Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:09:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Mushroom Engine
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Mushroom Engine  (Read 19574 times)
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »

This (or possibly the original version) was featured in swedish gaming mag Super PLAY this month.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »

Man, why do you Swedes get a gaming magazine?  I'm pretty sure there isn't a Canadian one, and if there is, it probably sucks... Sad
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 05:18:17 AM »

This (or possibly the original version) was featured in swedish gaming mag Super PLAY this month.

Oh wowie! Hmph, I should maybe try to look that up, whichever it was.

Man, why do you Scandinavians get a gaming magazine?  I'm pretty sure there isn't a Canadian one, and if there is, it probably sucks... Sad

Luke
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 05:10:41 AM »

Hi, glad to see a better version of your concept. I had a very similar idea, but nothing beyond maps drawn on paper, so it's fantastic to have a working game and an editor to use freely  Gentleman

I haven't checked if it was already known, but I've found a possible paradox/error: in my map you can "exit" the stage without un-killing all the goombas.

bye
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 06:44:52 AM »

Man, why do you Swedes get a gaming magazine?  I'm pretty sure there isn't a Canadian one, and if there is, it probably sucks... Sad

Whoa, seriously, no Canadian Gaming Magazines? That's nuts.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

This is a really clever and original game, and even sort of fun when you get the hang of things. I love the Mario music parodies, and the backwards music/sound. A very inspiring concept that is well-executed.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 06:06:27 PM »

Whoa, seriously, no Canadian Gaming Magazines? That's nuts.

None that are specifically Canadian. U.S. made Gaming Magazines are pretty easy to obtain, honestly. He's exaggerating a bit.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 07:24:17 PM »

When Mario gets a coin in the game, it's not like he can never hit that same spot again.  Just doesn't follow for me.  Reviewing the old thread I swear I saw someone else say this, too.

The trick is, the first time you touch a coin, you "uncollect" it. This means, because you're playing in reverse, you collected that coin at time T. If you pass through that point at an earlier time, time T - 2 lets say, then you would have collected it THEN, so you COULDN'T have collected it at time T.

Another way to think of it is that you would have been OK to pass through it at time T, if it hadn't "uncollected" it. But the game rules have to work differently than that, because the game can't predict that you will walk through that spot again at time T - 2.
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 06:45:27 AM »

When Mario gets a coin in the game, it's not like he can never hit that same spot again.  Just doesn't follow for me.  Reviewing the old thread I swear I saw someone else say this, too.

The trick is, the first time you touch a coin, you "uncollect" it. This means, because you're playing in reverse, you collected that coin at time T. If you pass through that point at an earlier time, time T - 2 lets say, then you would have collected it THEN, so you COULDN'T have collected it at time T.

Another way to think of it is that you would have been OK to pass through it at time T, if it hadn't "uncollected" it. But the game rules have to work differently than that, because the game can't predict that you will walk through that spot again at time T - 2.

This is technically true, but it makes the game somewhat more difficult than needed. Additionally, why can't it just resolve? why not have it play the un-collect animation again and then when it replays everything cut the later collection out? The entire point of the game is that everything should make sense when played forward instead of backward, but this part doesn't. It leads to Mario avoiding a coin repeatedly before eventually collecting it.

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »

I think the game could just assume that the last time (the first time when in reverse) you pass through that spot is when it was collected, and all others were just re-passing that same spot - but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. It makes it look kind of weird when things are played back forwards, but at the same time, it's kind of interesting to have a game where part of the challenge is *not* collecting things. It goes along with the reverse Mario theme, and I like the... irony? is it irony? of coins suddenly becoming an obstacle.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »

If you didn't have the coin-collecting mechanic work the way it does, the game would be much much easier. At any rate I think it fits well with the logic of the game, and makes it more challenging. Even if it could work another way, it would be a lot less interesting!

But I agree with showing all the coins on the replay. That way you could see mario avoid touching coins, which would be awesome. Hehe =)
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »

But I agree with showing all the coins on the replay. That way you could see mario avoid touching coins, which would be awesome. Hehe =)
That's actually my major complaint with it. Go figure.

Biggerfish
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 04:58:44 AM »

I really want to enjoy the game and it's a brilliant concept, but I'm not good enough at the moment to finish it.

Like mentioned, I find the "don't touch coins twice" rule to be frustrating, it makes the whole things harder, but at the same time I only get affected by it if I'm not thinking (as a little, "fuck you!" death after I'm doing well).

I also find the jumps hard to judge, and I die a lot because of that (it's more of a frustrating death as well, since I don't know exactly how far I can jump, etc).

That being said, I'm going to work on getting better at it because I really want to see it in reverse! It's a great concept and the rest of the game is great (I really like the way you pixel). The backwards sound was a neat touch as well.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic