Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:31:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignI feel stuck
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I feel stuck  (Read 913 times)
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:21:41 PM »

I haven't made anything in almost a year now. What do I do? How can I focus on something, how can I finish an idea or just polish up my skills.

Whenever I have an idea I immediately think of the art and just how long it's gonna take, this has pretty much put a stop to anything 3D for me. And I'm really not as good of a programmer as I think I am so I get stuck when I start implementing. I dunno. I'm lonely I want to work with someone else.

I also want to work in a completely different medium everyday but I don't live in a place where that's possible.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 06:52:46 AM »

Try to make a board/card game. No art allowed (or just placeholder from google image search).

Toast Left
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 10:33:43 AM »

Another thought might be to make use of royalty-free, freeware art assets--that might at the least circumvent the problem of making them yourself.

(Indeed, something that might make for an interesting exercise for you is this: challenge yourself to taking a single asset pack and using it to make a small game, using the assets as a prompt.)

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 02:08:06 PM »

Anything is that anything that is not already your forte is going to take a lot more time than something that already is and is going to require a lot of practice and learning. Accept that your early attempts probably aren't going to be great but give it a go anyways. If you want to explore new things it makes no sense to expect them to be like things you already know, it would kind of defeats the purpose.

99.9% of the ideas you think up will be way outside your ability to see through. It's kind of an artistic curse, there are a million things you'd like to create but only enough time and skill enough to create so many of them. Still, think up those ideas. Physically plan them out like you have unlimited skills and resources at your disposal. Exercise those demons. Even if you can't create these amazing projects you are still practicing and developing your planning skills which will come in handy when you finally hit the jackpot and come up with an idea that you can see a clear path for that is within your abilities.

I find it easier to manage the length of time it takes to make something by having several things to bounce between so that I never get so bored of one that I get bored of them all. When I finally do get bored of them all I take a break and spend more time outside and also more time immersing myself in the things I want to create (in this case, art, games, etc.) rather than trying to push myself to continue creating. I don't know what other creator's take on it is, but I know the more I create without a real desire to create the more I begin to loathe and avoid it. I have to think of myself as a person with diverse needs not a  machine whose only goal is to create (a mistake I made constantly in the past).

Loneliness is a tough beast to tackle, but I've pretty much shifted creativity from the forefront of my life to the quiet space I can retreat to when I am trying to recharge from all the chaos of socializing. It was a hard thing to do because I always feel like I should be making or doing something, but by spending more time with people outside my creating I start to long for quiet time to spend creating. So maybe shifting your priorities a bit could help?

Rituals help me a lot. First thing I do when I go to create is start up some coffee and grab a few things to munch on, get some good creative music going, and before I start I try to imagine some scene or gameplay segment that the music I am currently listening to would fit as a soundtrack to. It is a familiar routine that steers my brain in the right direction towards open and creative thinking. It's like how for some a familiar prayer, chant, anthem, or cheer can shift their mood (for example to a more patriotic feeling).

Working with a different medium each day might work for some, but why it doesn't work for most is that you never really get enough time to know the medium or grow at it. You leave it about as skilled with it as you came to it. On the other hand, I have a lot of fun coming up with tools on the spot. You can grab just about any twig you find outside and char the end of it with a lighter and you've got yourself a charcoal pencil. Food coloring makes a decent watercolor in a pinch. I've carved some pretty cool scenes into boards with a rock. You have a lot of options that will grow you as an artist in crazy ways if you open your mind up a bit more.

Despite anything I've said above, your experiences could be much different than mine were and maybe my suggestions don't work so good for you. At the very least, I do think taking some time to rethink your approach and behavior is a good way to go. It's pretty rough when we get stubbornly stuck on something because we see much less options available and things can feel very hopeless and that is a terrible position to be in.

I hope you find what works for you. Good luck! CoffeeToast Right

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »

Whenever I have an idea I immediately think of the art and just how long it's gonna take, this has pretty much put a stop to anything 3D for me. And I'm really not as good of a programmer as I think I am so I get stuck when I start implementing. I dunno. I'm lonely I want to work with someone else.

Feeling 100% the same way. The best advice I can offer (and its tough to stick to myself) is to impose some tough constraints on what you create. Think about what you *are* able to pull off, and immediately shutdown any ideas that will take too long to realise.

Game Jams are great exactly because they impose so many constraints - they'll have a theme and a time limit, both of which narrow your focus a lot. I was taking a break from making stuff, then made this over the course of a weekend for the Global Game Jam. Its not perfect, but its pretty good for two guys in 48 hours, and I learned a lot in the process. The time constraints helped a lot.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »

Try to make a board/card game. No art allowed (or just placeholder from google image search).

Toast Left

Board game challenges: https://www.amazon.com/Challenges-Game-Designers-Brenda-Brathwaite/dp/158450580X

OP you sound unfocused wrt "a different medium everyday".. you gotta pick something and stick with it to see progress!

I feel similarly stuck atm, though not because of medium - there's just several things I'd like to work on and nothing really calls to me as feeling worth my time to focus.

So I'm playing some games friends have recommended to me, marketing an existing game & prototyping board games with friends. Let your mind wander Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic