Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:55:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsConvicted Galaxy - prison break in Space [Demo] {Steam Early Access}
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Convicted Galaxy - prison break in Space [Demo] {Steam Early Access}  (Read 6363 times)
Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »

UPDATE: We are now on Steam Greenlight. Please vote for us on Steam Greenlight.
UPDATE: We will be on Steam (we got Greenlit)! Thanks to everyone who checked us out and voted.

UPDATE: We are on Steam! Our Store Page and Community Hub are active. You can find our Demo there too! Smiley

Stranded in an unknown galaxy full of escaped prisoners, you must find a way out. The escaped prisoners grow stronger with every passing moment. Build space stations and support structures around planets, upgrade your ship, and siege enemy locations in an effort to gain strength while weakening the enemy. Take risks when necessary, but don't forget that you only have one chance.

Website
Presskit
Facebook
Twitter
Discord Channel

Convicted Galaxy is a territorial 2.5D space based action exploration game that combines aspects of rogue-lite and shoot ’em up sub-genres with a third person perspective.

Plot
After a catastrophic event aboard an Interstellar Correctional Fleet(ICF) prison ship you find yourself, an ICF guard, stranded in a lawless galaxy full of escaped convicts. Explore the galaxy, equip your ship, and engage the enemy to escape the Convicted Galaxy.

Gameplay
In the game, the player pilots their emergency escape pod spacecraft through 2.5D solar systems while utilizing portals to navigate between solar systems within the galaxy. The player must explore solar systems, build stations, and upgrade their spacecraft to progress through the game.

By exploring the solar systems, the player can obtain various resources needed to build material collection and upgrade locations, called stations. Adaptive audio and 3D sounds, along with visual cues, aid the player while searching for resources and navigating the large open solar systems. Upgrading and equipping the player’s spacecraft is vital to the player’s progress throughout the game. Enemy spacecraft will grow stronger and become more difficult to defeat as the game progresses.

Current Status / WIP
It is likely that our most current state of the game will be at the end of this blog. We try and keep up with it, but if you want to really stay up to date, follow us on twitter @ConvictedGalaxy.

Thanks for looking and let us know what you think.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:15:46 PM by Mind Grown » Logged

- Ryan Bemowski -

- @ConvictedGalaxy - Devlog -
keevee
Level 0

@iAmKeevee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 11:18:12 AM »

I'm the other dev on the game. I do a lot of the AI, core mechanics and game number stuff. If something's unbalanced I'll fix it!

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 05:51:58 PM »

Very cool concept! Looking forward to seeing you progress on this  Coffee

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
smulligan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 05:55:25 PM »

Looks like a lot of fun. Will there be a narrative in the game or will I be free to just roam and destroy everything in my path? Cheesy

Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »

Very cool concept! Looking forward to seeing you progress on this  Coffee

Thanks Davi! We're just determining a plan for the next couple months of the project. After our last big coding push, we are hoping to do more publicity and get some confirmed platforms on board (Steam, Xbox, PS4). Once we figure out a little more, we will sure post it here!

Looks like a lot of fun. Will there be a narrative in the game or will I be free to just roam and destroy everything in my path? Cheesy

For now...  Evil Destroy everything!
There is a plan to have more narrative in the game than there is right now, but overall we want to keep the open world feel to it. You're the one that is stranded, so you get to decide what you want to destroy or claim as your own.

Thanks for the support, we really appreciate it!

- Ryan Bemowski -

nestoriaan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 05:13:05 AM »

This looks interesting! It made me curious, which is a good thing.

Just a couple of short questions regarding the project:

What game engine are you using for the development?

What were your reasoning behind the decision to make the game in 2.5D? Was it due to it being simpler to make, or for other reasons (gameplay, player control)?

keevee
Level 0

@iAmKeevee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »

This looks interesting! It made me curious, which is a good thing.

Just a couple of short questions regarding the project:

What game engine are you using for the development?

What were your reasoning behind the decision to make the game in 2.5D? Was it due to it being simpler to make, or for other reasons (gameplay, player control)?

Think I can pitch in a bit here:

We're using Unity 5, specifically 5.3.4.

When I first came on board the game was entirely 2D in the original concept project, but it was hard to really see what was going on due to the top down camera perspective. So one day we just put it into 3D and started prototyping and it felt right.

Also, just due to the mechanics and design of the game, it works better as 3D. If it were 3D... you could simply fly up and around the asteroid belts, and that's not as fun Smiley

Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 04:07:24 PM »

Also, just due to the mechanics and design of the game, it works better as 3D. If it were 3D... you could simply fly up and around the asteroid belts, and that's not as fun Smiley

I think Kevin meant that it works better in 2D, but aesthetically feels better in 3D. So we just took the average. Tongue

- Ryan Bemowski -

Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »

So, haven't been doing much game dev over the holiday weekend, but I have gotten our Steam Greenlight Submission Fee paid for.  Gentleman

Oh, how did we make the money to pay for our Steam Greenlight Submission Fee you ask? Well let me tell you a story...

Aaron, Kevin and myself all grew up playing Counter Strike in some capacity. Naturally, after we began working on game dev together, we all started playing CS:GO. Some of us got a little more carried away than others, especially when it came to gambling on professional teams. One of us, who shall remain unnamed Aaron, happened to benefit from said addiction much more than the others. So much so that he sold his "AK-47 | Fire Serpent (Field Tested)" to pay for our Steam Greenlight Submission Fee.  Shocked

So, thanks Aaron. I know it was difficult for you to let it go. Which explains why you said so many nasty things on Facebook about me the other night... I forgive you.

Early this week we should accomplish a lot of planning for the months ahead and will post the details here.  Blink

- Ryan Bemowski -

nestoriaan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 01:59:04 AM »

I think Kevin meant that it works better in 2D, but aesthetically feels better in 3D. So we just took the average. Tongue

Yes, and that is a good answer.

I was just curious, since we are also working on a space game and we initially also considered making a 2D/2.5D game.

Space as a setting of course lends itself to 'full' 3D, but choosing that route, as we did, poses problems as well. It will be interesting to follow your progress!

Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »

After a long day of civilized communications between Keevee and myself yesterday, we've accomplished quite a bit of planning for the upcoming months. Tired
With quite a few solidifications on the story surrounding the game we were able to set a few milestones:

• Steam Greenlight submission tomorrow, Thursday, September 8th!
  • Kickstarter starting approximately two weeks after Greenlight submission.
  • New cinematic trailer using gameplay aesthetic.
  • Streaming development or gameplay of Convicted galaxy. (dependent on internets)
  • Introduce and display stats upon win/lose condition.

Today we are just finishing up some final details and images for the Greenlight launch and also getting our press contacts sorted.

A little teaser from getting ready for the Greenlight submission:

We will be posting a bit more about our Greenlight submission tomorrow. Until then... Coffee
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 12:45:09 AM by Mind Grown » Logged

- Ryan Bemowski -

Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 07:08:16 AM »

Full on promotion mode right now. Just need to put together about 100+ emails, write a press release, tweet, post, announce, retweet... fun. Crazy

We just submitted to Steam Greenlight! Please check it out and vote.  Wink

Really can't wait to get back to code.  Cheesy

- Ryan Bemowski -

keevee
Level 0

@iAmKeevee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »

Full on promotion mode right now. Just need to put together about 100+ emails, write a press release, tweet, post, announce, retweet... fun. Crazy

We just submitted to Steam Greenlight! Please check it out and vote.  Wink

Really can't wait to get back to code.  Cheesy

It's been one of those 4am worknights where going to sleep is more like taking a nap and going straight back at it My Word!

Enrique Ponce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 08:52:38 AM »

Congratulations on the Greenlight guys! Reminds me a lot of Galaxy on Fire for iOS.

As a musician, of course I appreciated the in your face sound design and music haha!  Beer!

Film & Video Game Composer
www.enriqueponcemusic.com

Contact at [email protected]
Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 10:27:55 AM »

Congratulations on the Greenlight guys! Reminds me a lot of Galaxy on Fire for iOS.

Thanks! I'll have to check that game out too.

As a musician, of course I appreciated the in your face sound design and music haha!  Beer!

Aaron Koback is doing all the audio for the game at this point. He has a pretty nice style for this kind of game. You can catch a few of his tracks at soundcloud.com/adkoback.

- Ryan Bemowski -

Enrique Ponce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »

Aaron Koback is doing all the audio for the game at this point. He has a pretty nice style for this kind of game. You can catch a few of his tracks at soundcloud.com/adkoback.

Yeah I went to his page a little earlier! I liked what I heard! Very cool that's doing audio for you. Wishing you all the best!

Film & Video Game Composer
www.enriqueponcemusic.com

Contact at [email protected]
Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 08:26:35 PM »

Figured I'd throw up a little Greenlight update. After just over 12 hours I feel that we are doing alright. I've sent over 50 emails out to press writers and attempted at two press releases (I don't think either one actually got posted to the public). I'll be looking into more press for tomorrow, especially in the Streaming and Let's Play realm, but I still feel like something might be missing. Here is a quick snapshot of our stats up until now:

Those stats don't look too bad, but this one is the one that makes me worry. We are that tiny little green line that doesn't quite have the same curve as any of the others.

Hopefully a lot more press and some changes to our visuals can pull in some more 'YES' votes. While I've been writing this we hit 20% to the top 100.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Anyone have any suggestions or feedback about even just a glance at our Greenlight page?

- Ryan Bemowski -

Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »

After a much needed rest, here are our stats after 24 hours.

It might just be the sleep, but somehow I feel better about our progress now. Kinda strange that all of a sudden we received 10 'Ask Me Later' votes, and none during the day. Our 'Yes' to 'No' ratio dropped a little too, less than thrilled about that.

Thanks for checking us out (and hopefully your 'YES' vote).  Smiley

- Ryan Bemowski -

Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »

Happened to find our prototype while I was looking for screenshots. Just taking a minute away from promotion to think about how far we have come.

Feeling a nice sense of accomplishment regardless of Greenlight.  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:53:13 PM by Mind Grown » Logged

- Ryan Bemowski -

Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »

About 4pm CDT Friday, we basically stopped getting views on our Greenlight page. One of the factors is that we are no longer on the front page... I know that makes a big difference. I'm kinda wondering if it is just a typical Friday/Saturday slump, or is it really that powerful to be on the front page?  Concerned

Kinda a little depressed on the inside... but Smiley back to more promotions to fill the gap. Maybe I'll even do a little real game dev if the promotional stuff isn't paying off.  Coffee
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:16:43 PM by Mind Grown » Logged

- Ryan Bemowski -

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic