Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:46:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting FLIP!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: FLIP!  (Read 1056 times)
GGfpc
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »

Hey guys, I'm working on a minimal endless runner where you can flip gravity to avoid perils.

You can play it here https://ggfpc.github.io

Press SPACE to flip gravity and UP directional key to jump.

I'd like to know what you think, but keep in mind I'm new to this and it's still very early in development.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:13:40 AM by GGfpc » Logged
RedHickory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »

I like the minimalist look, and the gameplay was smooth.  You might want to add something in the background or elsewhere to indicate the block is actually moving, because right at first I sat there for a second or two thinking nothing was happening.  It's only a second at the beginning of each run, but it's long enough sitting and looking at nothing happening to be a little strange.  Other than that I liked the mechanics and the overall feel of the game.

My browser-based RPG (WIP) - Chronicles of Tright.
GGfpc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 04:17:10 AM »

I like the minimalist look, and the gameplay was smooth.  You might want to add something in the background or elsewhere to indicate the block is actually moving, because right at first I sat there for a second or two thinking nothing was happening.  It's only a second at the beginning of each run, but it's long enough sitting and looking at nothing happening to be a little strange.  Other than that I liked the mechanics and the overall feel of the game.

Thanks for the feedback! May I ask how far you got in the game? Was it fun, challenging or boring? Would you play it regularly?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:03:10 PM »

I got to 8 or 10 or so. It would be nice if you could flip gravity while you were jumping, not being able to is what got me.

GGfpc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:01:33 AM »

I got to 8 or 10 or so. It would be nice if you could flip gravity while you were jumping, not being able to is what got me.

Thanks for your input, will definitely consider it. What did you think about the game otherwise?
GGfpc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 02:39:07 PM »

NEW VERSION

New additions:

- Added collectibles (To be used as in game currency in future versions to buy retries and cosmetic items, the game will not have real money in app purchases)

- Fixed bug where player could jump while falling from a platform

Next up:

- Portals!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:46:32 PM by GGfpc » Logged
CalebGameTester
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »

I played it for a couple of tries and got to level 10. I will play it more when you have more updates!

[Feedback]
I really enjoy the art style - the particle effects when you collect the collectables and when you die to the spikes.

It would be neat to add some sound to the game for when you jump, change gravity, or do certain actions, but I am sure you will add that later.

Oh, and a PAUSE button would really help! Especially if you are really far and don't want to die but have to go somewhere.

The sticky blocks are hard because they move pretty fast so it is hard to react before you go off the screen. So maybe slow them down a bit.

[To Add]
You could add some kind of like life system so if you hit the spikes you loose a life.

With that you could add store items like armor and extra lives that you could buy.

For collectables you could add a counter with the icon beside it to show how many you have for that run.

Also maybe have a score system for the distance you run so the player can keep track!

[Conclusion]
It is pretty fun and challenging and would be a great phone app to play when bored or waiting for something.
Will be cool to see the next updates for the game!
Good luck!
CalebGameTester
GGfpc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »

I played it for a couple of tries and got to level 10. I will play it more when you have more updates!

[Feedback]
I really enjoy the art style - the particle effects when you collect the collectables and when you die to the spikes.

It would be neat to add some sound to the game for when you jump, change gravity, or do certain actions, but I am sure you will add that later.

Oh, and a PAUSE button would really help! Especially if you are really far and don't want to die but have to go somewhere.

The sticky blocks are hard because they move pretty fast so it is hard to react before you go off the screen. So maybe slow them down a bit.

[To Add]
You could add some kind of like life system so if you hit the spikes you loose a life.

With that you could add store items like armor and extra lives that you could buy.

For collectables you could add a counter with the icon beside it to show how many you have for that run.

Also maybe have a score system for the distance you run so the player can keep track!

[Conclusion]
It is pretty fun and challenging and would be a great phone app to play when bored or waiting for something.
Will be cool to see the next updates for the game!
Good luck!
CalebGameTester

Thanks for your input. I agree with everything. I plan on adding sound after I'm done with the gameplay.

I want to add an option to continue if you die by spending some collectibles or maybe watching an add if the player doesn't want to start over.

Definitely having a store to buy cosmetic items such as new color schemes and characters and maybe lives like you said.

Regarding the scoring system, that's the big number in the background, maybe I should make it update faster?

Today I added a pause button and a counter for the collectibles like you asked.

GGfpc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 04:29:09 PM »

NEW UPDATE!

New additions:

- Today I revamped the UI and added a Pause button.

Next up

- Getting the Portals done.

CalebGameTester
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 07:22:51 PM »

Thanks for your input. I agree with everything. I plan on adding sound after I'm done with the gameplay.
No problem! That would be awesome!
I want to add an option to continue if you die by spending some collectibles or maybe watching an add if the player doesn't want to start over.

Definitely having a store to buy cosmetic items such as new color schemes and characters and maybe lives like you said.
That would make the game a lot more replayability!
Regarding the scoring system, that's the big number in the background, maybe I should make it update faster?
Yea probably unless it is like certain levels? Since the colors change at 5 intervals right? Maybe have a separate distance level on the top of the screen.
Today I added a pause button and a counter for the collectibles like you asked.
Great now I can grab some snacks and then keep playing! Smiley

Will try it again soon!

GGfpc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »

New Update!

I have added the Portals and played around with the progression.
I've also made some adjustments to the UI

Next I'll be working on music.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic