buy games that you don't complete? Or don't even play once?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Do you often buy games that you don't complete? Or don't even play once?  (Read 2937 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 02:37:15 PM »

by trainspotters degradation i meant the award winning action game developed by platinum games based on the classic irvine welsh heroin novel "trainspotting". it offers, and I quote, "A refreshingly different take on the source material, featuring such powerful metaphors as a giant syringe robot".
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 11:21:40 PM »

by trainspotters degradation i meant the award winning action game developed by platinum games based on the classic irvine welsh heroin novel "trainspotting". it offers, and I quote, "A refreshingly different take on the source material, featuring such powerful metaphors as a giant syringe robot".
An absolute [10] of a shitpost.  Cool

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 12:14:15 AM »

i seem to get the most enjoyment figuring out a games mechanics. once you work out an ideal path (be it attack/defense timings, equipment/upgrades, adaptive strategies, or even just some logic paradigm, etc.), often the rest of the game is just grinding that out to one degree or another. So if i get that vibe im probably not going to stick it out unless theres something really interesting going on. and no offense to anyone in the field, but game writing is almost never interesting enough to hold my attention, so im not likely to stick around for "the plot" (though i really hope that changes.)

so to answer the question: yes, plenty.

GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 01:29:47 AM »

i don't actually play videogames to escape anymore. i have advanced to higher forms of escapism (shitposting on tig).

randomly generated shitposts are my escape now

GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 01:30:50 AM »

metal gear solid v - sometimes, on occassion most rare, it's metal gear solid. but quite frequently it's all of the worst parts of theme park, or shenmue. contract negotiations, aimless walking, staring at a watch from 1984.

MGSV was a really enjoyable Far Cry game, even with the terrible unlock system

Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 02:23:51 AM »

and no offense to anyone in the field, but game writing is almost never interesting enough to hold my attention, so im not likely to stick around for "the plot" (though i really hope that changes.)

Totally agree. The Last of Us is the only game that's kept me for a significant amount of time with its writing. I really hope we see more writing of that quality and higher. I notice that a lot of shorter arthouse games have good writing now, so it'd be nice to see that migrate to the rest of the industry.
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »

It's funny when people say that the writing never keeps them around when all of the people advising you are telling you that you NEED a story to keep people around.

Or is that "depressing?" I'm not sure.
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 07:30:07 AM »

It's funny when people say that the writing never keeps them around when all of the people advising you are telling you that you NEED a story to keep people around.

Or is that "depressing?" I'm not sure.

Dunno. I do care about the story if there's good one. If there's no good story, but great gameplay - still good. But of course I'd say that game with bad story, but great gameplay has more chances for me, than vice versa.

In FF Type-0 HD gameplay was the only thing that made me play this game despite crappy graphics and weak story (or maybe it was that deep feeling of regret about 40$ spent on this "FF15 Demo).
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 10:35:43 AM »

I always thought that gameplay should come first (being, you know, a game and all) and the story should fit around that.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »

most game stories are still written for an audience of children and teens. when i was 13 i thought final fantasy 7 was mindblowing.

it's very rare for me to play longer games just for the story (or play longer games in general lol). but i recently finished the witcher 3 and i thought it had very entertaining and well paced writing. the gameplay was mediocre (but pleasant enough), but the various large and small stories told by the quests were what kept me going.

Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 06:53:04 AM »

most game stories are still written for an audience of children and teens. when i was 13 i thought final fantasy 7 was mindblowing.

it's very rare for me to play longer games just for the story (or play longer games in general lol). but i recently finished the witcher 3 and i thought it had very entertaining and well paced writing. the gameplay was mediocre (but pleasant enough), but the various large and small stories told by the quests were what kept me going.

Yeah. It's a shame that A. Sapkowski (author of original books) said that he considers games as non-canon. Sometimes game's script is better than original books.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 07:03:23 AM »

Ive never read the books, but I heard witcher 3 somehow reconnects the games with the book canon?
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »

I currently own 650 games on Steam and I've finished aprox. 200.

Every steam sale "Woah, everyone talks about this game and it's so cheap, gonna buy it now to play later". 4 years pass and I haven't played it yet.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 08:34:53 AM »

that's an unhealthy obsession and you should re-evaluate some things

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 08:36:29 AM »

Yeah, my therapist said the same thing Sad

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »

it might be hard to see it from a first person view but it's basically the same as hoarding shoes

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Hitrison
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »

I currently own 650 games on Steam and I've finished aprox. 200.

Every steam sale "Woah, everyone talks about this game and it's so cheap, gonna buy it now to play later". 4 years pass and I haven't played it yet.

Jeez, and here I was thinking I had way too many with 183.   Coffee

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 09:56:29 AM »

i maye have to explain some things http://steamcommunity.com/id/alevice/

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »

incredible.... you have 850 Games not played (74% Games not played)

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »

Tomb Raider (anniversary, I think?) I just couldn't force myself to complete.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic