Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411510 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:59:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTangledeep: 16-bit roguelike dungeon crawler, now RELEASED on Steam!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Tangledeep: 16-bit roguelike dungeon crawler, now RELEASED on Steam!  (Read 52666 times)
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »

Thanks for the kind words! Already fixed a few of those errors today, gotta look into that stupid UI mouse blocking thing though... What resolution are you playing at?
Blosser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2017, 10:18:15 PM »

What resolution are you playing at?

Screen Resolution: 1600x900 (Windowed)
Graphics Quality: V-Sync

Also looked at the unity output log and that game over bug was a null reference. Probably not that big a deal, but if you wanted the log just let me know and I can send it to ya.

Game Developer | Contact
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2017, 12:34:23 AM »

A whole day of development, so why not a

NEW BUILD! 3/9/2017

WIN: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build3-9-17.rar
OSX: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build3-9-17.app.zip

This adds some polish, title music (still needs some tweaks), balance, and some key bug fixes that were causing really bad behavior.

Coming soon - I'll be further tweaking how regeneration works. Right now there are too many ways to drain stamina on the map (water, mud) and it feels bad to restore stamina/energy with your flask. So I'm thinking the flask will JUST be for HP, but I'll crank up the drop rate of stamina/mana powerups.... maybe. Anyway, full change log below!

ART
* Various new item art (also, the Demolition Hammer is now a Knight's Shovel. heh heh)
* Camera clamping is back~
* Various fades and polish to the intro / title screens, including a quick developer logo ~ ~ ~
* There are now visual effects for block, parry and crit (let me know how it is)
* Replaced some old, janky animations

AUDIO/MUSIC
* Title screen theme!

BALANCE
* XP requirements to level have been slightly reduced.
* When switching floors, any player-summoned destructibles (bombs, thorns, etc) are removed
* Fairy Choker effect has been revised, and rarity increased slightly. The item now gives you a 20% chance to tick any cooldown by 1 when struck.
* Powerup disappear rate: 15 turns -> 20t
* You can no longer parry while wielding a ranged weapon

BUGS
* Monsters should wander into lava less. Hopefully not at all.
* Fixed bug with selecting "Restart Game" on gameover
* Floramancer's Thorned Skin should properly apply to your pet now (once re-summoned)
* Fixed crash bug related to enemies in Feared state (i.e. running away)
* Your displayed Flask charges now refresh immediately after using a fountain.
* Fixed some bugs with certain options menu variables not reading the correct state (showing as 'on' when off and vice versa.)
* Healing fountains no longer spawn in absurd quantities in side areas
* Improved behavior of "Sniper" type monsters. They will no longer juke around if you can hit them at your range, and focus more on hitting *you*.
* Fixed some areas near the hotbar that still moved your character (portal for example)
* EXPERIMENTAL: Bug fix for weird situations involving push effects, like Budoka kick.

CONTENT/GAMEPLAY
* NEW ACCESSORY: Spiked Pauldrons
* NEW ACCESSORY TYPE: Quivers (3 tiers right now). Gives you extra CT when attacking with a bow.
* If you are significantly higher level than a monster, it will now run from you on sight (assuming you have not started fighting it)
* Loot tables have been added to the game, allowing me to properly balance item drop rates so they are NOT all even. This changes the way items drop across the board, notably scaling down the % chance that you will get a lower level item when you are at a higher challenge level.

ENGINE
* Optimizations to initial game start (map generation)
* Rewrote fog of war system (again) - should be much more CPU efficient
* More ability effects can now be tied to trigger conditions (attacker weapon state, melee vs. ranged, etc.)
* Loot table system implemented
* Reduced size of save files and speed of save writing

QUALITY OF LIFE
* Summoned living vine is no longer affected by lava/mud
* The "Learn Skill" indicator/message now disappears if you open the job screen. It will return after you gain 100 more JP and can still learn an ability (gentle reminder.)
* When switching floors, your CT now resets to 0, not -50.
* When starting or loading the game, there is now a nice screen fade.
* Smooth Camera is on by default
* Guardian Sphere's self destruct only plays in one tile now.
* Weapon information (shown in shops, equip screen) now displays damage type too (pierce, slash, blunt)
* EXPERIMENTAL QOL: Monsters in your faction follow your collision rules (i.e. swinging vines don't block your Floraconda)
* "Emergency" magic mod lists exact HP amount for defense threshold (33%)
* Non-smoothed camera now moves faster

WRITING
* "Floraconda" properly renamed across the board
* Broad Dagger -> Obsidian Dagger
* Breast Plate -> Half Plate
* Half Plate -> Full Plate
* Added a few more colorful damage words for the combat log
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »

I have the new build downloaded, I believe, and intend to try it soon! ^_^

Coming soon - I'll be further tweaking how regeneration works. Right now there are too many ways to drain stamina on the map (water, mud) and it feels bad to restore stamina/energy with your flask. So I'm thinking the flask will JUST be for HP, but I'll crank up the drop rate of stamina/mana powerups.... maybe. Anyway, full change log below!

I had actually made a note to mention the flask in my feedback on the previous version, I believe. I've been finding that, playing a spell-shaper, the flask feels somewhat limiting: I effectively have only so many castings available to me, outside of the effects of foodstuffs (which cost money). Conversely, a melee class can (I presume) keep hitting things effectively, even once they no longer have the resources with which to use their class skills--and might use their class skills less often, come to that.

So I like the idea of having the flask only restore health. Intuitively, I think that the powerups might be a good alternative source of energy and stamina--since they drop from enemies, there's a bit more incentive to engage in combat.

As to the powerups, now that you mention it, it occurs to me that I don't seem to be seeing them very often at all. That said, I haven't been getting very far into the dungeon of late--does that have any effect?

* The "Learn Skill" indicator/message now disappears if you open the job screen. It will return after you gain 100 more JP and can still learn an ability (gentle reminder.)

Ah, thank you for that! ^_^

Here's why I changed powerup behavior - before, if you were really smart and micromanage-y, you could generate them and leave them for when you need them. That's lame. They're supposed to be like Diablo 3 health globes or something. I WILL increase the time it takes for them to disappear though.

I'll confess that I don't believe that I've played (or watched much of) Diablo 3. ^^;

I actually liked leaving the powerups for later, as I recall--much like instant-use health items in old first-person shooters. I also think that I tend to find it frustrating to have resources vanish. On the other hand, as noted above, I didn't see powerups often, and so didn't leave a flood of spare resources in my wake.

That said, I think that this is just a matter of individual taste in gameplay. If their persistence runs counter to your goals for the game, or what you find enjoyable, then fair enough.

~

I played the previous version briefly; most of my thoughts are either covered by your update post or Blosser's feedback, I think, but a few that aren't, as far as I see:

First of all, the game looks much better! The grass and trees add some welcome variety to the environment, the bends in rivers and the like make things feel a little more "organic", and the walls look improved, I find!

The town-portal is welcome--but it seems to take an awfully long time to activate. If I'm fleeing enemies, there's still plenty of time for them to kill me; if I'm not, I'm hanging around doing nothing until it activates.

I like having previously-equipped offhand items be automatically restored to use when putting away a two-handed weapon--that's rather convenient, and the lack of it might be a little frustrating at times.

Bugs:

I had one occasion in which my character seems to have been displayed in the wrong tile. (And indeed, I believe that I had an enemy displayed over my character.) Perhaps this is related to the relatively low frame-rate that I think that I was seeing--something in the code that moves an object's visual representation from one cell to another, perhaps?

I once found myself stuck, unable to move, during a fight. Clicking on the "Town Portal" icon seemed to fix the problem. The enemy was a champion slime, I think. I did note that my "extra turn" percentage read "-43%"--but given the above mention of a now-fixed issue that resulted in having -50CT, this may well not be relevant. (I recall that there was a similar issue in a previous build, in case the solution there helps here.)

It seems that I can't sell weapons that are on my quick-bar. This means that if I don't have many weapons (and thus don't have weapons that might take the quick-bar slots of those that I want to sell), I can end up unable to sell some of my loot.

In the shop, clicking on an item after scrolling with the mouse still results in the wrong item being bought, and item descriptions don't change while scrolling, only updating after moving the mouse-cursor to another item.

I struggled a little to wield a crossbow that I found. It insisted on going into the "offhand item" slot, and seemed to refuse to enter the quick-bar (despite showing up when I clicked on a quick-bar item to be replaced).

Finally, some of the check-boxes in the options menu seem to flip the screen vertically. o_0 (One of these, I think, was the option that removed the textured overlay that the game has by default.)

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »

Some feedback on the new build:

First, I really like the new title music! It's pretty, and somewhat reminiscent of something from a previous age of gaming, I feel. (The leafy, or perhaps rainy, sounds mixed into it are a nice touch, I feel.) ^_^

Thus far I haven't had any further trouble with targeting foes at the edge of an evocation's range. While I haven't yet played for very long, this one may be fixed. ^_^

I appreciate having the job-skill notification disappear after the job-screen is opened!

Some areas seem to run a little less slowly than they previously had; the camp is one such example.

Issues encountered:

- The job-screen notifications don't seem to come back, as far as I've seen, even after a significant amount of JP (i.e. more than a hundred) has accumulated.

- I'm still experiencing the bug in which clicking on a skill-button results in the character moving "towards" it. :/

- Perhaps relatedly, there seem to be areas around the UI--but not covered by it--in which clicks don't take effect. One such area was just above the "wielding" note, extending a short but significant distance above said note.

- I've also had both mouse- and key- inputs seemingly ignored, in this case due, I think, to particularly low frame-rates. (That is, it seems to show up in those areas in which the game runs particularly slowly.)

- I saw occasional flashes of white, which was a little unpleasant. o_o

- Finally, attempting to continue a (presumedly) saved game seems to result in the program hanging. (Well, either that or it was taking an awfully long time to load, with no visible indicators to this effect--just a black screen, I believe.)

zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »

Got it - looking into those...

Note that I did slow down player movement somewhat to account for walking animations (although we only have one right now.) That could be what you're referencing?

Also, you are on WINE, right?
Blosser
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »

You might want to allow the camera to extend beyond the map edges/corners so the UI doesn't obscure things that are important to gameplay.

Example: It looks like the UI could cover up the stairs to move to the next level if its placement is unlucky

Title music is nice btw!

Game Developer | Contact
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »

Thank you! Yes, aware of that UI issue, we're overhauling now.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »

Got it - looking into those...

Good good. ^_^

Note that I did slow down player movement somewhat to account for walking animations (although we only have one right now.) That could be what you're referencing?

While it's not impossible that it had an effect, I'm highly confident that the primary cause is the speed at which the game is running--especially since the degree of slowdown varies from place to place. In some of the smaller, simpler maps, movement feels fairly quick and fluid. Elsewhere it feels slow. In a few places within larger maps, the game slows down further, and starts to become unresponsive.

Also, you are on WINE, right?

I am, yes

zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »

NEW BUILD DAY!

WIN: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Tangledeep-LatestWinBuild.rar
OSX: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Tangledeep-LatestOSXBuild.zip

This build does quite a bit in terms of polish, bug fixes, QOL, and mechanics - though there's not a lot of new content, it should *feel* a lot better now in many ways. Here's the rundown of the key changes/additions and the design process behind them.

Also, Kickstarter is launching next week! Please sign up for the Tangledeep mailing list if you haven't already!

The Banker
This cute lil' guy in town is Tangledeep's first instance of metagame progression. He'll store your items - for a fee - and if you die, you can then retrieve the items on your next character. He can only store up to 9 items, and you'll have to weigh whether you want to save that badass weapon you found OR use it on your current character... But it overall, this will help you progress further!

Combat Numbers
We've changed the font for damage text and the way it animates - instead of a boring straight crawl up, it 'bounces' off the character. This, along with the jab animation added last patch, really helps with combat 'feedback' and makes it feel nice.

Recovery Changes
The Flask was a little OP, and it didn't feel great to use it to restore Stamina and Energy when you were at full health. So now, it ONLY restores health. On the other hand, I've removed Health powerups, and significantly increased the powerup drop rate. In other words, you'll now be relying on Stamina/Energy powerups as a regular source of resource restoration, along with food & other consumables.

Damage Types Streamlined
I've done away with Slash, Blunt, and Pierce damage. It felt like unnecessary bloat and didn't add any real depth. It was also hard to guess or communicate whether a monster was strong or weak to a certain damage type. However, all the other elements still exist, so you'll still have to think twice about using Fire on a Salamander or Lightning on a Thunder Spirit. And remember, some terrain interacts with elemental damage - like Lava boosting Fire damage!

UI Revisions
The UI has received an overall polish/visual pass, particularly the Equipment screen, which now also includes item comparisons so you can tell at a glance whether an item is better or worse than what you're currently wearing. (The shop comparison UI also got an upgrade.) Along the same lines, I rewrote a lot of the 'list' code from scratch which I believe should make both keyboard + mouse scrolling behavior a lot better.

Game Over Feedback
When you die, you'll now be presented with a summary of: what killed you, how far you got in Tangledeep, monsters slain, steps taken, AND... how many restorative items you died carrying Wink

New comparison UI in action

Use those potions dummy!

FULL CHANGE LOG

ART/VISUALS
* Baller new damage text
* New custom art for the 2nd boss fight room
* Various new battle FX
* Updated art for the 1st boss fight
* Lots of UI tweaks and polish
* More icons~
* New SFX for some abilities that didn't have any (Blessed Hammer, Divine Bolt)

BALANCE
* Helmets have been moved from the Accessories loot table to the Armor loot table, which means they will generally drop a bit more often
* Town portal now only takes 10 turns to activate (down from 15)
* Stamina lost while walking through water and mud has been reduced
* Consumable item drop rates no longer scale down at higher levels of the dungeon, i.e., a basic consumable like Mint Herb Brew will drop with the same frequency later in the dungeon
* Treasure sparkles should spawn with a little more consistency and frequency now
* Accessories Endless Flagon and Infinite Brew tweaked. They now heal Stamina or Energy, and cost 10 of the other stat to use.
* Reduced the flat damage reduction of medium and heavy armors
* Fungal Toad "call for help" range increased
* Quillkins have a longer attack range, but don't attack as often
* Blessed Hammer now travels independently of the player's position
* Item costs have been generally increased (scaling up with difficulty), while sale costs have been decreased
* Caltrops now only trigger once per turn even if you stack them
* Frog regen power has been reduced, but they can hop more often
* Chance of being rooted while moving through mud has been increased
* Monster critical hit chance and critical damage have been increased (they were very low, previously)

BUGS
* Fixed audio fade time bug at title screen - should no longer cut off
* Fixed several bugs related to game loading
* Special area overlays no longer load 2x when loading the game
* Portal animation now plays upon game load
* Fixed movement/positioning visual bug
* Fixed a bug where Static Shock (from Hunter's Triple Bolt) struck twice
* Removed some placeholder UI text
* Fixed bug with game over options (again)
* When buying or selling an item at the shop, and you're at the top of the shop list, you will no longer wrap around to the bottom
* The "Learn Skill" indicator works more reliably now
* Possibly fixed sporadic crash during level generation
* Fixed a bug where if you were targeting an ability and opened a menu, the targeting would get messed up
* Hopefully fixed bug with monsters appearing when they are out of LOS and vice versa
* Sprites will no longer randomly flip X/Y
* Lava and mud should no longer spawn on top of one another
* "Hidden" statuses like the Steam Golem's countdown timer will no longer show up when examining/hovering
* Blessed Hammer no longer obstructs movement (i.e. monsters won't try to dodge it)
* Fixed bug with accessory (de)serialization
* Rewrote menus like shop interface, equipment/inventory list, all should work much better now
* Some items that have no magic modifiers will no longer show up as uncommon/magical (blue/yellow)
* Fixed bad visual with Rock Golem's slam earth-to-mud ability
* "Sniper" type enemies will no longer juke into lava while trying to get awesome shots at you
* You should now be able to click-to-move in the lower part of the screen, as well as the lower left area (if the combat log is not showing) - still trying to fix mouse clicks in the skill area, however!
* Reinforced checks for "default weapon" (i.e. fists) to avoid unequipping of fists.

CONTENT/GAMEPLAY
* METAGAME PROGRESS! You will now find the Banker in town. He will store up to nine of your items - for a small fee of course - which persist even if you die! It's free to withdraw but not to deposit, so think carefully about what items you want to save.

* Recovery has been adjusted. The Flask now restores ONLY health. At the same time, Health powerups have been removed from the game, but the chance of a powerup dropping from enemies has increased considerably. Note that killing enemies around your level will yield more powerups, while lower level enemies will eventually stop dropping them.

* Slash, Pierce, and Blunt damage types have been removed and rolled into just "Physical" damage. Having the three different types was confusing and it was difficult to communicate each to the player. It was also unclear at a glance what kind of weapon some monsters would be weak or strong to. Of course, elemental resistances still exist, and some monsters that didn't previously have them now do. (Also, weapon damage types for flavor text still exist.)

* There are now two types of healing foods for each primary stat (Health, Stamina, Energy) - one version that heals over a short time (5 turns) and another over a longer period (10) for a greater overall amount. NOTE: I changed Chicken Dinner to heal HP slowly over time.

* NEW ACCESSORY: Nord's Helm (boosts Strength and Spirit)
* NEW ACCESSORY: Obsidian Band (reduces ability Energy cost by 20%, but all abilities now cost +10% stamina)
* NEW MONSTER: Sludge Spirit (Floors 10+). He's gross! Ew!
* NEW CHAMPION MOD: Barrier. Stronger version of Turtling :D
* NEW MAGIC MODS (ARMOR): Hardened, Sheltering. Adds flat damage reduction to your armor.
* NEW MAGIC MODS (WEAPON): Deadly, Lethal. Adds % critical damage.
* NEW ITEM: Elixir. Super rare, but heals all stats to full :D

ENGINE
* All music now streams instead of decompressing, which means it should load/play faster
* Various adjustments to hotbar handling
* Rework of all list indexing logic (visual lists of buttons/items, such as in the shop)
* Removed V-Sync quality modes as I think they were negatively impacting performance with no benefit
* Minor optimizations in level generation and per-turn step

QUALITY OF LIFE
* When opening a portal to town, you now spawn further from it upon arrival
* In the equipment screen, you can now press "U" on any weapon in your hotbar to remove it from your hotbar (and unequip it, if it is currently equipped)
* In the combat log, damage YOU receive is now a different color than damage enemies take
* Paladin now gets a Blunt Training Sword as a starting weapon, to match the sprite. Likewise, the Floramancer gets a Spark Staff.
* You will no longer see fists in your hotbar if there is no weapon assigned. The boxes will simply be empty. (People were getting confused at the idea of having 4 fists/hands...)
* You now start with your starting weapon equipped
* Some jobs start with a consumable nearby spawn
* When equipping in offhand slot, items you have in your hotbar are now marked
* While swapping items on the Equipment screen, you can no longer accidentally switch to another slot
* The default binding for ability rotation is now "R" instead of "T"
* Floating ability shapes can now be rotated with mouse wheel
* The equipment screen and shop screens now show an item comparison when swapping or buying items
* Current money is now displayed on the character sheet (C)
* There is now a visual indicator when Guardian Spheres are about to explode
* Tweaks to item colors, including a 4th rarity color (for 4+ magic mods)
* When saving your game, the system will save to a new backup file. If an error occurs, your original save will not be corrupted. This is useful for debugging and not destroying progress!
* When you die, the game over screen will give you some basic stats about your death and the combat log will remain open.
* Added toggleable "Grid Overlay" in the options menu that places a transparent grid on the map

WRITING
* Katje -> Katy
* Tutorial NPC at the end of the bridge in town gives better advice
* Budoka - "Power Kick" -> "Palm Thrust"
* Rewrote / condensed many magic mod descriptions
* Cleaned up some writing in the ingame manual ("H")
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »

Aah, I'm eager to try this build--as per usual, I intend to download it later, and hopefully try it out soon! ^_^

The introduction of metagame elements is especially exciting! ^_^

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »

Aah, I'm eager to try this build--as per usual, I intend to download it later, and hopefully try it out soon! ^_^

The introduction of metagame elements is especially exciting! ^_^

I agree - I really like the banker concept.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:02 AM »

NEW BUILD!

New build links
WIN: http://tangledeep.com/builds/Tangledeep-LatestWinBuild.rar
OSX: http://tangledeep.com/builds/Tangledeep-LatestOSXBuild.zip

This is the last build pre-Kickstarter launch (tomorrow!) and mainly focuses on bug fixes, polish, and balance tweaks. Just a bit of new content this time. Once the KS launches I will dive back in to features and content, and will be making some larger changes such as making the dungeon deeper and making the difficulty curve a bit gentler (in some ways).

NOTE FOR NEW PLAYERS: HIT F1 FOR HELP!

ART/VISUAL
* More equipment screen visual cleanup
* Improved the info display when you hover over an ability (or weapon) on your hotbar
* Updated sprite font for numbers
* Skill icon update - now, all job skills are colored based on job
* Status effect icons are now bigger
* New attack animation for Floramancer's starting weapon
* New title screen art!

BALANCE
* Alchemists no longer have two AOE attacks, but their ranged attack is a little stronger.
* Summoned pets now scale a little more with the summoner's level
* Floramancer's Vine Swing now restores a bit more Energy when used
* Mint Herb and Mint Fat Brews (healing potions 1 & 2) now heal a flat amount instead of % based.
* Overall loot drop rate has been decreased slightly
* Consumables now drop less frequently.
* HP curve has been reduced somewhat
* Toughness perk has been reduced in power (it was scaling considerably higher than the regular HP curve)
* The overall number of champions spawning has been decreased
* The ICE/water debuff from Frosted Jellies now lasts longer
* Tornado Stance duration shortened by 1 turn
* Verdigrizzlies hit a little harder
* Final boss adds do more damage and have more HP
* Final boss itself has better stats
* Sludge Spirits can now add a debuff that reduces healing effectiveness by 50% ("Toxified") applied on hit and on ranged attack
* Swamp Toads now show up in the main dungeon floors, can no longer regen, but CAN knock you around
* Paladin SANCTUARY: Lasts longer, but now gets consumed when you attack or use an ability
* Craggans are more powerful overall.
* River and Ember Spirits have been buffed a bit
* Rock Vipers have also been buffed a bit
* Enemy Floracondas can now add Toxified on hit (33% chance)
* Some non-champion monsters were giving a little too much bonus XP; this has been toned down
* Swords now give a +3% chance to parry on top of auto-counter attacking when parrying
* Number of fountains per floor has been decreased
* King of Bandits has been toughened up

BUGS
* Flavor damage type ("crushes", "slices") should read properly now
* Banker's interface has proper headers now
* Fountain sprite draw order is fixed
* Your summoned pets will no longer run from you
* Fixed game over screen not restarting properly... again?
* When rotating abilities, the targeting indicator will no longer disappear sometimes
* Adjusted gridlines visual to not allow "half tiles"
* Lava and mud should really, really not overlap anymore
* Fixed buggy interaction with certain abilities and destructibles
* Fixed some UI weirdness on Job screen
* List of active skills on the Skill sheet now scrolls and wraps properly
* Inventory and equipment lists should now refresh selected item when scrolling the list down
* Adjustments to UI 'dead zones' where the mouse was not triggering movement
* Magic fountains should no longer spawn on top of one another
* You can no longer press UI buttons in the upper right while dead
* Sound mix settings now apply to the title screen
* King's Champions will no longer attack the King (lol)
* Reduced instances of flashing numbers in the bottom left

CONTENT/GAMEPLAY
* Budoka new ability: Qi Strike. Tricky to use, but deals heavy ranged damage and can strike vital points.
* NEW ACCESSORY: Claw of Violence - same stats as old Nord Helm
* NEW CONSUMABLE: Barrier Potion. Gives you +30% defense against elemental damage.
* NORD HELM: Now gives you a Nordic Shout that pushes enemies away
* NEW MONSTER: Dark Panthox. A nasty variation on the Cave Lion...

ENGINE
* Optimized 'ronin' monster behavior code by simplifying for now - may return to this later
* Game now runs at a max framerate of 144 (this will be an option later, 30/60/120/144 max)

QUALITY OF LIFE
* Julia (tutorial NPC) will now automatically talk to first-time players when you cross the bridge in town. This only happens once
* Level music, once assigned, will not be changed when you return to that floor
* "Loading" text has been added when you select Continue from the main screen
* Hovering over the Flask or Portal reveals info about each
* Hovering over weapons in your hotbar will reveal info about them
* Item comparisons now take into account block chance for shields
* Clarified display for damage resistance on items
* Default help binding is now "F1"
* New button for "Hide Player Hud", default mapped to H. A bit of a hacky workaround for dealing with issues when you can't click tiles due to UI...
* Added some help info in the banker's dialogue

WRITING
* "Hiding" magic mod now called "Stealth"
* Frog Swamp -> Frog Bog
* Swamp Toad -> Bog Frog
* CT gain on light armor is spelled out explicitly
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »

... one last build before the campaign launches ...

(Note: Builds include handy command list txt!)

BALANCE
* Many damage-dealing abilities can now critically hit, increasing their damage by 33%. These are generally abilities that do upfront damage, NOT status effects (bleeds, poisons), tile hazards, or damage-over-time. The base crit chance is 5%.

BUGS
* More attempts at blocking mouse movement while clicking on hotbar
* Mud and water tiles should no longer stack
* Fixed various problems with right-click pathfinding

ENGINE
* Minor optimizations to player right-click pathfinding
* Minor optimizations to vision blocking checks

QUALITY OF LIFE
* Right-click movement (pathfinding) has been improved. Now, the destination tile will remain locked as long as you hold the right mouse button down. Once you reach the destination, after a brief pause, you will begin pathfinding to a new destination. Also, your pathfinding will be cleared if you engage in some kind of non-movement action (attacking a monster, talking to an NPC)

* "Show Map" is now assigned to TAB by default, not M
* Removed the ridge collider in town, west of the bridge
* Several map objects like water, mud and lava which previously did not have hover displays... now do
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »

Thank you to everyone for your support of the game so far! Today, Tangledeep launched on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1363989456/tangledeep-a-dungeon-crawling-tribute-to-the-16-bi

I'm raising money for extra animations (walk cycles, attack animations for the player characters) plus special guest composers to make the game even more polished and awesome.

Already, composer Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3) has agreed to contribute a track and I couldn't be happier! :D
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »

Good luck with the Kickstarter! I hope that it goes well. ^_^ (It looks as though you've had a good start, at least!)

As per usual, I've downloaded the new version and intend to try it soon.

Speaking of which, I'm inclined now to guess that either I'm missing something from my WINE installation, or my Linux drivers aren't as good as my Windows drivers: a quick test in Windows 8.1 showed that one of the previous builds, which I believe ran slowly under WINE, ran quite well under Windows. I've also had at least one other case of a program seeming to run better under Windows than Linux--although that's a perhaps-muddier case, and didn't involve WINE.

As a result, I don't intend to report slowdowns in the future, should I encounter any, unless I try a build in Windows and encounter them there.

My apologies for any inconvenience that previous reports may have caused! :/

zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2017, 10:58:49 AM »

No no not at all. I've been continually optimizing the game and there are yet more things to do to get it running really well. Plus a native Linux build at some point.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »

Ah, I'm glad then!

And a native Linux build would be lovely! ^_^

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2017, 06:09:54 PM »

No surprise, but great to see how well you guys have done already! Seriously - I hope you have some stretch goals in mind Smiley

Can't WAIT to hear this soundtrack!

P.S. Any plans to release some of the SAC presets you've developed for this as a pack or anything?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
zircon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »

Basically all the sounds are straightforward out of the SNES sample set, no fancy layering happening :-) I'll do a video on it at some point though.

NEW BUILD!

IMPORTANT: Be sure to check the Options menu and set your new Cursor Repeat Delay setting to taste

Our Kickstarter has been going great, reaching nearly 75% funding in just a few days! This has also been the biggest audience ever playing the game, which means I've had LOTS of bugs to fix. That was the main focus of today's build, BUT I managed to get a bunch of other awesome features in like a drag-and-drop equipment UI, a number of new items, new magic mod, new champ mod, wandering & hidden merchants, new art, etc.

Enjoy!

ART/VISUALS
* More new skill + status icons
* Animated water v1!
* New art for recovery / buff effects
* New ice attack / shatter effects

BALANCE
* "Frozen" champions have been buffed: breaking their ice crystals now reduces your charge time and deals damage
* Non-projectile ranged weapons like spears now deal 25% less damage when attacking at range
* Budoka Palm Thrust: 20 -> 15 stamina

BUGS
* Disabled title screen fade-in. Was causing a black screen on some computers?
* Fixed nullref on game load (sorry)
* Fixed nullref on game restart and picking up items
* Fixed minor error related to deserializing terrain tiles (caused extra load time)
* Fixed some jank and errors in shop UI (especially with the map merchant)
* Added code to check for dead monsters each turn and get 'em off the map in case they were not removed before
* Increased leniency for map generation attempts to hopefully avoid total failures (maps full o' rock)
* Opening the Job screen no longer shows placeholder text on first open
* Hovering over buffs/debuffs shows information again
* Pressing numpad 5 now skips turn, like I said it would in the help text
* If a creature absorbs damage, it will no longer take 1 damage, but 0.
* The keyboard in examine mode (X) now has a 'cooldown' so it doesn't go nuts
* Fixed bug with dropping items from your inventory or equipment, which was causing exceptions
* Monsters that "Love Battles" will no longer be attracted to non-battles automatically
* Obsidian Bands will actually drop now
* The Banker will no longer periodically get rid of your items
* Fixed some inconsistencies in shop, inventory, equipment UI and hovering
* Pathfinding highlight square should no longer get 'stuck' visibly on the map when mouse buttons are up
* Options Menu: All options should now work when clicked on (previously, only keyboard worked for about half)
* Fixed display problem where Steadfast energy shields visually stacked
* Toggled abilities with stamina/energy requirements will now stop working when you drop below that requirement
* Abilities no longer crit 100% of the time
* Fixed bad behavior/errors in the first boss fight... Caused by healing monsters searching to heal monsters on OTHER FLOORS WOW BAD F-.
* Player's combat list is now cleared when switching floors

CONTENT/GAMEPLAY
* You will now find Armor, Jewelry and Bow/Ranged merchants hidden in the dungeon!
* Also, wandering merchants will now occasionally visit Riverstone Camp. (You'll get a message about this)
* Planks will now randomly spawn in water, giving you a way to easily walk over it without penalty!
* New champion mod: BLAZING. The champion's attacks will set you aflame, and they will constantly summon burning fires all around. Not only do the fires hurt you, but they heal the champion!
* NEW MAGIC MOD (Weapons): Bandit Slaying
* NEW ACCESSORY: Tier 4 helmet (phys resist/HP)
* NEW ACCESSORY: Necro Band
* NEW WEAPON: Flail (unique weapon type)
* NEW WEAPON: Sickle (unique weapon type)
* NEW WEAPON: Bone Dagger (mid-tier dagger)
* NEW LIGHT ARMOR: Runic Garb

QUALITY OF LIFE
* Left mouse button now defaults to pathfind, while right mouse button is the direct-line move.
* The equipment screen has been remodeled for improved mouse control. You can now use the mouse to simply drag equipment to the slot of your choice, using the Filter buttons on the right to narrow down the displayed equipment list. You no longer need to click slots or items to swap - just drag and drop.
* Identical consumables are now combined in your inventory and show quantities in parenthesis! Hooray!
* When using keyboard to move through mud, if you are rooted, your movement will stop until you press the key again
* Hovering over / examining that staircase will display where it goes. Also, standing on the staircase will print the destination in your combat log
* Character screen now shows how much damage your critical hits do
* Summoned pets should no longer steal powerups
* New options for FRAME CAP and CURSOR REPEAT DELAY. Frame Cap sets to 30, 60, 120, or 144fps. Good for throttling CPU/GPU and temps. The latter applies to using the keyboard when navigating menus.
* An animation/sfx will play when you get a powerup
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic