Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:00:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesZelda: a Link to the Past Randomizer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Zelda: a Link to the Past Randomizer  (Read 8023 times)
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »

Just found this recently, but decided to go into it with little knowledge. This really intrigued me and made me want to play alttp more since I had no idea what I could get. It made me have to be crafty with the current items, seek new ways to explore, and made me have to route on the spot so I could seek the nearest area with available chests to see if I could get more items....or just arrows.

But I wanted to discuss this because it's an interesting design compared to just about everything else I know. It's like a cross between randomly generated open world type games, but instead there's just one set world. The difference is the items given force you into unique scenarios and you have no idea what order you'll face the dungeons in since for all you know you could get the Bow in the last Dungeon!

I'm no random generation designer, but from what I have seen and played, the randomness is very controlled in a sense. Sure you could get some amazing gear or items in MineCraft right off the bat, but when it comes down to it there's also a "path" that you'll normally take. You'll get wood, make items, get food and stone, mine, get better tools and armor, Nether, etc... But here, you really have no idea what could happen and you might end up using items you'd never think of using to fight your way through.

I think a game with a set world but random items which causes random progression would be fairly interesting. Besides this hack... I can't think of anything that does it like this. I've already played alttp 3 times these past few days because of this and learned more about the games items and know how to better route my movements because of it.

If you want to play this, you'll of course need an emulator, and it'll be 1.0 Japanese (cause speedrunners). There are also some neat changes they made, such as less dialogue in some segments, instead of 999 Rupees, you get 9999 Rupees limit, Shovel and Flute are both kept, easier to switch Bottles, and if you're stuck in the Dark World cause you have no mirror saving and quitting will take you to the Light World. Oh, and they've made sure it's impossible for certain items to spawn in certain places. Like the Dash Boots can't be in the library...which you need to use the Dash Boots to get.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 05:43:26 PM »

you didn't mention what this thing actually does. does it just randomize item locations or what?
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »

Sorry, I thought the video was obvious enough. It just shuffles the items in chests/placed around. So Heart Pieces could be Rupees/Bombs/Items, etc.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 12:53:45 AM »

i like the zelda 1 randomizer better just because there's nothing "broken" that requires resets/etc, and not starting with the sword makes it a lot more interesting, and since zelda 1's dungeons really could be played in any order anyways, it works very well.

-Fuzzy Spider
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »

I like the zelda 1 randomizer better just because there's nothing "broken" that requires resets/etc, and not starting with the sword makes it a lot more interesting, and since zelda 1's dungeons really could be played in any order anyways, it works very well.

LttP becomes broken when randomized? And is it randomized each reset or per file?
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 12:21:52 PM »

It's seeded. Basically the creators of the hack have a program that'll make the rom file with a random seed so other players can use it in a race. This hack was dedicated to Speedruns which is why a lot of things have been optimized such as completely getting rid of all rng from the Heart Piece mini-games and having some dialogue skipped completely.

Also the hack certainly isn't broken. I said they made it possible so you can't get stuck, with the only exception I suppose being that if you don't have the Mirror in Dark World you'll need to save and quit.

I've also heard there's an OOT randomizer that changes the rooms you go in which sounds intriguing.

JD1980
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »

Thanks mate. I was looking for this link for a long time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic