Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:32:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAlong Came Humans! - Sci-fi colonization game
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Along Came Humans! - Sci-fi colonization game  (Read 15551 times)
Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2016, 05:13:47 AM »

Not much of an update today, but a picture to share with y'all. I have been integrating the space related simulation code into the game, and in my down time started mocking up some graphics for the space station.

The idea is to let the player construct nodes off of which other space station modules can be attached.

In the example, there is the station centre, connected to it is the hanger on the bottom side, and 2 solar arrays. On the top side is another station node. (The O ring). There is 3 docks attached to this station node along with another 2 solar arrays.

Bow that I have some graphics to work with, it also gives me a sense of scale for how big everything will be in the game World!

badrobit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2016, 08:44:15 AM »

Wow this looks amazing!!  My Word!

If you have the time a GIF of ships coming and going from your station would be very cool to see!
gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2016, 11:25:15 PM »

really cool, I love sun and the planet from distance!

do you plan to add more planets types or sun types ?

Blog | Last game Number+
kairunotabi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2016, 11:39:30 PM »

This looks so good! I'm thirsty for an RTS Economic Sim and this, this is definitely what I want to play! Keep up the awesome work!
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »

Really like the look of this game :D

Mannapi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »

This game looks beautiful and fun!

As for instance rendering, you could bake the animations into a texture to get more complicated motion.
The timeline would be the vertical 'axis' (U coordinate) and you could have position, and rotation in separate lines in the same texture.

All instances share the animation texture, and you could vary the timing offsets per instance. (The starting U lookup value.)

You could even store animations for all different models in the same texture, simply varying the V coordinate in the lookup.

Hope I am making myself understood.

Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2016, 04:31:10 PM »

Hey, thanks for the kind words as usual ya'll. I have been on a small hiatus, I am back to it now!

@Gornova Still playing with planet type ideas. I like that the climate system is essentially on a slider (planet biomes are controlled by temperature, which can slide back and forth between cold/hot, which changes the planet biome ice/forest/desert.). I DO want to have other planet types, but I have not figured it how they will 'fit in' yet. And yeah, planning to have different size/colored suns!

@Mannapi
That is a really cool idea! And the ability to atlas the animation information is really cool, too. I will definitely look in to this a little more when I get further in to instancing. Right now the biggest issue with instancing is that I am CPU bound, I have to keep calling DrawMesh (or DrawMeshInstanced in 5.5b), every frame. This is really killing performance. Unity mentioned they have a solution which is a 'persistent' version of these functions. (ie call 'DrawMeshPersistant' and you dont have to call it again until you are done with it). This feature is not ready yet!

On another note, Killscreen wrote an article about ACH, you can read it here. Awesome!  Gentleman

gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »

Thanks, I suggest you to take a look into Stellaris from Paradox: a lot of different stars, planet types (rock, gas giant, with rings like Saturn, rock orbiting around gas giants), asteroid belts and all combinations between!

Blog | Last game Number+
Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2016, 04:30:49 AM »

Definitely a great source of inspiration! Just need to figure out a way to make sure planet types aren't completely static, but at the same time ensuring the system is easy to understand so the player can make use of the terraforming feature!

whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 04:16:10 AM »

Just want to say that I am ALL OVER this game and its direction - cannot emphasize just how much this is up my alley. Resource management and production and distribution and ugh, just yes. All the yes. Looking awesome, keep up the great work, and I love the name. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »

Thanks Whistlerat!

Been putting more work in to the ship visualisation. The image above was a mockup, but I am finally at a point where I can put together the gif that @badrobit requested!

Dont have an animation for the starlink yet (it should be launching a rocket with the supplies from the surface to the station while the ship waits, I am just going to leave that out for now and move on to other things!)

badrobit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2016, 05:45:09 PM »

Gentleman

Seriously this looks amazing! I cannot wait to see what comes next.
gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2016, 11:28:48 PM »

when a Space ElevatorGentleman

Blog | Last game Number+
Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2016, 05:11:06 AM »

Haha, will be coming eventually. More important things to take care of right now Wink

Next step is to add some UI to give orders to freighters. Once this is done, I can start testing and playing around with planatery trade routes and balancing things. Get a true feel for the game, long over due I think haha.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:08:05 AM by Prodigga » Logged

badrobit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2016, 07:41:01 AM »

Was wondering how things were going? It's been pretty quiet in here lately  Smiley
Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2016, 03:36:27 AM »

I've got a confession to make badrobit, I've been working on another side project  Who, Me?

I am planning to give ACH's a bit of a break and come back to it with fresh eyes later. There is a special place in my heart for a game like ACH's. I know exactly what type of game I want it to 'feel' like, but what I have (so far) is missing the mark. I just need to put it down for a bit and come back to it. So I am going to be focusing on a different project in the mean time.

Anyway sorry for the lack of communication! I plan to make a TIG thread for the side project I am working on soon for those interested.  Smiley

badrobit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2016, 06:34:36 AM »

haha thanks for the update! I totally get that, trust me Smiley Would love to see a thread for your new project too!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you get back to this! I love what it looks like it is going to be so you should always do what you think is best to make the game what you want it to be!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic