Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:41:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCute Retro Turn Based Strategy [Playable, HTML5]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Cute Retro Turn Based Strategy [Playable, HTML5]  (Read 5352 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »

nice!

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 09:12:02 PM »

Update #3

• Adding a new quad unit. It is fast and its machine gun is efficient against infantry.
    Next to it is a storage building. It will be used to store different kinds of cache and rewards.

• Added native support of ASE (Aseprite) animation format to the game. This doesn't give any visible changes to the game but will improve my productivity as I don't have to export images to png anymore. I can now use ASE tags as well.

• Added new symmetrical map for multiplayer:

• Last, but not least, I have started to work on Android port. The game already runs and is playable on my phone. I had to add vertical UI layout and change input to accommodate for touch. Will require some more polish, though.

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2016, 05:47:12 AM »

I tried the web browser version, I liked it it's very enjoyable and fun to play. Keep going!

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 06:17:33 AM »

I've finally won a mission, Im ust say I'm quite bad ^^.
The game is really fun and easy to understand.
I have one question. does damaged units do less damage ? (like in aw I think)

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »

I tried the web browser version, I liked it it's very enjoyable and fun to play. Keep going!

Thank you, great to know you liked it!

I've finally won a mission, Im ust say I'm quite bad ^^.
The game is really fun and easy to understand.
I have one question. does damaged units do less damage ? (like in aw I think)

Yes, the damage that is being dealt linearly depends on the health, at the moment it is in 50%-100% range depending on how much health does unit have.

Glad you got a positive impression as well. Is there something on the negative side? Something frustrating or annoying, maybe? I have a feeling at times that even this simple animation that I have slows down a game and becomes repetitive...

Anton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »

The animations are fine to me.
I would need/ like a feedback on the enemy range of actions. it is difficult to now when you are putting yourself at risk and when you are safe.

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »

The animations are fine to me.
I would need/ like a feedback on the enemy range of actions. it is difficult to now when you are putting yourself at risk and when you are safe.

I just added an enemy range display in the latest build. You can activate it with RMB.

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2016, 03:37:23 PM »

Update #4:

• Adding missing animations. All units have shadows now. Soldiers are actually jumping.

• Experimenting with move grid style:

• Preview of enemy movement and attack range:

• Added automatic camera movement on Android:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:44:55 PM by koalefant » Logged

Hao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 10:33:08 PM »

My absolute favorite game for GBA and NDS was Advance Wars. Already did a few missions of yours and I'm loving it, hoping you can also add some nice tunes to it Smiley

Game is looking really good graphic-wise, and it's very smooth to play. The HUD on mobile looks really good, but I think the PC once could get a little improvement (I know, I know, WIP). Hope you can also add the Advance Wars-style battle cinematics.

BTW, did you play Dual Strike for NDS? Hands off one of my favorite games of all time.

IGF Finalist Wind And Water is now on Steam Greenlight!

Chosen -- 挑戦 [ Platformer Devlog ] - DevLog
koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 02:24:27 PM »

My absolute favorite game for GBA and NDS was Advance Wars. Already did a few missions of yours and I'm loving it, hoping you can also add some nice tunes to it Smiley
Thank you for kind words! Grin Certainly, that is the part that is completely missing at the moment. I will get to it when the campaign is done.

Game is looking really good graphic-wise, and it's very smooth to play. The HUD on mobile looks really good, but I think the PC once could get a little improvement (I know, I know, WIP). Hope you can also add the Advance Wars-style battle cinematics.

BTW, did you play Dual Strike for NDS? Hands off one of my favorite games of all time.
I agree, UI is a bit dull at the moment, I will need to revamp it as soon as I settle with number of actions available in the again.

No, I haven't tried Dual Strike yet, somehow completely missed NDS generation of games... But now when you're mentioning it I am getting curious.  Grin

Hao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »

You should find a way to play it, it's the best of the series by far, especially the music.

I was having a hard time with the missions because I didn't realize you could unload yourself from the vehicle and then heal the infantry unit, but that's really ingenious. Guess I played too much Advance Wars X_X

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »

You should find a way to play it, it's the best of the series by far, especially the music.
I am looking for DS to borrow already.  Smiley
I was having a hard time with the missions because I didn't realize you could unload yourself from the vehicle and then heal the infantry unit, but that's really ingenious. Guess I played too much Advance Wars X_X
Ha-ha, I hope there were this "a-ha!" moment, when AI did it in front of you. Grin The next  trick is to swap injured tank drivers to healthy ones Wink

Is there something else you find annoying or really missing in the game, except for better HUD and music?

Hao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »

I find the game a little bit "dull" without the story-mode part (me being the kind of guy who likes protagonists or heroes on stories), as well as an in-game tutorial. Like this one:

(Beware of the shameless plug!)

I know it's incredibly tedious, painful work to script that, but since people nowadays don't have too much patient, maybe you can make it really short and simple, like a small dialog saying "Oh! Remember that when your Tank is on low health, you can unload the wounded infantry and load another one to the tank".

You could design some kind of character for your game, your pixel art is quite nice. Just a small icon representing would help:

(NOTE: I only say this because I think your idea is incredibly well implemented, me myself always wanting to do an Advance Wars-type of game)

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 11:55:56 PM »

I find the game a little bit "dull" without the story-mode part (me being the kind of guy who likes protagonists or heroes on stories), as well as an in-game tutorial.
That is exactly my weak point - I am not interested so much in stories (in comparison with systemic games), and not good at writing one. I was trying to avoid this topic. But it looks like I would need to start on this as well.  Cry

Like this one:

(Beware of the shameless plug!)
Thanks for a good example here.

I know it's incredibly tedious, painful work to script that, but since people nowadays don't have too much patient, maybe you can make it really short and simple, like a small dialog saying "Oh! Remember that when your Tank is on low health, you can unload the wounded infantry and load another one to the tank".

I certainly want the game to be approachable for new users, so I would like to have some kind of introduction. I was always annoyed by the AW tutorials, as they would make you skip a lot of text every time, but some kind of teaching process is certainly needed here.

You could design some kind of character for your game, your pixel art is quite nice. Just a small icon representing would help:

(NOTE: I only say this because I think your idea is incredibly well implemented, me myself always wanting to do an Advance Wars-type of game)
Regarding of adding character potraits - I am a bit concerned about adding elements that are not part of the gameplay process. In AW they could use special abilities, but in my game, that would be completely detached from the game process, unless I turn this into RPG.

One crazy idea that came to my mind: to have a hand of your opponent in the game. It would be touching units and giving out orders. I believe it could be used to help with both issues. In the beginning, it would act as a tutorial, not explicitly teach player, but rather show what could be done. And then it could be used to create an illusion of an opponent presence by expressing emotions with its animation. That would not be enough to tell a story, however...

Thanks for valuable feedback and illustrating your exampless!  Coffee

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 12:00:50 AM »

Update #5:

• Added in-game scoring for maps. At the end of the level player can now rate the map.
    This should help me to find out which maps require more love.

• Adding new helicopter unit. Tweaking timing and other animations.

• "Meet the helicopter" map.

Hao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2016, 08:14:24 PM »

Hellicopter looks really cool Smiley I like how their animation timing are opposite, so that they don't look too linear! Ranking would be fun and rating would help! Are you planning on making factories? :D

Also, regarding all the feedback I posted, I think it's important not to hurry too much. Just keep working on it slowly and steady, leave my feedback for the future. Your art and pixel art overall is clean and cool, so maybe just experimenting with adding a portrait for the allies and one for the boss would be great. In The Future™!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic