Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:40:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Office Pie" - a game about being a new intern at an office (Nov 20: new gifs)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Office Pie" - a game about being a new intern at an office (Nov 20: new gifs)  (Read 2405 times)
2DArray
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »

Ahoy there!

We've been working on a massive VR project (at least by our team's scale), and hoo-boy, it's got a very long mid-section.  To alleviate the dreariness of the mid-project doldrums, we're making a quick side-project.  We're only a few days in, but I think there's already some amount of fun/cute/derpy stuff to see.

It's called Office Pie, and it's an game set in a corporate workspace.  "Office pie" is the kind of pie that you eat in an office.  Don't worry; you won't actually do much work here.  You will have a checklist, though.  A playthrough will probably take about 20-30 minutes to complete, once it's all finished.

It's been super fun to work with voxel art so far - it's insanely fast to produce assets compared to a "full-on" modeling process.  We've been using MagicaVoxel, which isn't perfect (particularly, it's missing a "drag selection" feature), but it's free and has worked very comfortably for me so far.  Plus it has this goofy button for exporting isometric pixel art from your voxels...which is kind of hilarious, but could maybe serve as a base for a pixel artist to add detail to?

If a pixel artist was good at their art, maybe it'd be faster for them to just do it in 2D the first time.  I dunno.  Whatever.  It has an automagic pixel-art button, and that makes me laugh.

A neat side-effect of using voxel art is that we can very easily switch between an "isometric view" and a "3/4 view" by rotating the camera in 45 degree increments:

It's tough to talk about the plans for Office Pie without spoiling the fun, so instead we're just going to be sharing some early builds - up until the point when we reach spoiler territory.

We plan to release the game on itch.io for a few dollars, and then possibly take it to Steam later.

In this first build, you're controlling three characters with the same input.  This isn't how the actual game will work, but we're testing some animation retargeting features with different skeletons, and I haven't implemented any AI for NPCs yet.

Some info about our animation:

- There's one walk animation; two steps straight forward
- Feet plant to the ground during this animation by remembering all contact points and using IK for the legs
- Couch and vending machine animations are entirely based on IK mixed with the idle animation:  there's no imported animation clip, and instead the motion is described in the inspector

This is the animation data for interacting with the vending machine (the "Marker" objects are empty gameObjects, marking target positions and sometimes orientations):

WASD to move, spacebar to interact (right now this only works on the couches and the two vending machines - more over time), Q+E to rotate the camera, and hold the 1 key to play a little tester "squatting" animation.  Press tab to toggle slo-mo, if you want to see the character movement in detail (or if you have "Still D.R.E." playing in another tab).

Still a tech demo for now, but:
Click here to play the WebGL build

There are some silly bugs if you make somebody run into somebody else while they're interacting with an object.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:54:29 AM by 2DArray » Logged
samloeschen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:40:25 AM »

Looks awesome like everything else you guys do. The IK stuff you guys are doing with voxel-based models is particularly interesting. Can't wait to see where this goes

Programmer/Artist for Remote Games.
Currently working on Silent Earth.
TIG Devlog | Twitter | Itch.io
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 08:26:08 AM »

I've been recently watching The Office (for the first time! Don't flame me  Wink ). I've been on such a kick with it that this caught my eye. I'm at work at the moment, ironically, but I will absolutely check it out as I get home.

Neat atmosphere! I hope the pie is tasty.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
2DArray
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »

WOWEE, I sure didn't keep this thread updated.

I'm going to pretend that I didn't have time because I've been so busy working on the game, but in reality it's just because I forgot.

Office Pie has made some great progress since the last time I showed it here (when it was basically a tech demo).  It's got some substance now!  Lucky for us, I've been recording a bunch of gifs.  I'm only embedding the relatively small ones, which is about half of this collection - so make sure you click the link at the end if you want to see the full set!

Dialogue Chat Bubbles

The IT Guy is pretty stoked about these infinitely-respawning papers.  The Janitor will not be.

Testing out a Unity plugin called "Final IK"

Goofy animation bug.  You must learn to sit and stand with authority.

Alpha-cutout shaders for fun and profit

This guy calls himself the Paperman

A part of something called the Bullshit Machine.  People get assigned to it as punishment

The other half of the Bullshit Machine

A fancy mirror effect that I found on the internet

A drink-splashing effect that I hooked up yesterday.  The magic trick is that it only uses two ParticleSystems:  One for all the midair dots, and one for all the decals - including decals that are attached to moving objects (!!!)

Hooookay, if you want to see the full set of clips (21 recordings, compared to 10 here), here's the full album.

If you want to keep up to date with this project and other stuff we're working on (in case I forget to update this thread again...), you can check out my Twitter account (which is where I uploaded all of these clips originally).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:15:27 AM by 2DArray » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic