Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:19:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDo you often buy games that you don't complete? Or don't even play once?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Do you often buy games that you don't complete? Or don't even play once?  (Read 2860 times)
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »

Woah. I have like 30 games on Steam. But even with console games it's 150-200 games max. Maybe if I wasn't pirating during my childhood, I could name bigger numbers. Smiley
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »

I have a bunch of games on Steam that bought just to compensate the fact that I've pirated them when I was younger and had no income.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »

incredible.... you have 850 Games not played (74% Games not played)

much like tube, a few of them (okay, 10% tops maybe) i had already pirated them back in the day.

Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2016, 01:18:32 PM »

So far the only game i've never finished is GTA4. I got it from Steam. I don't know but there's something i really don't like about that game. I liked San Andreas much more. I also got fed up with playing as a bloodthristy and sex-addicted criminal in video games. Glad i only paid ten euros for that. Playing as a chubby plumber eating mushrooms or as an alien cat fighting a sarcastic runt destroying planets here and there is much more entertaining to me.

Another game i've never finished is Mario Party 4... the asses from the local videogame store sold me a broken copy and pretended it was new No No NO - Never went back there. Should try to find a disk-only copy, though.

Aside from these... i think i've finished literally every game i've bought.

There are few games, though, that i thought they were so forgettable made me want to not finish them at all but did anyway. some of these are games of the AC series after Brotherhood. The first AC was pretty linear and never played it again. I played Ezio's trilogy which is the best and didn't bother replaying AC3 and further. Shadow of Mordor also (because of the frigging Quick Time Event final boss, ridicolous!) I never played Wii Sport and Wii Sport Resort, though: they were bundled with the Wii when i bought it at a very low price. But i've never felt like buying a game if i knew i would never play it. Honestly most AAA games today aren't exciting at all to me. Nintendo games give me that effect.
Still didn't finished Uncharted's trilogy for PS4, but that's because i'm lazy. Since it's Naughty Dog, which has always made quality games, i trust the fact they're good games.

I'd like to see more PS4 games that use a more cartoon style rather than all these grim hyper realistic shooters. But maybe that's more for Xbox.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 07:29:52 AM »

This is one of the reasons I started let's playing. I don't play games much anymore if I'm not recording, and once I start a project with some public accountability, I'll pretty much always finish it unless the game turns out to be unexpectedly terrible.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »

I usually try to put at least a little bit of time into every game I buy (The minimum time I attempt to put in is one hour, but usually it ends up being 30-45 minutes).  Once I play it a bit I can decide whether or not it's something I want to come back to when I have the time.  However, I don't think my list of unplayed games has ever hit zero in about 4 years (and even then there were probably some games I had forgotten I even owned), it just gets down to ~5 and then jumps back up when there's a particularly tempting bundle or sales.  I probably complete ~20 games a year (I've recently taken to creating lists for myself of games I want to play, with blank slots to fit in new games, and then playing them more-or-less in order.  It helps deal with the Paradox of Choice problem)

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 10:00:17 AM »

i have this problem So Bad. it's a nasty combination of buying things to feel good, ADD, being generally bad at video games, and a constant need to be "in the know" when it comes to current games. the good thing is that i've gotten significantly better about this in the past year or so, by committing to beat games (keeping a list of games i've beaten has helped a lot) and being a bit more discerning with my purchases. I hate long games mostly because so many of them are long for no reason other than to be long. i stupidly bought batman arkham knight when it was on sale and stopped after three hours or so with it when i realized how much "content" was in it. well that and it's just an extraordinarily dumb game. twenty hours is probably the maximum i'm comfortable with, with some exceptions. it sucks, because i've been increasingly interested in jrpgs and visual novels lately, but jrpgs largely waste my time and visual novels almost always require multiple playthroughs to balloon playtime. i just can't keep interested that long, or i'll hit a difficulty spike (jrpgs only) and just move on to something else. i love what i've played of persona 4, but i got stuck on a boss about 50 hours in and don't really want to go back and grind up the rest of my team. my steam account is in the 600s, which is mostly a result of buying bundles just for 1 or 2 games (which i probably barely played) but a macbook air has been my main computer for the past three years and has significantly curtailed my purchases there.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 10:29:51 AM »

simple solution from your self help guru silbereisen:

1. stop buying games you know you won't play

2. at the same time, don't feel "guilty" about not playing games you already own. it's not a big deal. there are mistakes in life that you can legitimately feel bad about. wasting 5 cash dollerz on a steam game during a sale is not one of them. the tiny bit of money you lost is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. it won't bankrupt you and the world will still be turning. your life will go on!!!

from that it follows that you shouldn't force yourself to play games you don't enjoy just because you paid for them. i mean, we are talking about entertainment here. if a game does not fulfill its purpose of entertaining you, there are about 12942034953405693409859459494755 more worthy ways to spend your time & energy than trudging through it just so you can tell yourself you've "gotten your money's worth". whatever that means.

and by the way, you don't have a duty to "finish" games either. if a videogame stops being entertaining before you see the credits screen or the 100% completion ratio in your pause menu, just stop playing it, be happy about the entertainment you DID get out of it and, again, do something better with your time.

thank yo u
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 10:51:40 AM »

tldr of the post above: Sunk cost fallacy is a thing that exists.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »

yes
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »

I don't feel any guilt if this is a dirt-cheap old game, but I feel very bad when I'm buying something for 40-60 bucks and then realize that it's not my cup of tea. Also I hate selling games - I have only physical copies (digital is not an option for me, except when there's no physical release at all).
The game that I hate the most at this point is Trackmania Turbo. I've completed 75 tracks with gold medal. And it's already at the edge of my racing skill. The game has 200 races. I had to spent at least 1 hour to beat each of the last 5 tracks.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 01:48:43 PM »

this thread is making me feel like a well prioritized and adapted person

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »

I don't know if Castle of Illusion is really going to be deslisted
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1271302
"Due to an expiration of business terms, SEGA will no longer be able to sell Castle of Illusion on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, or Steam, with the current publishing arrangement coming to an end on September 2," the company said in a statement. "For players who own the game, they will be able to re-download it to their respective system at any point in the future — this delisting should not prevent current owners from being able to access the game at a later time."

but it's another occasion to have a game in your library that you'll never play.
It's on sale !
Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2016, 01:18:04 PM »

I don't know if Castle of Illusion is really going to be deslisted
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1271302
"Due to an expiration of business terms, SEGA will no longer be able to sell Castle of Illusion on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, or Steam, with the current publishing arrangement coming to an end on September 2," the company said in a statement. "For players who own the game, they will be able to re-download it to their respective system at any point in the future — this delisting should not prevent current owners from being able to access the game at a later time."

but it's another occasion to have a game in your library that you'll never play.
It's on sale !

Oh gawding godling!
Thanks for that! Except from the fact that i'm gonna play it.
If that was a lie, though, it would be a very kind of big dick move, even if the price is extremely low. But don't think it, since copyright issues are a serious business.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »

there was an official post and everything iirc

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic