Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:09:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndie horror game marketing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie horror game marketing  (Read 879 times)
mongoose665
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »

Hi everyone, so far the solo-developed indie horror game Archimedes is making a little progress on Steam Greenlight which is great. I can attribute a large amount of the success to being selected to be a part of Groupees' current Game Gems sale bundle (here by the way: https://groupees.com/gems4, and I must say the guys that run it are awesome.

Another great form of advertising to do is become an active part of the community, join as many relevant Facebook groups as you can and forums on the matter and let people see your game, don't push or shove, just show. The right people often end up coming.

A big problem I had is that the game is quite unique in the manner of playing it, the game itself uses real-world puzzles outside of the actual game, meaning Youtubers won't exactly stream a let's play as it'd show their computer outside of the game. So it sounds simple enough, but either try and make your game marketable, or come up with a unique selling point that you can throw in the punchline when sending your game out to Youtubers, companies, etc.

One huge thing I've learned is the the premier day of your game on Greenlight is the most important day of its life. Due to the first video trailer I used not being up to scratch, it garnered some bad attention, and it sat at about a 28% Yes vote. A week later and it's sitting at 48% Yes votes and 41% of the way to the top of the Top 100 Steam Greenlight games.
Hope this has helped someone somewhere, and would love if you guys could vote for it on Steam (But only if you want to Wink)

Greenlight page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751296567

clowcode
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »

Hey, mongoose665. Thank you for sharing your Greenlight story. My game was posted on Greenlight just a day after yours, and it had a very similar experience. It had 29% Yes vote and has not gained traction since the first day, but I am going to take your advice and start being active in groups that contain my target audience.

Archimedes is very unique by the way, and creativity is definitely something the world needs more of!
mongoose665
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:30:55 AM »

Hey, mongoose665. Thank you for sharing your Greenlight story. My game was posted on Greenlight just a day after yours, and it had a very similar experience. It had 29% Yes vote and has not gained traction since the first day, but I am going to take your advice and start being active in groups that contain my target audience.

Archimedes is very unique by the way, and creativity is definitely something the world needs more of!

That's awesome! Actually after the first day I think I got to about 22 percent or so, and then by about the 2nd/3rd day it hit 28 or so. Right now it's actually sitting at 50% which is great, this in turn was due to a few things, with the promotion in lots of forums, groups and such, and another thing being contacting people who'd like to play it. Spent many countless nights trawling for small-mid Youtubers who'd play my game, targeting very specific ones, and emailed about 50 or so personally. Had 1 or 2 replies, but one of them actually put a whole Let's Play on his channel and called it the freakiest game he's ever played. He has 43 000 subs which is great, and higher-caliber than I was aiming for. Generally some things to check in choosing a Youtuber were how active they were, what sort of games they played, what their description said about what they do/do not do, how many views/subs they are and how they correlate with each other, the types of videos they do and if they're fit for your game, etc etc. Keep me updated on how it goes!
clowcode
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »

Wow, that's pretty rough. Even with all that hard work, it's difficult to make much of a dent in the targeted group. However, it's amazing that you developed these additional analytical skills during marketing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic