Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:14:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralYoutube monetization
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Youtube monetization  (Read 4083 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »

are "big" youtubers actually getting their videos demonetized?
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 01:56:51 AM »

I'm not really one for this whole drama stuff, but I do have some problems with this. I don't normally watch too violent of videos myself. I do follow many who swear and have sexual humor, but I also have people who are fairly tame. What bugs me about this is that they say they're trying to make this more family friendly yet here I am, watching an episode of StephenPlays who never curses (nor his wife) and I get an ad for a horror movie or something equally violent(M rated game) from time to time. Stuff that wouldn't be family friendly or is advertised for older audiences. And I NEVER watch anything that would suggest I'd like those ads.

Then of course we have videos taken down and ones that aren't but clearly violate these rules (Jim Sterling video for source). And we have Philip DeFranco, whom while I'm not subscribed, does News related videos for his audience. A lot of which may involve terrible or even controversial topics. Which his (and AlphaOmegaSin's) videos point out about how these rules make videos simply talking about the News or real events happening around the world are deemed by YouTube as inappropriate. There's also of course the point that television (or other online services) have way more graphic stuff being advertised all the time even when associated with "family-friendly" stuff.

But more importantly; why isn't there an 18+ YouTube or something? Clearly people like some of this more sensitive material and even use it to stay up to date with things. Why not a market for a more adult YouTube? Then again, a lot of things could be said(An actual rival to YouTube...) and there are a lot of things I/You/Other people want but will be unlikely/impossible for the industry currently. Afterall, if YouTube was REALLY all about these rules...I wouldn't be seeing ads for horror films on family-friendly videos.

But the number one thing that aggravates me about this whole situation is how YouTube never communicates with their audience. Not that I think that'll magically fix things, but I feel there would be more of an understanding. Less confusion.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 02:14:53 AM »

I like that youtube is incentivising entertainment which is more than just line-crossing click bait, constant swearing and overreacting. I don't like that crap, it's is so excessively popular on YT and I think it's totally fine to challenge youtubers to make quality content without their dumb cheap tricks for easy clicks.

I actually feel the same way. Drama channels can have their own patreons to support them. In fact, having patreons would probably demotivates youtubers to use clickbait and other misleading dishonesty for views. It would also force them to be more accountable for quality content.

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2016, 02:32:30 AM »

And we have Philip DeFranco, whom while I'm not subscribed, does News related videos for his audience.

DeFranco is guilty of clickbaiting himself. It's clear that he has no issues with using untruth to lure viewers:

Youtube isn't shutting his channel. He knew this. He then decided to title his video for shock value. I checked the video to make sure and this is when I got that this crook was trying to dramatize things for business. He also pleased his followers to buy merchandise in order to help him in this difficult situation. Has he got no pride?

Leafy did the same thing:

This is also a lie. Leafy is notorious for having no moral compass and doing whatever needs to get done to make it on youtube but still.

I really hope Patreon becomes more of a thing to support youtubers. The investors can then tell DeFranco: "Hey dude, enough with the clickbaiting ok?"

It's really hard for me to feel like supporting people like this. Of course, they're not all like that.

This being said, the amount of people of integrity on youtube is alarmingly low. I feel that for a lot of creators, having ethics is more of a hurdle than something necessary.

Which his (and AlphaOmegaSin's) videos point out about how these rules make videos simply talking about the News or real events happening around the world are deemed by YouTube as inappropriate.

OmegaSin thrives on hatespewing, he's an avatar of strife. There's nothing wrong with making videos about this but I certainly understand how advertisers wouldn't want their products linked to his videos. I kind of enjoyed seeing his feet on the fire a bit for this to be honest as he's throwing a fit over his endangered income. Nobody's forcing him to do anything, he can keep making his videos where he rants and bitch about anything under the sun but he won't be paid as much for it. Let's see if he keeps on going the same path.

Just be careful not to be swayed by their discourse about this. They are trying to convince you to support their own agenda for their own benefits. Be wary.

But more importantly; why isn't there an 18+ YouTube or something? Clearly people like some of this more sensitive material and even use it to stay up to date with things. Why not a market for a more adult YouTube? Then again, a lot of things could be said(An actual rival to YouTube...) and there are a lot of things I/You/Other people want but will be unlikely/impossible for the industry currently. Afterall, if YouTube was REALLY all about these rules...I wouldn't be seeing ads for horror films on family-friendly videos.

Definitely a good idea. I can see how people will complain however: "How come I have to go the adult channel, my stuff is family-friendly" etc... etc...

But the number one thing that aggravates me about this whole situation is how YouTube never communicates with their audience. Not that I think that'll magically fix things, but I feel there would be more of an understanding. Less confusion.

Totally agreed. There should be a youtube video in the header of the site where someone informs people about the recent news about the website.

Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2016, 02:57:20 AM »

If you want video games to never have sociopolitical commentary, you'll never have a mature medium. There really is no argument for keeping social justice seperated from video games aside from "I don't like it."

That's what probably most of you didn't understand un the first place. I'm not against a videogame that brings social or political problems. Sneak them in a Mario game is a bad idea but mature games can be suitable for that. But What i was meaning was probably "keep your political bias for yourself": There is nothing wronger than shoving your political bias down other people's throat and nobody likes this, not even the ones who do that. Exactely what Sterling did in some occasions.
A social problem is with many big videogame companies (and many companies in general) that abuse, underpay and forces unpaid overtime to employees, setting up an environment where fear rules. A social problem isn't when someone is not or doesn't do something left wing.

The same problem, unfortunately, is here, with youtubers who can't accept someone is finally clarifying some guidelines that were there in the first place. The "advertiser-friendly" thing was already there, the problem is that most youtubers didn't care. So this was made clear. These people seek for easy money, and when some rules are set up they complain about censorship and oppression. At this point, i wonder who is the corrupt here.

A mature Youtube wouldn't sound like a bad idea but that may cost more money or would confuse people anyway. To me, Youtube for mature and Youtube for not mature would be confusing. But i thought there was already a 18+ filter on Youtube. Wouldn't be that enough? Communication may be better but, seriously, Youtube's a massive site. How to deal with tens of millions of people? That sounds hard to me. Yet a help desk is there.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2016, 03:32:44 AM »

its a deep seatedly um illegal(?) part ofthe western style propaganda(?) for uh governments , and the society, that we areforced not o "rock the boat" because a tech company wont pay me money to say the n word
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2016, 04:29:59 AM »

On the other hand by telling people this they're just going to try to undermine the system and keep their "clickbait titles".
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:03:21 AM by Torchkas » Logged

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2016, 05:07:27 AM »

"keep your political bias for yourself"

oh, ow, the irony, it hurts

its a deep seatedly um illegal(?) part ofthe western style propaganda(?) for uh governments , and the society, that we areforced not o "rock the boat" because a tech company wont pay me money to say the n word

As, usual, not sure if you're trolling or just not getting it.

But basically, yes. But not illegal, just problematic. And not for governments, but rather for the culture and societal discourse. And not forced, but rather that things that are pro-status quo are made to dominate our culture. And not a specific tech company, but rather big business interests in general. And not that people aren't able to be racists (which could and should be addressed separately), but rather other stuff which has already been cited (social discourse, suicide prevention, actual news reporting).

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2016, 05:21:06 AM »

for my use of the word propaganda, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_model

The video in the OP even argues based on the terms established in the model (the job of the artist/reporter/musician etc. is selling viewers/readers/listers to the advertisers)

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2016, 05:49:24 AM »

Why not clearly and openly take an unambiguous position in the conversation as opposed to leaving cryptic, ambivalent comments? Why willingly obfuscate your opinion in a communication with other members? I don't understand the motivation here.

Why not a well written message supported by convincing arguments to Dacke's position?

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2016, 06:35:10 AM »

Suberb Joe has been the local troll savant for... holy shit, 8 years!?

I'm almost certain he was making fun of me, don't worry too much about it Shrug

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »

he is funny though

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 06:50:17 AM »

Not all clicks are created equal
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2016, 07:02:55 AM »

ya, I like Joe

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2016, 07:09:13 AM »

I'm almost certain he was making fun of me, don't worry too much about it

I understand and it's no big deal. On the other hand, it's nice every once in a while to have an intellectually engaging conversation without having the topic end up being derailed as a joke thread where there's this competition as to who can end being the funniest/wittiest regardless of what's being discussed. I might be the exception though.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »

A social problem is with many big videogame companies (and many companies in general) that abuse, underpay and forces unpaid overtime to employees, setting up an environment where fear rules.

A social problem isn't when someone is not or doesn't do something left wing.

WTF

What dpes left wing mean? if anything the former is as left wing as you can get so you have a contradiction.
And what does Jim does that is left wing? bark after abusive micro transaction?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »

ok so looking it up earthworm jimmyjohn is a homophobic piece of shit so you calling people against that a "mob" kinda makes me suspicious of you my dude

Alessio
Level 0

Visual Artist

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2016, 12:04:15 PM »

ok so looking it up earthworm jimmyjohn is a homophobic piece of shit so you calling people against that a "mob" kinda makes me suspicious of you my dude
He's a conservative christian. I don't agree with many things that he writes since i'm neither conservative nor christian. But attacking and boycotting him only because of his views looks just like a low blow to me. That was what i meant.

Jim Sterling may be good for someone, i sincerely don't like him, at all. But, really, can people avoid getting personal, at least?
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »

Let's see if I'm getting you right. Justice is icky. Bigotry, racism, homophobia, racism, sexism are all just personal views and nothing to get upset by. The only thing that matters is if your tone is polite. Am I understanding you correctly?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic