Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:32:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Mushroom Engine
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Mushroom Engine  (Read 19535 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »

Hello, gentlemen!

So, I put here that Jump On Mushrooms: The Game some time ago, and it got quite a positive response! Nicklas 'Nifflas' Nygren was interested in the concept, and wanted to remake the game, this time with his awesome skills. I of course helped him, but he did all the really hard work. And so The Mushroom Engine was born! The game also has some very cool musics, made by D_Fast!

This time the game is based on a database-like application, and you select the worlds from it. Everything in the worlds is external, which means that you can create your own levels now. More about that in the ReadMe -file.

The gameplay is the same as earlier, though now the game screen is much much bigger. For those who don't know how the game works, I wont spoil it here, try and see yourself! The ReadMe should explain everything needed, if you're confused. Nifflas has also added some new things, which make the game a lot harder! Evil

Screenshot (cut down a bit):

Download link:
www.hempuli.com/MEngine.zip

Remember though that this is still almost the same game, so don't expect anything super-special! Smiley

Oh, and now the game doesn't rewind when you die, only when you complete the game!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:45:19 AM by Hempuli » Logged

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:22:34 PM »

This was really cool. It is super funny to watch yourself in the replay too, because the levels look totally simple and Mario keeps hesitating and proceeding with caution.

The music playing backwards is another classy touch Smiley I'm really glad I downloaded this to play.

My one gripe would be this: Only the things that you interact with actually show up in the replay. It would seem to me that all the coins could appear, since by definition you avoided all the other coin positions, so there is no harm showing them.

I think this could be really funny, because in the replay you would see Mario obviously avoiding coins left and right. The other thing that could be funny is to make all the untaken coin slots into "poison coins" or something... So then it would make sense to watch Mario avoid them in the replay.

And if there was some way to tweak how the goombas functioned? I was wondering why I could just run by the dead bodies while I was playing. I couldn't understand how the replay was going to handle that. And then I found out that it doesn't, they just don't spawn. It is a tricky problem though, I agree.

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »

I found it kind of frustrating: sometimes I die because I don't do something exactly right and then have to start all over again only to again not get it quite right.  I know you have to guess how to do things, but oftentimes I just punch at it a few times before hitting the arbitrary solution, only to die two seconds later because I missed some other arbitrary chain of events.  Maybe a (fairly frequent) checkpoint system would help?

Or is there a checkpoint system and I suck too bad to even get that far...

I felt the same way about the previous version of the game and didn't get far in it.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »

If you read the readme, it spells out all the things you can do wrong. My game kept ending and I couldn't figure out why- it was because you start with a certain number of coins you have to "uncollect" if you uncollect any more than that, it rewinds. I hadn't even noticed the coin counter when I started playing.

But yeah-- read the file and it explains exactly what you should (not) be doing.

JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »

If you read the readme, it spells out all the things you can do wrong. My game kept ending and I couldn't figure out why- it was because you start with a certain number of coins you have to "uncollect" if you uncollect any more than that, it rewinds. I hadn't even noticed the coin counter when I started playing.

But yeah-- read the file and it explains exactly what you should (not) be doing.
Pshaw.  Why would I read a "readme" file?

You got me.  I didn't read that.
JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »

Ok, that was still difficult enough in a kind of hard to follow way that I never want to do it again, but at least I could do it.  The "touching a coin twice" thing doesn't make a lot of sense.  For a longer experience I could see toning it down.

The payoff of seeing GENERIC ITALIAN PLUMBER clumsily jerk his way through the level was hilarious, though.

I am definitely better for the experience.  Thanks, GENERIC ITALIAN PLUMBER.

EDIT: The death by "falling" is what got me.  It makes total sense in retrospect, but it is amazingly hard to judge at times.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:47:45 PM by JoeHonkie » Logged
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »

Cool game. Kind of tedious at times, but I did play it from start to end. Really well made too, and the game concept is pure genius!

The "touching a coin twice" thing doesn't make a lot of sense.  For a longer experience I could see toning it down.
Then how would you explain touching it before getting it in the replay? Wink
JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »

When Mario gets a coin in the game, it's not like he can never hit that same spot again.  Just doesn't follow for me.  Reviewing the old thread I swear I saw someone else say this, too.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »

yeah- technically you could just pick up the coin the second time you hit that spot. So the first time you "uncollect" it would then be a false positive of sorts, since your future self is going to "uncollect" it earlier in the forward timeline.

Oh crap. Now my head hurts.

I think this is an awesome concept, but yeah, for a longer game some of these other issues need to have slightly more elegant solutions.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 09:02:17 PM »

Pshaw.  Why would I read a "readme" file?

You got me.  I didn't read that.

You learn something new everyday, eh? Grin

The coin uncollection thing wasn't included in the original game, but seems like Nifflas added it to this version. Anyway, I guess we'll keep it there since it adds some extra frustration to the game. And Who Wouldn't Like Frustration? Wink

JoeHonkie - I can understand your concerns here. We just tried to make the game be as 'accurate' as possible in it's topic.

Sisyphus
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:53:23 AM »

Great! Thanks a lot  Smiley!
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »

tried it first and thought ? ? ? ? but then after scanning through the readme it made sense.
well done! the game is fun and the concept is awesome!

will there be an updated version with more levels or is this the final version already?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:37:11 PM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »

will there be an updated version with more levels or is this the final version already?

I guess this'll be the last version, at least the engine is fully working now. I might create another world there, though. We'll see. Smiley

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 01:47:05 AM »

I guess this'll be the last version, at least the engine is fully working now. I might create another world there, though. We'll see. Smiley

allright, that would be great.  Smiley

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 03:12:43 AM »

Why is Nifflas's name in bold?
JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 05:00:49 AM »

Why is Nifflas's name in bold?

Because people seem to like him?
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 05:05:23 AM »

Because, as I can see it, every name is bold in that post (when they're first mention). I'm gonna go on a limb and say it's because they've been credited for helping in the creation of this game.
JoeHonkie
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 05:09:53 AM »

Why is "your own levels" in bold?  Who does such a thing?  This is an outrage!
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 05:28:47 AM »

I bolded the names to give credit to the people, since for example D_Fast's name could easily get lost into the text. Also, the "your own levels" is in bold for advertising purposes. That way the customer sees right away that he can create stuff with this, too! :D

Adamski, I know you hate Nifflas, but please keep it to yourself. It somewhat annoys me that you must point out things like that. Sad

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 06:21:10 AM »

'Twas a fun game like the last one. Good job all of you.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic