Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:24:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBranching Paths - Documentary about Doujin and Indies in Japan
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Branching Paths - Documentary about Doujin and Indies in Japan  (Read 1138 times)
Elsaess
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »

Has anyone watched this?

What I thought was interesting was how developed the doujin culture is, despite not being centred on profit or seemingly much of a business model. To me this culture sounds appealing.

What do people think of the indie gaming scene in Japan? Is the influence of Western indies a positive, or do you think there's an element of homogenisation there?

Downwell looks like the most successful game from the film, and it reminds me of what my lecturer once said about Japanese cinema: the Japanese films that were most successful in the West (and which were enjoyed for their exoticising of the East) were those that more closely aligned with Western cinematic forms whilst retaining smaller elements of Japanese culture, whereas the films that were more intensely Japanese often alienated Western audiences.

The creator of Downwell says in the film that many of his peers said that Downwell played more  like a Western game.

It was a good documentary, definitely worthwhile for those of you considering checking it out.
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »

I watched it on Steam when it was released, and I enjoyed it.
It's a solid documentary and gives some good perspective.

Also it was kind of funny seeing some people I know in the movie.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 10:18:59 AM »

I asked about foreign tigsources in another thread and was told that this was the most popular one (!) ... la mulana 2 is still being made, right?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic