Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:59:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Witness / Jonathan Blow / Braid / Game Design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Witness / Jonathan Blow / Braid / Game Design  (Read 622 times)
draffauf
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »

I did a podcast with my thoughts on Jonathan Blow's design process and how The Witness and Braid seemed to fit or not fit. None of my friends have played The Witness or follow game design so it would be great to read your thoughts on it.

http://davidraffauf.com/podcast/episode-2-the-witness-braid-jonathan-blow/#more-293
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:22:36 AM »

Hey man, nice podcast. I liked your critique on The Witness; very balanced and un-biased.

My biggest gripe with the game is that even though token-rewards have been extrinsically removed, there is still a dangling carrot in front of you no matter how abstract it is in comparison to "normal" games.

Therefor the game can be quite symbolically obtuse.
draffauf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:41:47 AM »

Haiken, thanks!

I agree about the rewards. The reward was unlocking the mysteries of the island and learning the story of the island, but that never quite paid off for me.

It was a bit of a let down when I realized the real reward was simply more puzzles. I think that would work in a 5-10hr game, but at 20-40hrs it lost some appeal.

It's still a great game and an amazing accomplishment for such a small team.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic