Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1318854 Posts in 59249 Topics- by 50343 Members - Latest Member: Fulby

October 20, 2017, 01:37:54 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTangledeep: 16-bit roguelike dungeon crawler! Now with magic trees!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Tangledeep: 16-bit roguelike dungeon crawler! Now with magic trees!  (Read 29392 times)
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 27, 2016, 11:14:16 pm »

TANGLEDEEP ON KICKSTARTER! Funded! All 4 stretch goals!

Tangledeep launched on Kickstarter on 3/21/17, raising money to do even more animation polish and get special guest composers on the soundtrack! So far everything has been done out of pocket, and I'll continue shouldering most of the cost and working on the game myself. This is just to make the game even better from an aesthetic standpoint. Thanks in advance for checking it out!

DISCORD
Join me on Discord! Talk about the game, ask questions, and listen in on development. I'd love to have you around!

https://discord.gg/4q5kjUm

MAILING LIST
Stay up to speed on the game's progress and major milestones like Kickstarter launch, alpha, beta and final release!

TWITTER
It's here! http://twitter.com/tangledeepgame

WEBSITE
It's here! http://tangledeep.com/

DEV STREAMS

Watch Tangledeep come to life on Twitch! I've done this a bunch of times now and I plan on doing it a couple times a week at least. I'll always post on Twitter first, or you can follow me here: http://twitch.tv/tangledeepgame

LATEST BUILD! 4/30/17

WIN: http://tangledeep.com/builds/Tangledeep-LatestWinBuild.rar
OSX: http://tangledeep.com/builds/Tangledeep-LatestOSXBuild.zip

Alright, strap in... I've been working overtime on this build and there's a whooole lot here. From classic RPG-style "typewriter text" (surprisingly hard to do with colors, sizes, etc.) to a new town EXPANSION, magic trees, and cooking... Tangledeep has definitely risen above 50% completion! I'll focus on some of the key changes here...

Magic trees can be planted in your GROVE, which is in the all-new town expansion (south of Riverstone Camp). Trees grow over in-game time, and continue to grow even when a character dies. As trees mature, they will begin to drop food as you play the game. This is a great way of stocking up on food items. With 5 mature trees, you can expect a decent amount of food with each new character or floor you explore! BUT, you can also cut down trees for a quick XP + JP bonus. Another way to boost a fresh character OR help put you over the edge to the next level.

To plant trees, you'll need to find magic seeds which drop rarely from common enemies, and more often from champions & bosses.

Next, we have the cooking system which is still in its infancy with lots of possibilities ahead. Talk to the campfire in camp to see what recipes are available. Recipes are more powerful than normal food items, so when you want to maximize every turn in the dungeon, these are the best way to do it. More recipes will of course be coming!

You can also enter accessory Item Worlds now, which can yield new magic mods and is guaranteed to give a boost to max Energy and Stamina.

A fully developed grove! (More tree art is coming...)

BELOW BUILD NOTES ARE OLD

(4/24) Tonight's build has some important key new features and changes that I'm eager to see in action. First is a rework of the main HUD. All of the key information has been placed along the bottom of the screen and cleaned up. The gameplay now centers on the hero and not the dead center of the screen, so you should no longer have cases where the UI covers up crucial game content. You can of course hide the hud with H still. This IS a work in progress and it will be improved more over time but it's a big step!

Next we have level up bonuses. Previously, your core stats (Strength, Swiftness, etc.) rose slightly each level, between 1.3 to 1.75 points, based on your current job. Now, in addition to these bonuses, you can select a core stat to boost even more. This +3 stat boost is received on every level up. Over the course of even 5-6 levels this should help you customize your character further.

I'm also trying to make sure that you can't screw up your character. All stats are useful to all characters, and there should be no "dump stats". A melee fighter can still use Discipline for elemental resistance; a ranged fighter wants Spirit for powerup recovery and buff duration; a mage still enjoys the physical defense boost from Strength.

Lastly there is the Monster Corral. The visual implementation here (a single placeholder shark NPC) is VERY INCOMPLETE as the corral will be integrated into the entire new town expansion map, coming soon. But the basic functionality is done. Buy (or find) a Monster Mallet, weaken a monster to <15% health, then knock it out with the mallet and bring it to the Corral. Monsters in the Corral have their own charming interactions and personalities. They also grant you combat bonuses against those specific monster species and their family.

There's a lot more too but I'll just list the rest in the log!

Knocking out a monster with the Monster Mallet.

Hey, what happens in the corral...

(4/21/17) Besides the usual round of bug fixes and QOL/polish, this build offers some new buffs to the Floramancer, Budoka, and Gambler, plus new weird stuff in Item World. Rumors and Medium Armor are also better/more unique now. All good stuff I think!

Also, to expand on the reasoning for the wandering monster change I made last build: The issue with how I had it before was that players would destroy the crystal ASAP, because it was always the best option. There wasn't much decision making involved. This made it a lot easier to kite and hunt monsters one by one. This should be a valid tactic, but not one without risk, and if no new monsters spawn... there isn't a lot of risk involved.

Now, destroying the crystal is worth even more, but it makes life a little harder, too. The choice is yours. (Remember, if you're very high level, monsters will run from you, so eventually, each floor WILL become safe.)

(4/20) This build has a major bug fix related to wandering monsters causing game errors, which is the main reason I'm pushing it out today. It also has a couple major gameplay-related changes and I'm interested in seeing how they play out. First, powerups have generally been made more useful and more frequent. You are more likely to find ones that you need, champions always drop them, and you can get two from a single monster. Also, you won't ever get powerups for a resource you're full on. These things should - in theory - make it easier for all jobs to use their abilities a bit more often.

At the same time I've adjusted the monster-attracting gem in a way that may make the game harder. Previously, destroying the gem was almost always optimal so you could make a floor safe. Now, there will always be wandering monsters. However, destroying the gem (which is now "Monster Surpressing Crystal") will yield a larger reward of XP, JP, and gold. The tradeoff is that future wandering monsters will be a bit harder - maybe by 10-15%.

Another key change is that destructibles can generally no longer spawn loot at the same level as the monsters you're fighting, with some exceptions (like gold chests). I think that fighting monsters should be the best source of loot to reward beating challenging encounters.

There are other changes coming up too but for now, I wanted to get these into the world!

(4/19) Today we have a patch chock full of bug fixes and quality of life improvements, plus a smattering of art and UI upgrades. Lots of stuff related to shops, sorting, and the inventory screen, and helpful things for mouse users too. But even more notably, I'm introducing version 0.1 alpha of ITEM WORLD! Inspired by the Disgaea series, Item World is a way to go inside a piece of gear, generating a mini-dungeon on the fly (with unique map layouts) and upgrading the item if you can beat the boss.

To enter Item World, you first need to find an Orb of Item World (placeholder name...) from champions or boss monsters. Use it in Riverstone Camp, then drop a piece of equipment (weapon, offhand, armor) to enter.

Again: This is just v0.1, so there may (probably will) be bugs, and there will be much more content associated with Item World before development is done. But in the meantime, have at it! :D

The elusive Goldfrog

Items pour out of monsters/chests instead of stacking now!

New inventory hotbar - drag and droppable!

Dialog borders and animations!

(4/15) OK! Lots of bug fixes here addressing some annoying issues. Map generation received quite a bit of love (and art), and there are some diabolical new upper-level challenges such as expanded side areas and new monsters. It's a pretty great patch! I've also laid the groundwork for the upcoming ITEM WORLD. What is Item World? You'll see next patch! :D

The new "Ice Daggers" champion mod in action!

The dungeon is looking great!

New Thunder Spirit now electrifies nearby enemies, which in turn can electrify you :D

(4/13/17) This essential update fixes some map generation issues and other big bugs, while also making key balance tweaks, and adding an all-new map layout style. There are also a bunch of new items, the 2nd boss fight has been redone, and Percy - the turtle healer - can now change your job anytime, and give you temporary 'blessings' too!

The new "Shadow Sanctum" boss fight

(4/8/17) Well there sure were a lot of bugs with that last build! Oops! This new one fixes lots of them, plus older bugs that have been around for a long time. I made some deep engine changes to map generation, saving, and loading, so hopefully nothing will break this time?

This build also adds a much-requested feature, a healer in town! Percy doesn't do much at the moment other than heal you to full, but that's pretty good, right? Of course, healing isn't free, and it only gets more expensive each time you do it per character level. In other words: you won't pay much earlier on, but as the XP curve slopes upward and you spend more time on each experience level, you won't be able to rely on him as much.

And here's the Gambler styling on some enemies...

(4/7) OK! This build introduces an all-new job with the most custom ability coding I've done yet... the Gambler may or may not be balanced, but she'll take those monsters for all they're worth! This is a job that relies on high-risk, high-reward playstyles and (of course) some luck too.

On the balance side, you can expect a greater challenge from floors 9 and up, as monster damage was not scaling anywhere near enough previously. The aggro/stealth system has been revamped and is ab it less abusable. Recovery abilities have also been scrapped or reworked; there are no longer any jobs who can simply heal themselves on command.

(4/2) As we approach the Kickstarter campaign's first stretch goal (character portraits!) I've got a new update ready to go! This introduces the rumor system. Rumors are a way to get extra items, JP, XP, and gold, as well as get info about parts of the dungeon you've not yet explored. There are 4 types of rumors to start with, which you can obtain (for a price) in Riverstone Camp. There are also 'conditions' which sometimes appear with rumors, adding extra rewards - but extra challenges too.

Aside from this - which took most of my dev time since last build - there are quite a few bug fixes, some balance tweaks, and a key fix that should make the UI more usable at resolutions lower than 1920x1080.

(3/29) Tangledeep has been fully funded! Now I can ad all that delicious polish, AND, since the Kickstarter isn't over yet, there are more stretch goals (and more awesome polish) ahead.

For example, composer Grant Kirkhope (GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Yooka-Laylee...) will be joining the project as a guest composer if we can hit the $21k goal. How awesome is that?!

Of course, we're not resting on any laurels here - I've been putting every spare minute into Tangledeep to make it better and better.

This build is pretty major from a balance and content perspective. Notably, the dungeon is now 20 floors total, and all enemies and loot drops have been rebalanced to compensate for the additional length. That means new monsters have been added, abilities have been changed, HP/damage values tweaked, and new side areas available to explore. My goal is to smooth over the difficulty curve so there is not such a dramatic spike between certain floors, also giving you time to learn enemy behaviors/powers and build up loot.

While dungeon expansion is the main thrust of the update there's tons of other great changes and additions too. Check it out!

(3/25) Our Kickstarter has been going great, reaching nearly 75% funding in just a few days! This has also been the biggest audience ever playing the game, which means I've had LOTS of bugs to fix. That was the main focus of today's build, BUT I managed to get a bunch of other awesome features in like a drag-and-drop equipment UI, a number of new items, new magic mod, new champ mod, wandering & hidden merchants, new art, etc.

(3/20/17) This is the last build pre-Kickstarter launch (tomorrow!) and mainly focuses on bug fixes, polish, and balance tweaks. Just a bit of new content this time. Once the KS launches I will dive back in to features and content, and will be making some larger changes such as making the dungeon deeper and making the difficulty curve a bit gentler (in some ways).

(3/9/17) This build does quite a bit in terms of polish, bug fixes, QOL, and mechanics - though there's not a lot of new content, it should *feel* a lot better now in many ways. Here's the rundown of the key changes/additions and the design process behind them.

Also, Kickstarter is launching next week! Please sign up for the Tangledeep mailing list if you haven't already!

The Banker
This cute lil' guy in town is Tangledeep's first instance of metagame progression. He'll store your items - for a fee - and if you die, you can then retrieve the items on your next character. He can only store up to 9 items, and you'll have to weigh whether you want to save that badass weapon you found OR use it on your current character... But it overall, this will help you progress further!

Combat Numbers
We've changed the font for damage text and the way it animates - instead of a boring straight crawl up, it 'bounces' off the character. This, along with the jab animation added last patch, really helps with combat 'feedback' and makes it feel nice.

Recovery Changes
The Flask was a little OP, and it didn't feel great to use it to restore Stamina and Energy when you were at full health. So now, it ONLY restores health. On the other hand, I've removed Health powerups, and significantly increased the powerup drop rate. In other words, you'll now be relying on Stamina/Energy powerups as a regular source of resource restoration, along with food & other consumables.

Damage Types Streamlined
I've done away with Slash, Blunt, and Pierce damage. It felt like unnecessary bloat and didn't add any real depth. It was also hard to guess or communicate whether a monster was strong or weak to a certain damage type. However, all the other elements still exist, so you'll still have to think twice about using Fire on a Salamander or Lightning on a Thunder Spirit. And remember, some terrain interacts with elemental damage - like Lava boosting Fire damage!

UI Revisions
The UI has received an overall polish/visual pass, particularly the Equipment screen, which now also includes item comparisons so you can tell at a glance whether an item is better or worse than what you're currently wearing. (The shop comparison UI also got an upgrade.) Along the same lines, I rewrote a lot of the 'list' code from scratch which I believe should make both keyboard + mouse scrolling behavior a lot better.

Game Over Feedback
When you die, you'll now be presented with a summary of: what killed you, how far you got in Tangledeep, monsters slain, steps taken, AND... how many restorative items you died carrying Wink

New comparison UI in action

Use those potions dummy!

WIN: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build3-9-17.rar
OSX: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build3-9-17.app.zip

Quality of life, bug fixes, balance, some new content, and polish. Simple and to the point Wink

Tangledeep

A dungeon-crawling turn based RPG inspired by the very best of the 16-bit era! The game combines the deep, tactical, procedurally generated nature of roguelikes with gorgeous graphics, music, and polished accessibility. Enjoy lots of character customization, memorable monsters, strategic combat, and treasure as you explore the depths of the mysterious Tangledeep.

My Background

My day job is creating music software / virtual instruments. I've written music for a number of games (including AAA stuff), published over a dozen albums, and created some pretty cool sample libraries used by tons of other composers all over the world. But before I got into all that I aspired to be a game developer. I dabbled with coding MUDs and other text based games, but now that I'm further along in my audio career, I'm really enjoying developing a game for real in my spare time.

As part of this process I've had to learn Unity & C# more or less from scratch, with some help from a couple very experienced friends.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:01:56 pm by zircon » Logged
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:35:39 pm »

interesting ! nice style !

Supporter of

and

zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:10:56 pm »

Today I spent most of my time on improving the way ability targeting works. Before, when you entered targeting mode for an ability, there was a rectangle of possible squares, and then (optionally) a cursor targeting shape like a square or line.

Now there are:

* More shapes, like hollowed-out rectangles and crosses
* Shapes created at the origin point, instead of being cursor based, for example a line emitted from the player
* Shapes with an offset pivot, rather than using the player as the center point it can be the base point for a line for example
* Crosses and lines that can be rotated nicely

Here are a couple screenshots of the improvements in action:

Related to abilities... they can now have icons in the UI (basic as it is right now). Also, ability cooldowns are in and working. They even show up as red if the ability is still on cooldown. I'll put a counter or something at some point too.

I also did some preliminary work on a better audio component for things. This allows me to define multiple "cues" for any given GameObject. For example a monster could have a death cue and an attack cue. Within cues, there can be multiple sounds which are chosen at random. I want to flesh this out more but it's not a high priority.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:33:50 pm by zircon » Logged
gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:10:36 am »

Finding the tomes will unlock ability options for your next run(s). The new abilities won't be strictly better: just different. I think this is a nice way of letting players learn and master the core style of each class before unlocking more complexity (again though, not necessarily better.)

As player I prefer game that let me choice from a pool of basic classes (warrior, mage or thief for example), with very different powers / style of play and then when I'm able to finish a game, open new classes with different style of play.

In changing style of play I mean literally event basic mechanics. An example of that is difference between some classes in diablo 2:
- barbarian: close fight
- necromancer: monster resurrection

I hope you get my point on that...

Blog | Last game A droid story
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 11:04:12 am »

Finding the tomes will unlock ability options for your next run(s). The new abilities won't be strictly better: just different. I think this is a nice way of letting players learn and master the core style of each class before unlocking more complexity (again though, not necessarily better.)

As player I prefer game that let me choice from a pool of basic classes (warrior, mage or thief for example), with very different powers / style of play and then when I'm able to finish a game, open new classes with different style of play.

In changing style of play I mean literally event basic mechanics. An example of that is difference between some classes in diablo 2:
- barbarian: close fight
- necromancer: monster resurrection

I hope you get my point on that...

Yes I hear you. The main thing is that I don't want to overwhelm players with choice right off the bat. I've played RPGs / roguelikes that have tons and tons of skill trees and options when there are only a few decent builds, and a lot of the abilities end up being same-y and not that interesting. I would prefer to make a smaller pool of skills that are either customizable or more versatile in their effect.

For example, just throwing this out there... imagine a Cleric type class that fires a bolt of holy energy. If the bolt strikes a wall it shatters into particles. If the particles touch you, you get healed. That kind of thing.

But... maybe this is just a UI thing. Like in Diablo 3, there are sort of preset ability loadouts that can be turned off for more customization. Doing it that way would mean newer players can get right into the action, while more advanced players could delve in to tweak more.
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:13:11 pm »

Starting September with a VERY basic first pass on some UI stuff, with the much-appreciated help of an artist friend.

This was a little tricky since I had to wrap my head around the Canvas, and how anchors work... but I got it looking good even when scaling the resolution / window size all around.

The active weapon hotbar is working nicely too, although right now neither that nor the ability hotbar can be actively changed by the player. The weapon hotbar is just auto-filled as you pick stuff up.

Next - show weapon durability, make abilities clickable!
Seaport
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 11:25:39 pm »

This looks fun and I like the target overlay implementation, looks quick to use but with the different shapes giving me some tactical choice too.
I'm guessing that its probably placeholder art but the doors do look a little odd in the walls, with their different perspective

Thaumaturge
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 07:50:29 am »

Interesting! I really like the idea of focussing on variety in the available skills, rather than number. ^_^

If I may ask, how random are the outcomes of player actions? In particular, does your combat mechanic make traditionally-heavy use of to-hit and damage "rolls", or is it deterministic (or largely so, at least)?

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 09:46:24 pm »

This looks fun and I like the target overlay implementation, looks quick to use but with the different shapes giving me some tactical choice too.
I'm guessing that its probably placeholder art but the doors do look a little odd in the walls, with their different perspective

Oh yes, definitely placeholder. I'm mixing and matching some stock art. I do have a very talented artist on board now who is starting by helping me flesh out UI/UX stuff, then will be moving on to environments.

Interesting! I really like the idea of focussing on variety in the available skills, rather than number. ^_^

If I may ask, how random are the outcomes of player actions? In particular, does your combat mechanic make traditionally-heavy use of to-hit and damage "rolls", or is it deterministic (or largely so, at least)?

I want to try to reduce randomness a little bit compared to most roguelikes. Overall I don't want massive variance in combat that is solely due to RNG, unless that's the theme of the class or ability. For example I could see a class that has a lot of luck-based abilities, but you'd be intentionally selected that method of play, as opposed to a more straightforward one.

Anyway, updates! Yesterday I implemented multi-targeting. Right now it's being used for a simple multi-shot type ability but the functionality should be extendable to a whole bunch of possible effects.

The next big task I'm tackling is "Effects". This is the underlying code that will power all abilities, status effects, and many class features. It has to be very versatile and tweakable, potentially by modders down the line too. For example, I want to be able to create an ability (say, a fireball) that has multiple effects. The effects might be "ChangeStat" and "AddStatus". The ChangeStat effect might be set to reduce health, and AddStatus could add a "Burn" condition.

After thinking about ways to do this, I'm going with a parent "Effect" class with a generic virtual methods like DoEffect(). Subclasses that implement this might be things like ChangeStat (which is flexible enough for buffs, damage spells, heal spells, etc.) or MoveSelf. To go a step further, I put in an excellent expression parser which allows me (or anyone) to write out things like damage formulas in XML format.

This is really exciting to me, because it means I can write something like this in a text file:

(attackerWeapon * attackerStrength) * 0.5 + rnd(10,20) + abilityPower

And it will actually load & evaluate correctly in-game, without needing to code additional classes or functions. Can't wait to put it to the test this weekend!
Thaumaturge
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 07:30:46 am »

I want to try to reduce randomness a little bit compared to most roguelikes. Overall I don't want massive variance in combat that is solely due to RNG, unless that's the theme of the class or ability. For example I could see a class that has a lot of luck-based abilities, but you'd be intentionally selected that method of play, as opposed to a more straightforward one.

Aah, that's encouraging to read! I intend to keep an eye on this one, then: heavy reliance on randomness in attack results is one of the things that puts me off of the more traditional roguelikes--that sort of risk-management gameplay simply isn't to my taste, I feel. A tactical, turn-based roguelike with combat mechanics that aren't heavily randomised is an appealing prospect. ^_^

Website ~ Twitter
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 10:11:11 pm »

Weekend spent implementing ability / effect classes, tons of backend work that was immensely satisfying. The inspiration came from designing the core abilities of the game's first playable character class ("Brigand"). I wanted to code some fun and complex abilities which culminated in this:

This showcases an ability that combines lots of tech: multi-targeting and multiple effects. First, the player selects a wall tile to jump OFF of. Then, they select a tile to jump TO. Then, they get a spread targeting cone for a multi-shot attack. That plus a little animation fun!

Though there's still lots to be done, the core of this ability system already works very well. Creating new effects (either as part of abilities, statuses, etc) can be done through XML easily and stacked in all sorts of ways. It may even be over-engineered, but I wanted to make sure all the stuff I have in mind can be done properly!

Otherwise: continuing to work with artist on UI/UX stuff and beginning to think about the game's overall 'tone' (dark, serious, humorous, etc) and setting. I guess I've spent so much of my time just on code that I haven't thought about that other stuff. But I'll figure something out.
Thaumaturge
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 11:11:00 am »

Weekend spent implementing ability / effect classes, tons of backend work that was immensely satisfying. The inspiration came from designing the core abilities of the game's first playable character class ("Brigand"). I wanted to code some fun and complex abilities which culminated in this:

This showcases an ability that combines lots of tech: multi-targeting and multiple effects. First, the player selects a wall tile to jump OFF of. Then, they select a tile to jump TO. Then, they get a spread targeting cone for a multi-shot attack. That plus a little animation fun!

Interesting! That looks like a fun little ability. ^_^

Hmm... What purpose does the first (wall) position serve in the jumping phase? Does it affect the placement or direction of the targeting cone? Or the available positions for the final landing?

As to the camera, I fear that its sudden, sharp movement during the jumping phase might be a little disorienting. (I find it to be a little disorienting in the gif, but I'll admit that this might be related to the size of the image, or tiredness on my part.) This might be alleviated by leaving the camera static during movements of this sort (I would imagine that it's unlikely that off-screen tiles would be selected when using abilities like this). Alternatively, perhaps "soften" the camera's movement, preventing sudden changes in its position.

It might also be worth implementing some additional animation frames for jumps like that, rather than starting immediately, to make the motion seem a little more natural--but that might be something to consider at a later point in development!

... beginning to think about the game's overall 'tone' (dark, serious, humorous, etc) ...
The proper direction is clear: Darkly serious humour. Tongue

Website ~ Twitter
Moshfunk
Level 0

Bleb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »

Zircon himself!? Jesus, I like your stuff man!

Your project looks good, keep it up!

Still no gaems.
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 05:08:50 am »

Hmm... What purpose does the first (wall) position serve in the jumping phase? Does it affect the placement or direction of the targeting cone? Or the available positions for the final landing?

As to the camera, I fear that its sudden, sharp movement during the jumping phase might be a little disorienting. (I find it to be a little disorienting in the gif, but I'll admit that this might be related to the size of the image, or tiredness on my part.) This might be alleviated by leaving the camera static during movements of this sort (I would imagine that it's unlikely that off-screen tiles would be selected when using abilities like this). Alternatively, perhaps "soften" the camera's movement, preventing sudden changes in its position.

It might also be worth implementing some additional animation frames for jumps like that, rather than starting immediately, to make the motion seem a little more natural--but that might be something to consider at a later point in development!

The ability there was really more of a system test than anything - I still haven't quite gotten to *actual* content yet. :-) Also the motion probably seems more extreme because the gif is so cropped. However it's also because the camera is locked on the player right now. I'll add an option that will unlock it.
Pixel Noise
Level 8

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 06:44:01 am »

Don't have much to add, just wanted to say I'm following and looking forward to seeing this develop.

Off topic; Been following OCRemix for 10+ years and so I certainly know your name. Also, Super Audio Cart is a godsend, been playing with it non-stop for the last couple months. If your game design ends up half as polished as your audio stuff, this is going to be very cool.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the Underworld Dungeon OST! Check out the game on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/5203
Thaumaturge
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 07:32:17 am »

The ability there was really more of a system test than anything - I still haven't quite gotten to *actual* content yet. :-) Also the motion probably seems more extreme because the gif is so cropped. However it's also because the camera is locked on the player right now. I'll add an option that will unlock it.

Aah, fair enough, on all counts!

(A wall-jump in which the choice of wall affects where the character ends up might be an interesting ability, by the way. Wink)

Website ~ Twitter
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 10:44:35 am »

Pixel Noise: Hey thanks for the kind words!! :D Glad you're enjoying Super Audio Cart. We're working on an awesome free update coming out later this month which makes the arpeggiator WAY better, so stay tuned for that.

Moshfunk: Thank you!

I've been working on implementing some UI graphics as well as fleshing out more with stats, weapon switching, controller support (SO COOL being able to play with an SNES USB controller) and various other things. Too much to describe so I'll just paste a short gameplay video of where I'm at now. Sorry for all the ripped audio and stock graphics...

Thaumaturge
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 10:53:42 am »

Overall, it looks as though it's shaping up well! ^_^

Regarding the "wall-jump" shown at the end, unless I'm missing a change that you've made, I think that you were right about the movement being more disorienting in the gif version--it looks much better as shown in this video, I think.

Website ~ Twitter
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 12:13:42 am »

Got a super rough build that is.. actually playable! Stuff works! You can explore 5 levels of the dungeon, with increasing difficulty. Harder monsters and better items spawn further down. At the bottom is an ancient golem boss; beat him to win. Now to uh.. do everything else. Lots of progress though.

Wrote some dungeon music too! The goal will be to cycle music every few floors.

http://zirconstudios.com/game/IRL_Dungeon1Wip1_LP.mp3
Pixel Noise
Level 8

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 05:28:20 am »

Sounds great! I don't want to sidetrack the devlog with too much audio talk, so I can PM you if you'd like - but was just curious what VSTs you used for this; is it mostly SAC sounds? It's definitely reminiscent of SNES era sound.

Will you be releasing builds for testing as you go along?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the Underworld Dungeon OST! Check out the game on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/5203
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic