Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:26:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Help with pixel-animated explosions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with pixel-animated explosions  (Read 846 times)
koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2016, 02:01:18 AM »

Hey,

I am working on a little turn based game and struggling to make some clean and fitting explosions. Would you have some advice for me on how could I improve this? Or maybe some tutorials on how to do this properly?

Here is what I have now:

Thanks a lot

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
eliasfrost
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 03:03:09 AM »

I like the left explosion, it fits the rest of the art better than the right one. It just requires a little bit more work. Give it the same smoke after-treatment you gave the right one and I think it will look really good!

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 08:57:51 AM »

I also like the left one more, but you could probably make it redder, as well as adding some dark smoke towards the end Smiley
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 11:00:58 AM »

It depends on how fluid the other animations are in the game. I like the fluidity of the right one, but if everything else is animated like Advance Wars, then the left one would fit better.

Maybe the right one could be red like the left one?
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 03:31:33 AM »

I like the left one more as well. The one on the right has more frames, and thus looks more fluid. I second the other suggestions here: maybe you could mix both.

koalefant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 06:57:52 AM »

I like the left explosion, it fits the rest of the art better than the right one. It just requires a little bit more work. Give it the same smoke after-treatment you gave the right one and I think it will look really good!
I also like the left one more, but you could probably make it redder, as well as adding some dark smoke towards the end Smiley

Cheers! Now I am figuring out now how one can draw smoke in a similar style =)

It depends on how fluid the other animations are in the game. I like the fluidity of the right one, but if everything else is animated like Advance Wars, then the left one would fit better.

Maybe the right one could be red like the left one?

Right, I am definitely want it to be more saturated that the right one.

I like the left one more as well. The one on the right has more frames, and thus looks more fluid. I second the other suggestions here: maybe you could mix both.

I thank everyone for their suggestions!

Working on a grappling-hook game about frogs DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic